Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
lossfound
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI note randomization, Stillwell randomizer, etc.

Hey all, I need a plugin that will output random MIDI notes on trigger from note-on. The JS Stillwell randomizer almost does it for my purposes... the problem being that as far as I can tell it will only trigger from a single input note. I need a range of possible input notes, so I can do things like play 32nd notes from two alternating fingers... and microtonal (pitch-bend) variation would also be nice (although I could probably add it with one of the IX MIDI_Tools after the fact).

I've looked all over the Internets for a VST MIDI plugin that will do the job, and installed a bunch, but they all basically crash REAPER immediately. I'm no coder... but I'm guessing the Stillwell randomizer could be modified relatively easily to take at least a range of two input notes as triggers?

Alternately will take suggestions for any external MIDI VST plug that will do the trick

Thanks.
lossfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
the all new rob

Have you tried this one:
http://www.thepiz.org/dl/?p=vst

Scroll down to randomid 1.0.

I think some of the other stuff on that page may align well with your aesthetic also.
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

not exactly what you're after, but JS/schwa/midi_modal_randomness will output lots of random but structured midi notes.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
lossfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
Have you tried this one:
http://www.thepiz.org/dl/?p=vst

Scroll down to randomid 1.0.

I think some of the other stuff on that page may align well with your aesthetic also.
Yep... tried it... getting some weird behavior (only responding to about 4 out of every 5 note-ons, no note-off messages). At least it runs, unlike most of the others. Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
lossfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
not exactly what you're after, but JS/schwa/midi_modal_randomness will output lots of random but structured midi notes.
That is definitely pretty darned neat, I'll probably end up finding some use for it now, but it's not quite what I am after here. If I'm getting the controls right... it's kind of more an algorithmic-ish arpeggiator... I am going for completely random pitches across a specified gamut triggered exclusively at my non-quantized whim. Like I said, the Stillwell randomizer would be perfect, if only it would allow me to trigger with at least two keys, if not the entire keyboard / polyphonically...

edit: Totally embarrassed to share this mp3 because it was just a way of killing time while the microwave finished with my veggie burgers, and I didn't even bother with the metronome (or a consistent meter for that matter):
http://lossfoundation.com/demos/the_future_3a.mp3

...but it does *sort* of exemplify what I'm after. This is being achieved with random pitch modulation on two awful samples, but I want the actual MIDI output to be randomized so I can load up a whole keymap's worth of awful samples and unleash an unrelenting, effortless assault on... I dunno, my cats.

Last edited by lossfound; 01-29-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
gregh

do you have matlab? - there is a miditoolbox for it that, strangely enough, i am using today to generate random pitches and onset times using a variety of distributions.
if you don't have it i could probably generate some for you.

aaaargh
actually i am being stupid - i think temper will do all this and more

available at www.angryredplanet.com

Last edited by gregh; 01-30-2008 at 04:07 AM.
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
LateStarter

I had a quick look and I think stilwell's randomiser should be easy to change, but I have to go to work!!! I'll have a look tonight.
LateStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
lossfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
do you have matlab? - there is a miditoolbox for it that, strangely enough, i am using today to generate random pitches and onset times using a variety of distributions.
if you don't have it i could probably generate some for you.

aaaargh
actually i am being stupid - i think temper will do all this and more

available at www.angryredplanet.com
I don't have Matlab-- tried to figure it out once in an effort to see if it would generate high-quality EPS captures of waveforms but I'm just a dumb musician-- and also I am just looking for random note triggering on demand rather than algorithmic composition, but... what is this Temper business?! This looks highly intriiiiiguing. Thank you for the heads up.

edit: Not clear from reading through, can Temper be used as a VSTi within REAPER a la eXT?

