Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #601
Cybolic
Human being with feelings

The error about p11-kit isn't anything serious or relevant, don't worry about it.

I just tested it on my machine and got it running with a simpler script as well, so let's start over in a terminal:

1. Create the script and make it executable:
Code:
echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexec audacity "$(winepath -u "$1")"' > ~/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/run_audacity.sh && chmod +x ~/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/run_audacity.sh
2. Set the external editor in Reaper as C:\run_audacity.sh.

3. Profit.
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #602
ipa

EDIT. -

Last edited by ipa; 07-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.
ipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #603
ZeeByeZon

Hi there

Congratulation for your work, Cybolic.
I am just giving it a try. I had a few error messages on install (on the command line) but it seems to be OK, Reaper is up and running.

I still have 2 issues :
- It seems like reaper (or wineasio) has only 16 audio inputs, and 16 audio outputs. I would need a bit more for my MOTU828mkII (22/22). Is it configurable somewhere ?
- I have 2 USB midi interfaces, which are accessible from Reaper. But I cannot see the MIDI I/O of my MOTU (which is not ALSA but jack). They appear in jack, but how can I make them show up in reaper MIDI Devices list?

Thank you for your help.
ZeeByeZon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #604
NSky

Default hangs

The installation hangs like this every time:
http://screencloud.net/v/cPQh
Any ideas how to fix please?

----FIXED----
first remove existing files (if any)
rm -r ~/.local/reaper
mkdir ~/.local/reaper

then create win32 arch wine folder manually
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.local/reaper/.wine winecfg

then run LinReaper as usually

Last edited by NSky; 08-29-2014 at 01:08 PM.
NSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #605
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeByeZon View Post
I still have 2 issues :
- It seems like reaper (or wineasio) has only 16 audio inputs, and 16 audio outputs. I would need a bit more for my MOTU828mkII (22/22). Is it configurable somewhere ?
- I have 2 USB midi interfaces, which are accessible from Reaper. But I cannot see the MIDI I/O of my MOTU (which is not ALSA but jack). They appear in jack, but how can I make them show up in reaper MIDI Devices list?
1. Have a look at the README file that comes with wineasio. There are environment variables that can be used, and there are also registry entries that can be used to configure the amount of IO ports (among other things). Possibly the easiest is just to run WINEPREFIX=what_ever_it_is regedit, search for wineasio and you'll find a hive with various parameters.

2. In principle wine can only access the alsa midi sequencer driver, it has no way to access jack midi devices. What follows are conjecture on my part as I hardly ever use midi. There is supposedly a VST plugin called jackass, that can input and output jack midi, search the kxstudio website as falktx wrote it. I've also heard of jack to alsa midi bridges, possibly the best place would be a recent jack1 documentation. I think there is an internal jack to midi bridge client delivered with the latest versions, but have no experience with using it.

3. Best of luck B)
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #606
Awamori

Default Wont open Ubuntu 14.04

Hello,

I have used reaper for quite some time in Windows, but this is my first attempt in linux. Installer seemed to work fine with no errors, but when I try to start reaper nothing happens. I have tried clicking the application shortcut in the menu and also tried executing the reaper.sh file in ~/.local

ASUS X200CA Laptop, Ubuntu 14.04, M-Audio Fast Track

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Awamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #607
ValeryOrloff

Default confirm it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awamori View Post
Hello,

when I try to start reaper nothing happens.
i agree and confirm it.

"wine: cannot find 'C:\\Program Files\REAPER(x64)\reaper.exe'"
Look this

Last edited by ValeryOrloff; 11-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
ValeryOrloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #608
robehickman

Default linreaper problem on 64 bit

There is a bug in this script when installing on a 64 bit system. Wine installs Reaper into the (script created install dir)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86) directory. However the script looks in the plain /Program Files/ which is for 64 bit and fails as the file don't exist. Giving the error:

Code:
a@a-laptop:~/reaper$ ./reaper.sh 
wine: cannot find 'C:\\Program Files\REAPER\Reaper.exe'
The script is rather complicated and does a lot of wine related stuff which I don't understand, so I'm unable to offer a patch at this time. However symlinking the REAPER directory in the plain Program Files directory fixed it for me.

Code:
cd (script created install dir)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
ln -s ../Program\ Files\(x86\)/REAPER REAPER
Otherwise thanks for the awesome script, I can actually import media files now
robehickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #609
Publicradio

I have linreaper running on Ubuntu and everything works great: all VSTs work, the setup is just like it was on windows, I can run it through my external sound card, it's fully functional. EXCEPT:

I can't get low latency without tons of xruns. I've been trying to use a DAW in linux, on and off, for at least 7 years now and this is where I always hit a wall.

Does linreaper use the wine-rt patch? I don't know if that would help. Besides that, there are all these parameters to tweak in jackctl and I've never been able to find the point where I can record in realtime without xruns.

My CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 4
I have 8GB RAM. My Ubuntu host OS is 64 bit. I would think I should have powerful enough hardware. I guess this is mostly a jack question, but if anyone could tell me how to get my reaper/asio/wine/jack stack in proper working order, I would be very grateful.
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:40 AM   #610
vocalfons

Default 32 bit vs 64 bit

Unfortunately i had the samen problem running 64 bit reaper in linux. My host is 64 bit ubuntustudio 14.04. Then I uninstalled reaper and reinstalled the 32 bit version. No more xruns for me!
vocalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #611
Publicradio

vocalfons, I am also running 32 bit in a 64 bit host, but I still have xruns. What is your latency?

I recently found this:
https://bitbucket.org/thismaechler/u...realtimeaudio/

Which includes an -rt kernel and some scripts to reach the lowest possible latency. Regular Ubuntu only offers the lowlatency kernel.

