Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #81
Evan
Human being with feelings

Thank you.

Reaper question: is there a faster way to replace missing files in items?

I currently do one by one:

1) Select item
2) F2 to bring up item properties
3) 'Choose new file'
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #82
Omni

So to confirm the vocal tracks ARE present? I was trying to download the zip here at work but it's blocked and the Adrive has the max number of connections so I didn't want to boot anyone.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #83
Evan

Yes. The wavs are there but the RPP file references other files. It's easy to point to the existing files and it all works fine.

btw... there are some noticable artifacts on the lead vocal on certain places. Probably from pitch correction?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #84
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Thank you.

Reaper question: is there a faster way to replace missing files in items?

I currently do one by one:

1) Select item
2) F2 to bring up item properties
3) 'Choose new file'
A couple of ways to skin this cat:

(1) delete unused media from track (but don't delete the track itself); choose "insert media" from main menu and choose the file (you could probably load all of the unloaded media in one batch and drag them into the right positions, but it might be a bit of a mess unless you're careful).

(2) drag and drop the file from your explorer menu straight into Reaper (this, too, can probably handle you selecting all the media and dragging it into the Reaper window en masse, but I'm not 100% sure).

Cheers,

Fester2k
fester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #85
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
btw... there are some noticable artifacts on the lead vocal on certain places. Probably from pitch correction?
I noticed that, too, just listening to the dry vox -- very, very prominent artifacts (I heard it through my laptop's kraptastic speakers).

How bad was the unedited vox track? Any chance we could have access to the unedited track in case someone can get smoother pitch correction?

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #86
Omni

artifacts on the vocals? Crap. I'll check it out later tonight. I went through them all last night and didn't notice any glaring problems. I cleaned out the project directory so I may not have the originals...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #87
Bubbagump

Heh, torrents don't work worth a hoot and it sounds like the vox are kaboomified. I'll wait for V2.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #88
Omni

The torrents worked for some people. my internet has been funky at home and I'm having to reboot my modem occassionally so maybe that's it. Is anyone else seeding right now?

My upload to adrive.com doesn't appear to be there. grrrrrrr.

fester2000 what torrent links did you use? the ones from offormerfame.com or the monova.org?

What kind of problems in the vocals? just the verses? chorus? all over? I hope it's just part of it, I don't want to have to re-record the vox again, that'll be like the 3rd time this week lol.

Fester or someone could you email me an mp3 of the vocal track so I can hear what you mean? I can't believe I would have missed it?

offormerfame@gmail.com
Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #89
d.bop

Torrents worked for me. I tried the first links you posted but they didn't have any seeds. I merged the trackers from the second link into the first one and I was able to download them. My guess is those second links you posted are the good ones.

I'll be seeding for a while today.

I haven't had a chance to really listen to it (yet) but I did have a quick listen. Time to brainstorm while I'm at my REAL job

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #90
Coerce

Torrents worked fine for me, used the first link.
All the files are there I just dragged everything in to a brand new project and went from there.

There's some artifacts in the vocals and the last syllable of the first verse has been cut off.

There's some crackling in a couple of the bass and guitar ring outs but I think that's from lead noise.

Other than that I've got a rough one knocked up. Loving the track
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #91
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
fester2000 what torrent links did you use? the ones from offormerfame.com or the monova.org?
I used the monova.org ones -- no problems there (just a tad slow, but by morning all had fully downloaded)

Quote:
What kind of problems in the vocals? just the verses? chorus? all over? I hope it's just part of it, I don't want to have to re-record the vox again, that'll be like the 3rd time this week lol.

Fester or someone could you email me an mp3 of the vocal track so I can hear what you mean? I can't believe I would have missed it? offormerfame@gmail.com
Sorry, dude -- I'm @ work -- I'll render the lead vox track tonight to an mp3 so you can hear it if someone else doesn't send it first.

Also -- quick question re housekeeping -- since you're looking solely for a mix, I'm assuming you want about -6db of headroom to work with? So you wouldn't want any loudness added on the master, right? I'm just a little concerned that if I send a mix that doesn't peak above -6db, it may sound puny next to a mix that's been limited to -0.1db.