Last edited by lossfound; 01-30-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
lossfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStarter View Post
I had a quick look and I think stilwell's randomiser should be easy to change, but I have to go to work!!! I'll have a look tonight.
A look at the code made me think the same thing but I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag. I can't even state how grateful I'd be if someone pulled this off!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
IXix

Waving my own flag, have you tried Variant? It should be able to do what you want.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
LateStarter

I commented out a couple of lines so now I think Slider1 doesn't do anything. See if it works.
An alternative that would not be hard would be to add another slider so you could choose to listen for a range of notes between Slider1 and a new Slider2 to trigger random pitches.

unzip the file into your Reaper/Effects/SStillwell folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip randomizer_noSlider1.zip (1.3 KB, 431 views)
LateStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
gregh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossfound View Post

edit: Not clear from reading through, can Temper be used as a VSTi within REAPER a la eXT?
nope, it's stand alone - another (stand alone) one that might be good if you are looking for live interactive random shit is USINE.
http://www.sensomusic.com/news/
Neither replace Reaper, but are great (and affordable - possibly free!) adjuncts
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
lossfound

LateStarter - Wow, thank you sooooooooooooo much. It does in fact work really well... the only issue being that a note-on prior to a note-off on the previous note results in a stuck note... see attached. Perhaps this is why Mr. Stillwell only had it listen to one note to begin with... I thought that was a weird limitation.

The stuck notes are kind of cool, and of course they can always be edited out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Waving my own flag, have you tried Variant? It should be able to do what you want.
Yes, that also does in fact seem to do what I want, thank you for the heads-up. I was digging through the JS plugins yesterday, dropped it into a track setup, wondered what it did, pressed "Edit" for more info as instructed... and didn't see much info in the comments. But yeah, this is pretty great too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stillwell_hacked_randomizer.rpp.zip (5.1 KB, 436 views)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
lossfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
nope, it's stand alone - another (stand alone) one that might be good if you are looking for live interactive random shit is USINE.
http://www.sensomusic.com/news/
Neither replace Reaper, but are great (and affordable - possibly free!) adjuncts
I've been hearing a lot about Usine and was looking at it over the weekend, but haven't given it a go yet. I was hoping it would be comparable to Bidule, but it doesn't quite look as flexible or as able to do weird stuff. Still, I'll probably give it a shot soon to see if it's got some potential that's not obvious from the screenshots etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #15
IXix

Quote:
pressed "Edit" for more info as instructed... and didn't see much info in the comments.
Oops! Missed that. There used to be notes in the scripts for some of my effects but I removed them and put the documentation into a seperate file and later onto the wiki. Sorry about that!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #16
lossfound

Quote:
Oops! Missed that. There used to be notes in the scripts for some of my effects but I removed them and put the documentation into a seperate file and later onto the wiki. Sorry about that!
Heh, np. Nothing beats real-world straightening-out from the developer.

I know you're likely done with this development-wise but are you in love with the name of the plugin? It seems to me it might be more obvious what it does if you put "random[ize]" somewhere in the name, so dolts like me looking for a quick fix to a laziness problem might be able to find it more easily.

I like the option of "predictably patterned randomization" that your plug offers. I'd never thought of trying something like that. Actually makes me want to see if I *can* learn to code JS to try similar screwy things out.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #17
IXix

Quote:
I know you're likely done with this development-wise but are you in love with the name of the plugin?
Hey! The name is the most important part of the development process.

Seriously though, now it's out and people may be using it, I can't change the name. Besides, it's more about variation than randomisation.

Quote:
I like the option of "predictably patterned randomization" that your plug offers. I'd never thought of trying something like that. Actually makes me want to see if I *can* learn to code JS to try similar screwy things out.
Dive right in! It's pretty easy really, once you get used to it. MIDI stuff is especially easy since there's no scary maths involved.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
lossfound

Quote:
Seriously though, now it's out and people may be using it, I can't change the name.
Yeah, jeez, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I was not by any means insulting the name-- just thought it'd be awesome if it came up when I typed "ran" in the filter.

