Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
JoneyJew
Human being with feelings

Default What processer should I buy???

Should I go with a processer that has better multi-core performance or is the one with higher single core performance?
Thanks in advance!
JoneyJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
ivansc

6 and two threes, depending on what sort of projects you are doing.
Welcome to the forums, but in order to help you better we need to know a fair bit more.
What is your current system and is it working OK with reaper? What are you using as an audio/midi interface?
What is your budget?

Oh and of course Mac or windows!

You can get a lot of help and information from the free user guide and the free tutorial videos which can be found in the download link above, including how to set your machine up best for multitrack recording once you get it built.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
serr

Shop for speed before more cores for audio work.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
+1 to this. My new rig is based on an i7 7700k running at 4.45 GHz. I couldn't be happier with the performance.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
JoneyJew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
6 and two threes, depending on what sort of projects you are doing.
Welcome to the forums, but in order to help you better we need to know a fair bit more.
What is your current system and is it working OK with reaper? What are you using as an audio/midi interface?
What is your budget?

Oh and of course Mac or windows!

You can get a lot of help and information from the free user guide and the free tutorial videos which can be found in the download link above, including how to set your machine up best for multitrack recording once you get it built.
Thank you! I'm sorry for not giving enough information.
I'm doing recording, mixing and mastering. The system that I have right now is really bad and old... but it was working fine(probably because I have nothing to compare the performance to). My pc specs:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Memory - 8GB DDR2
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Hard Drives - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm harddrives
OS - Windows 10

My budget is around 500CAD(For the whole build)
I don't want to go with Apple just because... I don't want to get into this.
For the processer I'm choosing from i3 6100 or ryzen 1400(I'm also planning to overclock it). 8gb of RAM and and SSD. That's all I need.
Just so you know!
Recording is just my hobbie so JUST SO YOU KNOW! I'm gonna use it to do all kinds of stuff like watch netflix and stuff like that.
Thank you!
(English is not my first language so if I didn't make any sence, I'm sorry)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
JoneyJew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
+1 to this. My new rig is based on an i7 7700k running at 4.45 GHz. I couldn't be happier with the performance.
Unfortunately, I can't afford processors that are more expencive than 250CAD
Thank you for your reply though.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
JoneyJew

Quote:
Have you done any tests to see what's actually better or is it just your opinion?
I'm not trying to be a di1k... just trying to find an answer...
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneyJew View Post
Have you done any tests to see what's actually better or is it just your opinion?
I'm not trying to be a di1k... just trying to find an answer...
My opinion based on my experience. There's always the large real time thread in audio work that needs its own core and can't be split up. Once that core hits 100% you're done. It doesn't matter how many more cores are available. You might find a case with two CPUs close in speed and now the 4 core does more than the 2 core. General rule of thumb is to shop for speed before cores though.

Your computer isn't exactly that old or bad. Put a SSD in it and actually start using its performance. Unless you're running live sound (which needs low real time latency) or mixing a project with hundreds of tracks and plugins. You making 200 track mixes?

Now there are a few newer MIDI instrument plugins that can use a lot of CPU power and actually need a more powerful machine. At least when your track counts start going up. Are you doing live performance with CPU hungry MIDI instrument plugins?

I suggest posting about whatever the specific problem is you ran into with your mix project.

Last edited by serr; 09-23-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
JoneyJew

Quote:
My opinion based on my experience. There's always the large real time thread in audio work that needs its own core and can't be split up. Once that core hits 100% you're done. It doesn't matter how many more cores are available. You might find a case with two CPUs close in speed and now the 4 core does more than the 2 core. General rule of thumb is to shop for speed before cores though.

Your computer isn't exactly that old or bad. Put a SSD in it and actually start using its performance. Unless you're running live sound (which needs low real time latency) or mixing a project with hundreds of tracks and plugins. You making 200 track mixes?

