Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #1
sweben53
Human being with feelings

Default Chord track (like cubase)

Cubase has a cool feature called Chord Track. Whick allows you to creat a track that you can base the whole project off when using midi. Great for non piano players as it allows real time playing to be converted to notes within the chords or scale in real time as you play (this works after you have directed your midi track to follow the chord track. You can also input the chords to the chord track by playing the notes of the chord. There is another option for the chord track to "learn" the chords in any given midi track. This is great when you are teaching another person your song as well, or to remember how play an old song.
sweben53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
ivan.lt

I think there could be a Chord Track plugin (ReaChord? ReaProgression?) integrated with Reaper like ReaTune. This is hardly a core functionality of a DAW.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
whiteaxxxe
Banned

hm, yes, the chord track of Cubase ...

you run into deep trouble and/or the need of a lot of workarounds to be invented if you rule the content of midi-tracks by that chord track.

the chord track is obsolet if you have to have notes in one or more midi-tracks that dont belong to the chords given by the chord-track.

lets say the chord track gives you C G F F. you wnat the bass midi-track to play c B BB a. how to do that? and play in another track on top of the G chord a F#m chord to get an 11-chord?

you should have in the first place no chord track, because with a chord track the work you have to do is multiplied.

unless you are making songs that dont contain only notes that are within the given chords. and that is - at least in my case - in no song the case.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
sweben53

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
hm, yes, the chord track of Cubase ...

you run into deep trouble and/or the need of a lot of workarounds to be invented if you rule the content of midi-tracks by that chord track.

the chord track is obsolet if you have to have notes in one or more midi-tracks that dont belong to the chords given by the chord-track.

lets say the chord track gives you C G F F. you wnat the bass midi-track to play c B BB a. how to do that? and play in another track on top of the G chord a F#m chord to get an 11-chord?

you should have in the first place no chord track, because with a chord track the work you have to do is multiplied.

unless you are making songs that dont contain only notes that are within the given chords. and that is - at least in my case - in no song the case.
It allows you to choose to follow the chord track. Worked well for me as I am a guitarist and not a piano player
sweben53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweben53 View Post
It allows you to choose to follow the chord track. Worked well for me as I am a guitarist and not a piano player
yep, so far. but try to have a G in a Dmajor chord on the chord track.

as I said, as long as you stay within the boundaries of simple chord changes, that may work. as soon as you have for example a chromatic bass going down under one staying chord you are screwed. with the chord track following it is not possible to create chromatic lines within a chord, unless you have defined your chord at that position to have all 12 existing notes in it. what would be the same as to turn that thing completely off. and thats only one example. what is about the melody of a song? within the melody of a song there are always notes NOT within a song.

if you want to stay in that simple and primitive grid, ok, then it works. but such is the resulting music. trust me.

and that all has nothing to do with being a guitarist or piano-player. or do you think guitarists have nothing to do with that fancy music-theory that is only for keyboarders?

Last edited by whiteaxxxe; 02-01-2015 at 07:10 AM.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
ProfRhino

well, I'm not exactly known to praise C7/8, but the chord track actually is a pretty cool feature, if you use it wisely.
I see it as a tool to make a quick mockup of a song structure, works great for that and trying out a few ideas is easy and painless.
In case I already have some signature licks that I want to hear verbatim instead of chord-tracked (like whiteaxxxe said), I simply put them on a separate track and tell the chord track to shut up while the grown-ups are playing.
Still, in most pop music the main body of the song can be sketched out nicely with the chord track, and it's a huge time saver.
Later on, when the song is taking shape, nothing is stopping you from adding / having somebody add "real" parts to replace the mock ups.
Exactly like I work with programmed drums, start basic, "fill" in the details later to match the actual "keeper" guitar parts.
If keyboard players and drummers in a band rehearsal room were as easygoing and patient as that, writing songs (guitar centric in my case) with the whole band would be a lot easier ...
ymmv,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
MusoBob

You can try ReaTrak Studio it uses the Region Track for the Chord Track:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645

MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:43 PM   #8
7thresonance