Thanks for the encouragement... I've been using REAPER for two years now but hadn't really ever dug into the JS stuff provided with the install. I'm pretty embarrassed, especially since I've had interest in things like cSound etc. in the past. The realtime aspect of the code is really amazing (again, how did I miss this?!) and I ought to be checking into it. I'll stare long and hard at your source sometime and see what I can figure out.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
Publicradio

I enabled this randomizer, and it seems to do exactly what I want. However, it isn't sending note off, so the notes sustain forever. Is anyone else having this problem?
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #20
preferred.nomenclature

Not in front of my machine right now but I'm pretty sure you could patch something together with available JS plugins: note remapper (many notes to one)-> stuck note killer -> stillwell random note
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
lowellben

I love these randomizer plugins but how do you get Reaper to notate the MIDI output notes into a MIDI item so I can edit in MIDI editor?

I tried setting output to MIDI and other options but nothing worked.

These random plugins are great but I can't record the data, it only plays back.

Can you tell me how to get the output of these JS random MIDI generators to populate into a MIDI item? Thank you.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #22
lowellben

Solved it. Had to enable merge MIDI bus in the VST plug I was using to output MIDI.

Merge MIDI bus allows the random MIDI to be written to output on track. Love this!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:50 AM   #23
STOP

All the Stillwell randomizer that i tried are broken. The midi note off is wrong. Is there a fix somewhere?

Edit: the issue is only when played with a midi keyboard.

Last edited by STOP; 07-03-2022 at 06:15 AM.
STOP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #24
Time Waster

Maybe not quite what you are after, as it's not triggered by a note-on, I have a random note generator here - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38410/Rand...Sequencer.jsfx

From the instructions:
---------------------
Random note generator with the option of filtering the output by mode, or by a custom scale. Note value, note length, note velocity and note send probability can all be randomised within a selectable range.

To use the custom scale option, select 'Custom Scale' from the 'Mode' slider, and click the key buttons in the graphics area to toggle the notes you want to use.

The transport must be running to get output.
----------------------

The note values can be used to trigger a drum or percussion FX to create random patterns, which can be fun. I could probably modify it to be triggered by note-on, as an option. That might be a useful addition.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #25
Time Waster

Regarding my post above, I have added the option to trigger by midi note.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:04 AM   #26
STOP

Thanks Time W.

I tried the latest script and it didn't work.
If you look at the Midi activity log from ReaControlMidi the first 2 (0 and 1) lines was triggered by C4 on the keyboard and there is no Note OFF but instead 2 Note ON 62 and 68.

Attached Images
File Type: png a1.png (11.7 KB, 646 views)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:49 AM   #27
Tale

I haven't tried RandomModalSequencer.jsfx myself, but looking at the source code it would seem to set trig_note when status == 0x90, even if velocity is zero. Only status == 0x80 will set end_note. So if your MIDI controller sends Note Off as 90 xx 00, then the current code will not recognize it as such.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #28
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
I haven't tried RandomModalSequencer.jsfx myself, but looking at the source code it would seem to set trig_note when status == 0x90, even if velocity is zero. Only status == 0x80 will set end_note. So if your MIDI controller sends Note Off as 90 xx 00, then the current code will not recognize it as such.
Is it the same issue with sstillwell/randomizer ?
Old 07-05-2022, 07:52 AM   #29
STOP

I added the DarkStar script.
Last post here:
https://forum.cockos.com/archive/ind.../t-171197.html

... and now the sstillwell/randomizer script work with my keyboard.

@Tale Thank you for the hint.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #30
Time Waster

Quote:
Ah yes, I should have thought of that. I'll fix it in the next day or so.

Last edited by Time Waster; 07-05-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #31
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
Is it the same issue with sstillwell/randomizer ?
Yeah, I think so.

Quote:
I added the DarkStar script.
Last post here:
https://forum.cockos.com/archive/ind.../t-171197.html

... and now the sstillwell/randomizer script work with my keyboard.
Nice!