Now there are a few newer MIDI instrument plugins that can use a lot of CPU power and actually need a more powerful machine. At least when your track counts start going up. Are you doing live performance with CPU hungry MIDI instrument plugins?

I suggest posting about whatever the specific problem is you ran into with your mix project.
I see... Well, I do a lot of sample remlacement(EZ Drummer, Superior drummer, etc.). And yes! My computer is not that bad, BUT! I'm not using it for recording and mixing only. This is the computer I use for netflix, youtube(720p max...) and all kinds of stuff like this. I'm just tired of this. I've never had a good"" computer, and I think that now is the time. What processor would you reccomend for under 250CAD(200 real dollars)?

Last edited by JoneyJew; 09-23-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
I see... Well, I do a lot of sample remlacement(EZ Drummer, Superior drummer, etc.). And yes! My computer is not that bad, BUT! I'm not using it for recording and mixing only. This is the computer I use for netflix, youtube(720p max...) and all kinds of stuff like this. I'm just tired of this. I've never had a good"" computer, and I think that now is the time. What processor would you reccomend for under 250CAD?
You're not going to upgrade your CPU for $200. That would buy you a 480GB SSD though. Or get a 240GB SSD for half that.

The other things you mention are general productivity things that the computer does at idle.

So... Your Reaper mix project. What are you hitting the wall with?

Because if you aren't maxing your system out, you'll just have the exact same experience with less money left in your pocket with a faster machine. A faster car won't get you to the store quicker if the root problem is the posted speed limit.

Also, you realize that they sell computers with specs from 15 years ago now right? Newer doesn't always mean faster anymore. You can get 10 year old pro machines with more CPU power than brand new general machines. They sell general machines to folks only looking to browse facebook and answer emails. Your budget would get you a basic spec machine like that possibly even lower than what you already have. (Some of these 'basic' machines might have somewhat newer GPUs for better video graphics and then more ram than you will ever use - because "ram" is the only computer term many people ever learned - but that's about it.)

First, what are you doing to max your machine out with Reaper?
Next, the first obvious upgrade should be a SSD for most bang for the buck.

PS. Nothing wrong with upgrading "just because"! But if you only have a $200 budget, be scientific about it. I think the 2012 Macbook Pros and Mac Pros are the most bang for the buck right now but you sure aren't going to get those for that price.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
ivansc

Yeah - I wound up paying almost double that for a Mac Mini Server from mid 2011, but it IS a very capable little machine.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
C-H

"Also, you realize that they sell computers with specs from 15 years ago now right? "

Sorry, but NO!
This is simply not correct.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
JoneyJew

Quote:
You're not going to upgrade your CPU for $200. That would buy you a 480GB SSD though. Or get a 240GB SSD for half that.

The other things you mention are general productivity things that the computer does at idle.

So... Your Reaper mix project. What are you hitting the wall with?

Because if you aren't maxing your system out, you'll just have the exact same experience with less money left in your pocket with a faster machine. A faster car won't get you to the store quicker if the root problem is the posted speed limit.

Also, you realize that they sell computers with specs from 15 years ago now right? Newer doesn't always mean faster anymore. You can get 10 year old pro machines with more CPU power than brand new general machines. They sell general machines to folks only looking to browse facebook and answer emails. Your budget would get you a basic spec machine like that possibly even lower than what you already have. (Some of these 'basic' machines might have somewhat newer GPUs for better video graphics and then more ram than you will ever use - because "ram" is the only computer term many people ever learned - but that's about it.)

First, what are you doing to max your machine out with Reaper?
Next, the first obvious upgrade should be a SSD for most bang for the buck.

