Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Powermac
Human being with feelings

Default Downloaded newest Reaper update and tracks are now out of time

I just downloaded the new Reaper update and now several of my tracks are now out of time with each other. It's as if several of the tracks have a faster BPM now. Please help! Is there a way to revert to the previous update?

Edit: One of sped up tracks is a "stem" rhythm guitar track. It starts out fine in the intro and then speeds up time pretty quickly. Really weird stuff.

Last edited by Powermac; 06-06-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
foxAsteria

You can always go back to an old version, but I kinda doubt it will change anything:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

Probably what's happened is that some of the tracks or items are not following project timebase and the project bpm was changed.

With the stem track speeding up in the middle it could be that some MIDI input was altering the bpm during the render. Not even sure that's possible but I've had some live inputs get into a render before, so I think the project can actually be altered during a render.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You can always go back to an old version, but I kinda doubt it will change anything:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

Probably what's happened is that some of the tracks or items are not following project timebase and the project bpm was changed.

With the stem track speeding up in the middle it could be that some MIDI input was altering the bpm during the render. Not even sure that's possible but I've had some live inputs get into a render before, so I think the project can actually be altered during a render.
Thanks. Is there a way to "Undo" a render? I did actually render an EZDrummer 2 file and am wondering if that might be the issue. I've gone through the Undo list and even eliminated the rendered file, but same issue.

Also, is there a way to change the BPM of a particular track? Thanks in advance... I'm starting to think that it wasn't the update.

Edit: What's strange is that it only affects the BPM on 3 tracks (unrelated to EZ Drummer) and only affects them in certain portions of the song.

Last edited by Powermac; 06-07-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
grinder

You may have altered (bumped the tempo up or down
have a look on the master track page
(where you have all your tracks) right down at the bottom on the left
of the page just beside stop start record etc
It probably should read playrate 1.00 by memory.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Powermac

Is there a way to undo a render? I've done "undo's" way beyond where the BPM's changed, and To the point that I'm undoing EQ settings from two months ago. Never saw a rendered file.

"Render to file" show 1 file, but it's greyed out. Not sure if that's the current opened file or not, but it's greyed.

Can anyone help? I'm in real need here. Very much appreciate it.

Last edited by Powermac; 06-14-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
grinder

Have you tried
Starting up a new project same name just add a "B" at the end of the new
projects name.
If you have still all your wave files saved make another folder named the same as your new project "B".
Then set your new project up introducing the files from the new folder
to your new project using the same timing you had in the first project when you were being successful?

Grinder
Old 06-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Greg Savage

Which version of Reaper was it that screwed you?
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermac View Post
Is there a way to undo a render?
A render is a completely new file. Just find the old file on your disk with the other recordings.

If you can't find it, you should use the option in prefs/recording to set a more informative name for recordings.

If you open the item properties for any item, there's an option to replace the source file and you can replace it with the old file. If it's a frozen track, use the unfreeze action.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-14-2019 at 06:09 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #9
Powermac

Thanks guys. Going to work with both of your ideas, but have another question.

I just noticed that the playback rate for certain punchins on several different tracks are showing different rates. Could this be the culprit? In other words one take is reading 1.000000 while another is reading 0.998753. It seems logical, but at this point I want to be sure before adjusting.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Playrate of 1.0 is what the item was recorded at. But if you changed your tempo accidentally between takes, you might need to preserve the different rates to keep them in time with the current tempo.

You can select all items and search the actions list for one to set then all back to a playrate of 1. It might solve your problem.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Playrate of 1.0 is what the item was recorded at. But if you changed your tempo accidentally between takes, you might need to preserve the different rates to keep them in time with the current tempo.

You can select all items and search the actions list for one to set then all back to a playrate of 1. It might solve your problem.
Everything was recorded at 1.0 on the master track and most of the individual tracks are showing playback rate of 1.00000, however, some of the cuts vary. It's weird because I never touched the playback rate on any individual track.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Changing the project tempo can also change playrate for items, which is easy to do by scrolling your mouse over bpm etc.

You can't set playrate for tracks but tracks (and items) can ignore project timebase and therefore respond differently to tempo changes than others.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
grinder

Believe it or not this happened to me about 5 weeks ago
If I remember correctly I went back in history and found out just before I had shut down I had recorded a new wave track or midi file I think a midi file.
I had somehow adjusted the play rate (tired and not using the mouse properly and the midi file was recorded at a different BPM.
This gave me the horrors I think that I was left with when I opened up the
project the next day.

Grinder