I would look at the commands in the script and run them selectively, because the script removes a number of packages you may want to keep.

Anyway, I will try these tweaks and report back.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #612
Publicradio

OK, I made all the tweaks, and unfortunately, so far, I haven't noticed a difference. One thing I thought of doing is to run Reaper on wine-rt, which is a version of wine designed for low latency.

Can anyone tell me if linreaper uses wine-rt, or if there are any low-latency tweaks done to the version of wine used for linreaper?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #613
BlessedOne72

Default AV Linux 2016 / LinReaper 0.87

Okay ... installed first x64 version of Reaper using LinReaper (0.87.run)
reaper won't open ... then I tried x86 version ... same thing .

the installer (LinReaper) creates all the menu items, icons, etc .
but reaper just won't happen to launch .

what am I doing wrong here ... ?

- zergei W -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #614
audioguy_on_ca

well I just downloaded reaper off the website, made the .exe run with wine and Bob's my uncle (but we call him Rob)...it installs and launches (x64), but that's all I can claim at the moment, since this all happened in the last 10 minutes!
I'm coming from PPC-Mac land with a zbox mini computer...this is awesome if it works...
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #615
John Allsup

Default A few things about Reaper under Wine

There is an issue with the save dialogue, where the default extension is not .rpp, so you have to set that manually every time. More experienced Windows developers may be able to figure out what is going on.

I love how, with some VSTs at least, I can boot a laptop off a usb stick and have a simple light environment running reaper.

I also have got FL Studio running, (though it needs fonts copied off the Windows partition). That has a VSTi mode which works nicely with reaper.

Renoise also works well with it (I run both Windows and Linux versions under Linux, since the former can use some Windows VSTs).
Old 12-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #616
Publicradio

I have been trying Reaper in Linux on and off for years now, and it was always buggy. However, I now have Reaper running great on Linux -- in fact, I'm getting better performance than I ever did in Windows!

You will need to do some tweaking to get this the way you want it, but following these two links did it for me. First, follow the instructions on this blog:
https://alexanderlindo.com/2013/10/0...per-on-ubuntu/

Then, download this guy's scripts:
https://bitbucket.org/thismaechler/u...-realtimeaudio

like I said, extremely stable for me. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #617
reddiesel41264

Is it possible to use native Linux VSTs - .so - plugins with Reaper?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #618
Publicradio

I doubt it. You would be crossing over two layers of emulation. However, you could load them in a jack control panel, like Cadence or one of the peripheral tools that go with it. I know there's one specifically for loading plugins. Maybe it's Catia?

Anyway, if you're using qjacktctl, replace it with the Cadence suite of jack tools. You can load the Linux VSTs natively and use the patchbay to control them with MIDI.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #619
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
I doubt it. You would be crossing over two layers of emulation. However, you could load them in a jack control panel, like Cadence or one of the peripheral tools that go with it. I know there's one specifically for loading plugins. Maybe it's Catia?

Anyway, if you're using qjacktctl, replace it with the Cadence suite of jack tools. You can load the Linux VSTs natively and use the patchbay to control them with MIDI.
Thanks. That sounds like a workable solution, I'll check it out.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #620
reddiesel41264

Quote:

Okay I've got JACK and Cadence running, I have Carla for hosting plugins, but how do I send MIDI from Reaper to Carla? Is there a virtual MIDI cable for Linux?
Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #621
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
sudo modprobe snd-virmidi
Thanks. Any way to get more than 4 ports?

Edit:
After much messing about and failing trying to get WineAsio + JACK + Alsa + VirMidi + Carla to all play nicely together I decided to try the Native Linux version of Reaper. Installation instructions weren't quite clear but I got it up and running in 10 minutes, it has it's own built in virtual MIDI ports - 64 of them! - and they send MIDI to Carla without any problem. It would be nice if the Linux version was receiving more love

Last edited by reddiesel41264; 01-01-2017 at 05:30 AM.
reddiesel41264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #622
Publicradio

Where did you download native reaper?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #623
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Where did you download native reaper?
http://www.landoleet.org/dev/
Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #624
Publicradio

Huh, OK. And what did you grab from here exactly? I'm using Ubuntu, so do I grab libSwell-x86_64-debian-stretch-gtk3.tar.xz?
Old 01-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #625
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Huh, OK. And what did you grab from here exactly? I'm using Ubuntu, so do I grab libSwell-x86_64-debian-stretch-gtk3.tar.xz?
Well the file size gives it away a bit

reaper_529_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz

I can't remember which libSwell I used, try both and see which works for you.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #626
Publicradio

OK thanks. I will stick with Reaper over Wine for now, since it's working so well.

Can anyone tell me how I would alter the screen resolution just for reaper in wine? I know how to change the dpi, which alters fonts, but I have a high-density screen resolution and the whole UI is too small for me. Everything outside of wine is fine, though.

Is there a way to change the resolution just of the Wine emulation layer, or just for reaper.exe?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #627
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Thanks. Any way to get more than 4 ports?

Edit:
After much messing about and failing trying to get WineAsio + JACK + Alsa + VirMidi + Carla to all play nicely together I decided to try the Native Linux version of Reaper. Installation instructions weren't quite clear but I got it up and running in 10 minutes, it has it's own built in virtual MIDI ports - 64 of them! - and they send MIDI to Carla without any problem. It would be nice if the Linux version was receiving more love
There are some good features in the Linux native version and some things missing like vst UI's, the Linux vst's work but they don't have a UI.

The routing from Jack into and out of the Linux native version's tracks is pretty good.

I've been playing around with a vst UI for the Linux native version http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85588&page=18
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #628
Publicradio

Does anyone know where I get the run file? The dropbox link is dead.

Edit: Found it on github.

Last edited by Publicradio; 09-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.