PS. Nothing wrong with upgrading "just because"! But if you only have a $200 budget, be scientific about it. I think the 2012 Macbook Pros and Mac Pros are the most bang for the buck right now but you sure aren't going to get those for that price.
First of all, my budget is $500(for the whole build)
Second of all, I don't think that you've ever seen how a core 2 duo performs.
No offence, but I don't think you're being helpful at all.
Thanks for you time.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
JoneyJew

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
"Also, you realize that they sell computers with specs from 15 years ago now right? "

Sorry, but NO!
I agree.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #15
JoneyJew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Yeah - I wound up paying almost double that for a Mac Mini Server from mid 2011, but it IS a very capable little machine.
I'm not into apple products at all, sorry man.
Don't take this personal.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
serr

Quote:

Sorry, but NO!
Haha. You can get everything from a 15 year ago like machine for $200 - $300 new to a top spec multicore i7 monster for 10x that.

There was a time when every new model released was bigger/better/faster and it was fun to drool over the new catalog every 3 months. It's not like that anymore and those $300 machines you see are not full spec models.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #17
ivansc

Quote:
I'm not into apple products at all, sorry man.
Don't take this personal.
(grin) me neither - Main machine is an older i7 powered win10 pro machine, but I was making the point that for 500 bucks you can pick up a very capable machine used.

If your existing computer is a desktop build, I would suggest you do what I do - keep the parts that are still current and rebuild to a better spec. My case and most of the drives go back a long time but still work fine.
Generally just a case of buying an appropriate cpu motherboard and ram bundle, which are out there for decent prices if you dont fancy going used. And FWIW I dumped MY core 2 Duo laptop for an i5 one years ago - had all kinds of trouble with my Focusrite Saffire interface though! Worth bearing that side of things in mind, too.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #18
C-H

Quote:
Haha. You can get everything from a 15 year ago like machine for $200 - $300 new to a top spec multicore i7 monster for 10x that.

There was a time when every new model released was bigger/better/faster and it was fun to drool over the new catalog every 3 months. It's not like that anymore and those $300 machines you see are not full spec models.
Multicore CPUs was not a thing 15yrs ago.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
serr

Quote:
Multicore CPUs was not a thing 15yrs ago.
I was running a dual 1.25GHz G4 around 2001 or 2002.

The current i7 CPUs come in many levels. The $300 machines are not magically cheap versions of the $2000 machines with the same specs. The low end ones are more similar to what was cutting edge 15 years ago. Better graphics and more ram but light duty CPUs.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #20
drumphil

Well, maybe not 15 years ago, but you can buy a quad core atom CPU that is slower than many 10 year old CPU's.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #21
drumphil

How about this for an option. You can get a second hand HP 8200 series small form factor PC from ebay, with a quad core i5 2400 3.1 ghz (turbo boost to 3.4ghz) cpu with a relatively quiet heatpipe cooler, and 8gb of ram, a windows 7 license, and a 500gb hdd, for US $116.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-HP-El...NP1EO73Yy0SLNA

Or something like that. Spend the rest on an SSD as your operating system and stuff you want to be really fast drive.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #22
drumphil

Quote:
Thanks for you time.
Actually, he's kinda got a point. I don't think he's got everything right and completely reasonable for what you are thinking about, but you would be wise to consider what he is saying about the relative importance of different parts depending on what the bottleneck with your current system actually is.

If you want to spend more you can get second hand i7 3.4 ghz 3370 computers for around US $400 on ebay.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #23
serr

Quote:
Thanks for you time.
For a $500 budget, you need to be very selective and frugal but you could end up with a decent fast system that really does a lot. Possibly every last thing you want it to. You could also spend 4 times your budget in a worst case scenario and have a pretty useless system on the other end of the equation. Your assumptions are not accurate about my experience with C2D CPUs either.

Anyway, I tried to be helpful as people tend to do in this forum and give you some bullet points you asked for. Careful being stubborn with that tight budget. It's really obvious this is a theoretical discussion on your end as well at this point because you don't have a single example of maxing out your current system to share. Do you really want to go spending big money on something when you don't even know where your current system sits?

The first thing you need to do is put your wallet down and tear into an audio project. When you hit the first wall, get back on the forum and ask questions based on that. You may discover you already have a capable system or you just need a SSD for it.

Anyway, I'll stop being unhelpful now as requested. Good luck though.