Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
sts
Human being with feelings

Default Display of Monitoring FX status ON/OFF

In the last months, I used Reaper's "Monitoring FX" function more often than before and have a (possibly stupid) question about it.

I added an icon "Monitoring FX" to my main toolbar as a shortcut to be able to switch the Monitoring FX on and off quickly. The icon is linked to the action "Monitoring FX: toggle bypass". It works as it should do, so basically, there is no problem with it.

However, I need a clear visual feedback whether the Monitoring FX are currently switched OFF or ON. But using the "toggle bypass" command as described above, the icon in the main toolbar has a grey background (so I would read it as "inactive") when the Monitoring FX are ON (and the top right indicator is green) and turns green (which means "active", at least for me) when the Monitoring FX are OFF (the top right indicator is red).

I don't know if this is the intended behaviour, but it keeps confusing me since I would expect it just the other way round. So is there a way to simply reverse this behaviour (of the toolbar icon)? Or any other (even better?) way how I can get a clear visual indication in the toolbar that "Monitor FX are currently ON"? I already looked for a different command in the actions list, but couldn't find one that serves this purpose.

Maybe the solution is so simple that I'm just too blind to see it.

Last edited by sts; 03-24-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Typo
sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
foxAsteria

you can use the cycle action editor (sws). the action would look like:

IF
toggle action
toggle action
------step--
IF NOT
toggle action
toggle action

switch the two states around the step if it's not providing the feedback you want.

IF's check the first action for toggle state (only works if the action is an actual toggle and you can check it in the actions list to see if that's the case) and only executes the second action if the IF condition is fulfilled.

But actually, the action you refer to does produce a toggle state and you could simply create a cycle action with a solid dot under the toggle column with this action and nothing else. The cycle action will then check the toggle state of that action and report it correctly on the toggle button.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 AM   #3
sts

Thanks a lot! I never used SWS cycle actions before, so it took me a while and some trial and error before it finally worked. I've created a new SWS cycle action "Monitor FX" and linked it to the command 41884 "Monitor FX: toggle bypass" without any conditional statements (IF, IF NOT etc.).

I may be mistaken, but the toggle column in the SWS cycle actions editor seems to have three possible states: empty - small dot - larger dot. I don't know what this actually refers to, but the command I was looking for only works if I choose the smaller dot.

Thanks again since it drove me crazy that the button said ON when it's actually OFF and vice versa.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
sts

One step back, unfortunately. The solution proposed by foxAsteria worked once, but opening Reaper again after a while, I had the same reversed ON/OFF display in the toolbar that I had before.

As I don't want to spend more time than necessary on this feature, it is probably easier to rely on the Monitoring FX button(s) at the top right. They provide the functions I want anyway: Green if the Monitoring FX are ON, red if they are OFF, as well as the very small button to its right to switch Monitoring FX on or off.

If only it was bigger than it is. I'm not very familiar with changes in Reaper's layout. So I change my initial question into this one: How can I change/increase the size of the Monitoring FX button and switch top right?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Outboarder

Hi
Use this reverse Icon.
Attached Images
File Type: png toolbar_misc_monitor_speaker_2.png (384 Bytes, 181 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gimp Icon template.zip (1.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Outboarder; 03-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
sts

Thanks Outboarder for the alternative icon. But in the meantime, I got used to the Monitor FX button (the square and button top right) that is already there and does exactly what I want, including the expected colors as an indicator of the current state ON/OFF. So I abandoned the idea of using the toolbar for that purpose.