Or I can limit the "audition" mix and send you the proper, no-loudness-added mix if you end up choosing to use my mix.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #92
Bubbagump

Quote:
The torrents worked for some people. my internet has been funky at home and I'm having to reboot my modem occassionally so maybe that's it. Is anyone else seeding right now?
I simply can't find a link to a torrent. They all redirect to some search site or a junky app or some other crap. Can you just attach the .torrent to the forum here?

EDIT: Got it. Direct link: http://www.monova.org/download/37240...%20rar.torrent

EDIT2: NM, that link redirects to the main page. Sigh.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #93
Omni

Yes, I'd like some headroom. No mastering should be done to the mixes in general since they will be mastered. It might be wise to provide a limited file too in case other people forget.

I'll keep average RMS in mind when I go to compare.

Click on the "Downlad via torrent!" in the red boxes on the screen shot. That should open up your torrent client.

They make it hard to find the right link I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torrent.jpg (92.8 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #94
Evan

One more thing: the piano track is only in MIDI (in the RPP). And there's no audio file for it.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #95
Omni

correct. I don't have a piano plugin installed at the moment

I was hoping you guys had a VSTi-forgot to mention that though.

Since I may be redoing some vocals I'll try to get a piano render then too.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #96
Bubbagump

Quote:

I'll keep average RMS in mind when I go to compare.

What does that have to do with anything... unless the mix is absolutely smashed... and then your ears will tell you that.

Also... pitch correction... yeah, artifacts. Done told ya not to kaboomify.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #97
wags3d

Default Torrent seeds

Guys I am at work during the day, can you please leave your torrent seeds up tonight so I can pull the tracks down when I get home this evening?

Thanks.
wags3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #98
Omni

yeah but I said I would do pitch correction so you guys didn't have to!

See what I get for trying to make this as painless as possible for everyone.

Bad plan Omni! Bad plan!

Steve's gonna be pissed if I have to make him sing this again lol. oh this week's gonna be awesome.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #99
Bubbagump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags3d View Post
Guys I am at work during the day, can you please leave your torrent seeds up tonight so I can pull the tracks down when I get home this evening?

Thanks.
Mine will be up all night.

As for vox, why retrack? You didn't destructively edit, did you? Like you know... I would have just posted the RPP with the wavs and with ReaTune in it and the mixer could remove it.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #100
Omni

I might have... I cleaned out the project directory and the originals may be lost permanently. BAD PRACTICE I know but I thought they were fine when I listened to them. pffft.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #101
audioguytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags3d View Post

Thanks.
I've been seeding since last night. I will seed tonight as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #102
fester2000

Quote:
I might have... I cleaned out the project directory and the originals may be lost permanently. BAD PRACTICE I know but I thought they were fine when I listened to them. pffft.
Hmm...any chance you could use the "undo" feature of Reaper to go back to a previous, non-pitch corrected vox track?

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #103
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester2000 View Post
Hmm...any chance you could use the "undo" feature of Reaper to go back to a previous, non-pitch corrected vox track?

Cheers,

Fester2k
no, if I cleaned the directory out the original audio files do not exist. Unless I dropped them into the recycle bin.

Where the bad parts? they might not be artifacts and could just be his "awesome" performance on this song...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #104
Omni

The files are gone. I think I can salvage most of the chorus's.

I do hear some pops in some of them and a very rare stutter or something. The verse and backup vocals will probably need to be redone.

I'll record them tomorrow night and can hopefully provide them before I go to bed.

sad panda
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #105
shawnguess

here's a quick mix. . .

http://www.thedigitalgod.com/data/Af...uick%20mix.mp3
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #106
Omni

oh man that's pretty awesome!

It sounds much more like I hoped lol

The vocals don't sound like steve even. the verse vox really need to be fixed and that'll be a sweet ass mix.

oh I'm grinning.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #107
shawnguess

due to the inconsistency of the vocals, it really needs a good bit of automation and quite a few other tweaks to sound great, but its not bad for a quick run.
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #108
Omni

Hopefully I can get some better tracks out of him tomorrow. I wouldn't count on it being too much better though- this songs hard for him to sing because it's so fast.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #109
Kainz

Is this anything like you're after?

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/kainz/Mix_Beta.mp3
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #110
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
Is this anything like you're after?

