Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
groovemaster
Human being with feelings

Default Can't Load Linux-Sampler

Hi folks,
There is an entry of Linus-Sampler in the reaper-vstplugins.ini, but When I want to load it's not there.
The installation routine also installs JSampler QSampler and gigedit, which reqires JAVA...I didn't install these...was thi the mistake?
The name of the file is linuxsampler_20120220_setup.exe.
groovemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Anomaly

Hello

It's been a while since I used Linuxsampler, but...

I recall I had to manually move the dll file to my vst plugins folder as it defaulted always to wrong place. However, this may not be your issue here?

Do you mean, the effect does not show up in the list? It should be there is the dll is in the right place.

You are not required to install java & jsampler, but I think qsampler is required as you can't load any patches without it. When Linuxsampler loads into reaper, there is no gui within the plugin. You need to open qsampler manually to manage your sounds.
I hope this helps, cheers.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
groovemaster

Hi Anomaly,
Thanx for your reply.

The dll is in the right place and there is an entry in the
"reaper-vstplugins.ini".
There are 2 other dll's, which provide a GUI for Linux-Sampler and for these Java is requiered. I did all this but Linux-Sampler doesn't show up in the FX-Window of Reaper.
I experienced this a year ago with ValHallafreqecho too. Never found a solution for that.
groovemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
MusicMan74

This is a copy of a post I added to the "Going All Freeware" thread in Aug 2011:

I would like to share how I installed LinuxSampler (w/ Fantasia front end) on an offline WindowsXP 32 DAW as a "portable" plugin.
Previous posts in this thread (~#440s and ~#460s) shared my frustration with the installer EXE requiring an internet connection and the auto downloading of Java. Plus I like to keep my system "clean"- one never knows exactly how an installation app is altering one's system.

Note that these instructions are XP/32-bit specific; I would love to hear that this works on Win7-32 and -64 bit!

Part I
A. Since my DAW is NOT connected to the internet, I downloaded the Java installation
from another computer and copied to the DAW PC via thumbdrive.

B. The "full" Java offline install (~16 MB) is available at:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

C. After Java is installed, I simply disable the "jusched" process (Java Update Checker) from running on startup:
1. Start -> Control Panel -> Java
2. Navigate to the "Update" tab, uncheck "Check for updates automatically"
3. Navigate to the "Advanced" tab, expand the JRE Auto-download section, and choose "Never auto-download"

Part II
A. Download the latest Windows build of LinuxSampler from:

http://download.linuxsampler.org/pac...n32/snapshots/

and then transfer to DAW PC

Note that the latest download(s) INCLUDE the 64-bit version (even though the link name indicates otherwise).
You can see they are building quite often (almost daily). Recent changes are published under the "Latest Subversion Commits" section at
http://www.linuxsampler.org/index.php

(It appears as if the new sfz v2 format support is the current #1 priority!)

B. Use 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) to extract setup file:
i.e. linuxsampler_20110820_setup.exe -> 7zip -> extract to \linuxsampler_20110820_setup
(when asked to "Confirm File Replace" respond 'Yes to All')

C. Create destination folder:
i.e. c:\VST\LinuxSampler
(For organizational purposes, I store my plugins in individual subfolders under C:\VST i.e c:\VST\Synth1\Synth1.dll, c:\VST\Oatmeal\Oatmeal.dll, etc.)

If 32-bit OS:
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\$[42]\LinuxSampler32.dll to destination folder
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\32\ folder to destination folder
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\Fantasia-0.9.jar to destination subfolder "\32"
Add destination folder\32 to PATH environment variable: (i.e. "c:\VST\linuxsampler\32") see below

If 64-bit OS:
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\$[43]\LinuxSampler64.dll to destination folder
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\64\ folder to destination folder
Copy \linuxsampler_20110820_setup\Fantasia-0.9.jar to destination subfolder "\64"
Add destination folder\64 to PATH environment variable: (i.e. "c:\VST\linuxsampler\64") see below

To Edit PATH environment variable:
1. Launch "System Properties" dialog (My Computer (right click) -> Properties)
2. Navigate to "Advanced" and press "Environment Variables" button
3. Highlight "Path" under the lower "System Variables" section:
4. Press "Edit..." button
5. In the dialog that appears, add a semicolon follwed by the destination folder used to the END of the Variable Value (i.e. ;c:\VST\LinuxSampler\32)
6. Press OK to all open dialogs

D. Cleanup
Delete the setup exe and the extracted \linuxsampler_20110820_setup folder.

Part III - Usage
The first time LinuxSampler is run as a plugin under Reaper the user is prompted to "Specify a home directory for JSampler", browse to the destination directory (i.e. "c:\VST\LinuxSampler"). Instruments are added in rack format. In order to play the 2nd loaded instrument (i.e. on midi channel 2) one must the set track to "map midi input to ch 2"
Similar for 3rd rack space, 4th rack space, etc.

Part IV - Other
The plugin is hardcoded to create a "C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\.linuxsampler" folder which stores "instruments.db" file.
This feature prevents LinuxSampler from being a "truly portable" plugin- I plan on asking them to change the code such that the user is asked where to store this file.

Hopefully this information is useful for someone who's looking to add a powerful free sampler to their VSTi arsenal.
As a big fan of the sfz file format, this is a forward looking solution to the ol' rgc:audio sfz sampler.
Plus, there is the ability to open gig files. (Some free gig files: http://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html)
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
Marctwo

Yes, it's an old thread... but I found it so maybe someone else will.

Anyway, just a quick word about getting LinuxSampler a bit more portable.

For Java, I use jportable (google it). There's also a jportable launcher that you can set as the default program for *.jar files.

For the 'path', create a batch file to set the environment and launch Reaper. For example, create a new text document and copy the following into it:
Code:
set path=C:\audio\VST\linuxsampler_20150415_setup\32;%path%
C:\Audio\bin\Reaper\Reaper.exe
Rename the file to 'anything you like.bat' and launch it to set the path for LinuxSampler and launch Reaper in the same environment.

<edit> Of course, you'll have to use your own paths, not mine. </edit>

Last edited by Marctwo; 04-24-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Marctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:58 AM   #6
cerendir

Personally I wouldn't bother with it, LinuxSampler doesn't support multi core processors so it's likely to be of limited use to most people in this day and age.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 AM   #7
Marctwo

Yeah, I wasn't impressed at all. I wanted to try it out for it's sfz compatibility but I don't think I'll be using it at all.
Marctwo is offline   Reply With Quote