Should anyone want to fix this, so it works with any MIDI controller out of the box, then you could change stillwell/randomizer like this:

Code:
@block
  while(
    midirecv(mpos, msg1, msg2) ? (
-     (msg1 & 240) == note_on ? (
+     (msg1 & 240) == note_on && (velocity = (msg2 & 65280)) ? (
        ((msg1 & 15) == chan) || chan==-1 ? (
          (msg2 & 255) == note ? (
-           velocity = msg2 & 65280;
            newnote = floor(rand(end-start)) + start;
            newnote == prevnote ? newnote == end ? newnote = start : newnote += 1;
            midisend(mpos, msg1, velocity | newnote);
            prevnote = newnote;
          );
        ) : (
          midisend(mpos, msg1, msg2);
        );
-     );
-     (msg1 & 240) == note_off ? (
+     ) :
+     (msg1 & 240) == note_off || (msg1 & 240) == note_on ? (
          (msg2 & 255) == note ? (
            midisend(mpos, msg1, newnote);
            prevnote = newnote;
          );
        );
      );
    );
  );
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:29 AM   #32
STOP

Quote:

Should anyone want to fix this, so it works with any MIDI controller out of the box, then you could change stillwell/randomizer like this:

Code:
@block
  while(
    midirecv(mpos, msg1, msg2) ? (
-     (msg1 & 240) == note_on ? (
+     (msg1 & 240) == note_on && (velocity = (msg2 & 65280)) ? (
          (msg2 & 255) == note ? (
-           velocity = msg2 & 65280;
            newnote = floor(rand(end-start)) + start;
            newnote == prevnote ? newnote == end ? newnote = start : newnote += 1;
            midisend(mpos, msg1, velocity | newnote);
            prevnote = newnote;
          );
        );
-     );
-     (msg1 & 240) == note_off ? (
+     ) :
+     (msg1 & 240) == note_off || (msg1 & 240) == note_on ? (
          (msg2 & 255) == note ? (
            midisend(mpos, msg1, newnote);
            prevnote = newnote;
          );
        );
      );
    );
  );
It took me a while to understand the + and - sign of your @block part script but ounce I figured it out the script work as expected with a midi keyboard.
I renamed it to randomizer_2

Thank you Tale.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #33
Time Waster

I've fixed the Random Modal Sequencer for note-on with velocity 0. Not tested, but it was an easy fix, so it should work.

Last edited by Time Waster; 07-05-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #34
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I've fixed the Random Modal Sequencer for note-on with velocity 0. Not tested, but it was an easy fix, so it should work.
I very much like the idea of the scales.

There is an issue when, accidentally, more than one notes is simultaneously played on the keyboard. After a certain time no more notes is played. If I stick on one note, let's say C4, it work fine. I'm no programmer but it look/sound like a buffer issue.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #35
Time Waster

Quote:
I very much like the idea of the scales.

There is an issue when, accidentally, more than one notes is simultaneously played on the keyboard. After a certain time no more notes is played. If I stick on one note, let's say C4, it work fine. I'm no programmer but it look/sound like a buffer issue.
It's only monophonic. In sequencer mode, no note is longer than the note increment chosen. It's not looking at the note value to sort out overlapping notes or anything. I just cobbled the note trigger thing together quickly. You need to make sure to send a note-off before sending another note. I'll have a look at that later and see if it's possible to make it polyphonic.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:01 AM   #36
STOP

Quote:
It's only monophonic. In sequencer mode, no note is longer than the note increment chosen. It's not looking at the note value to sort out overlapping notes or anything. I just cobbled the note trigger thing together quickly. You need to make sure to send a note-off before sending another note. I'll have a look at that later and see if it's possible to make it polyphonic.
Your right, it's monophonic and this is what I need, but there's a bug when playing different notes (monophonicaly) on the keyboard.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #37
Time Waster

The latest update can now handle overlapping trigger notes. I did find one small bug: if playing the same note repeatedly very quickly, you can get a stuck note, but if you play another note, the stuck note gets unstuck. I'll look at that bug later, but it shouldn't cause too much of a problem if playing sensibly.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #38
STOP

Randomly I loose notes and at same time the red light doesn't light up on the JSFX keyboard.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #39
Time Waster

Quote:
Randomly I loose notes and at same time the red light doesn't light up on the JSFX keyboard.
Is the send probability set to 100%?
Old 07-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #40
STOP

Quote:
Is the send probability set to 100%?
Yes.

and I checked if the keyboard always send a note by inserting ReaControlMidi at the top of the chain. Log activity tell me that Keyboard is not the culprit.