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/kainz/Mix_Beta.mp3
got so busy fixing vocals I forgot I had this link up. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I've fixed up the chorus vocals a lot tonight so they should sound a lot better and tighter with each other.

I'll see if there's anything I can do with the backing and verse vocals tomorrow-but will probably just rerecord them.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #111
wags3d

Default Piano Audio?

I got the tracks, thanks everyone for the seeds. Omni can you upload the audio for the piano from the top of the song to the end so I can just drop it in when you have a chance?

Thanks,
-Wags
wags3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #112
Lastrite

So what are we supposed to do with mixes?

Post them all here so we can compare notes afterwards? (that would be a valuable lesson)

Or PM them to you Omni?
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #113
Omni

POST THEM! this one is mostly for fun. We'll choose the mixes that we like best and contact the mixers for the remainder of the work.

Feel free to critique everyone's mix here though. Talk about cool ideas and all.

I just had a though this morning. Has anyone ever done "stutter editing"? The drums in the second verse when the vocals come in until they go higher used to be lo-fi. But it might be really cool to try stutter editing there.

thoughts?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #114
Evan

We're waiting for new vocals and a piano, right?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #115
Omni

I've uploaded 2 replacement vocal tracks for the chorus's only. I edited them to be more consistent and removed any artifacts I could find.

They ARE still a little pitchy in places but reatune set to c major should fix that for most spots. There are a handful of spots that should be adjusted by hand.

I'll be working on fixing verse and backup vocals tonight.

SO if you're doing a lot of editing on the vocals right now be ready for replacement tracks which may make your edits useless. My internet my be fuked again so the upload is going really slowly. Should be up in 10/20 minutes under the following URL:

http://www.offormerfame.com/New_Chorus_Vox.rar

I'm rendering the piano now. it'll be ready tonight.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #116
Bubbagump

Getting the piano will be helpful. Different velocity curves in VSTis are a real killer and the MIDI was rendering really poorly in what I was using as the velocities were not happening.... like one note was a ton of bricks and the next was a tap.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #117
Coerce

Quote:
I've uploaded 2 replacement vocal tracks for the chorus's only. I edited them to be more consistent and removed any artifacts I could find.

They ARE still a little pitchy in places but reatune set to c major should fix that for most spots. There are a handful of spots that should be adjusted by hand.

I'll be working on fixing verse and backup vocals tonight.

SO if you're doing a lot of editing on the vocals right now be ready for replacement tracks which may make your edits useless. My internet my be fuked again so the upload is going really slowly. Should be up in 10/20 minutes under the following URL:

http://www.offormerfame.com/New_Chorus_Vox.rar

I'm rendering the piano now. it'll be ready tonight.
I take it it's still uploading as every time I dl it there's only one file in the rar and I get corrupt header error message.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #118
Lastrite

Well here's my take on it I guess. Some notes:

* It's the original vocal tracks, I can't imagine the new ones changing my mix a lot and after all, this is just to get a general idea...
* I used a Piano VSTi of my own (IK Multimedia Group buy thingy)...
* There's some micro-mastering on it to crank it up to K14 levels...
* I used Kontakt instead of SD for drums, so some hits (cymbals) may be 'wrong'...

http://www.forfeit.nl/Stef/After_All_Lastrite_01.mp3

I don't expect to be among the better mixes here, but I had great fun and I view this as a great opportunity to learn. So thanks and keep those mixes coming
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #119
Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coerce View Post
I take it it's still uploading as every time I dl it there's only one file in the rar and I get corrupt header error message.
It looks like it's corrupted. That's fine since I'm redoing some vox this evening I should be able to put all the fixed vocals.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #120
Omni

i'm listening to some mixes here at work but my headphones aren't working right. Everything is mostly panned left with a little on the right. Sort of disorienting.

Kainz-I like your mix a lot though- the bass drum is beefy and the extra guitar really cuts through. I'll give it a more thorough review tonight when I can hear it in real stereo lol

Lastrite-I like how the vocals sound in your mix. The snare and bass drum hit a little too hard in my one ear but we'll see later. I LOVE the stutter drums thanks for trying that out! Nice touch with the cutting out of the guitars at the end chorus too. really great ideas!

In general out of the mixes I've heard I think the piano should be really far back in the mix-lots of verb and roll off some treble.