Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #121
b0se
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
This looks awesome! Not unlike Fusion, which is my favorite. The only thing I would change is the layout - which for me would need to show FX, Volume, Route, M/S and Pan for tiny track sizes.
Cheers. It came about as I couldn't use your mod of Fusion in HiDPI mode :¬)

I'm not sure what you mean, could you show an example?
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #122
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I've also fixed the channel volume readout bug in rtconfig, but it borked the graphic alignment so I had to tweak (hack!) them to get it all lined up. Looks nice now.
Yay, finally a workaround to fix the cut off, at least for 100% layouts.
Great input @synkrotron!
– there's still some cut off or lack of rounding values when meter is downsized or using v6 narrow form, not sure if that matters for this theme though.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #123
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Great input @synkrotron!
Thank you

I only put effort into "fixing" the trunkated text for the normal width layout only because I would never use a mixer strip that has a knob instead of a fader. I did have a hardware mixer once that used knobs instead of faders but faders give so much better visual feedback in my opinion

Of course, each to their own and all that
Old 12-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #124
b0se

Quote:
Yay, finally a workaround to fix the cut off, at least for 100% layouts.
Great input @synkrotron!
– there's still some cut off or lack of rounding values when meter is downsized or using v6 narrow form, not sure if that matters for this theme though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Thank you

I only put effort into "fixing" the trunkated text for the normal width layout only because I would never use a mixer strip that has a knob instead of a fader. I did have a hardware mixer once that used knobs instead of faders but faders give so much better visual feedback in my opinion

Yeah it's cut off in the narrow form. I'd never use that though for the same reason, normal width is pretty much perfect for HiDPI...

Looks good though.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #125
PhelixK

Quote:
Thank you

Yeah I agree, vol.knobs can be a total ’turn-off’ 75 and 50% still have the faders though.
At work I’m mostly using a FaderPort 16, and at higher track counts I usually prefer to shrink the width, if possible.

Quote:
Looks good though.
It looks excellent, no doubt!
There will always be a compromise, as an example the chosen font is imo a beautiful contemporary typeface, but to some extend, limits the available information when used on narrow widths. Definitely not a critique, and I'm confident you have evaluated this from the very beginning
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #126
b0se

Quote:
Yeah I agree, vol.knobs can be a total ’turn-off’ 75 and 50% still have the faders though.
At work I’m mostly using a FaderPort 16, and at higher track counts I usually prefer to shrink the width, if possible.

It looks excellent, no doubt!
There will always be a compromise, as an example the chosen font is imo a beautiful contemporary typeface, but to some extend, limits the available information when used on narrow widths. Definitely not a critique, and I'm confident you have evaluated this from the very beginning
Thanks! Yes, this font is for HiDPI, normal mixer width. I'll look into suitable alternatives for the standard resolution version once this one is finished :¬)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #127
Xaviez

Can't wait till this is released for 1080p! It is seriously one of the best looking theme I've seen in a DAW, it's even giving Logic a hard run for it's money!

Couple of things on my mind meanwhile:
1. Are you going to do any theming of the MIDI editor? Not seen any screenshots of that yet.
2. Will the theme support the Theme Adjuster script? If not, can you add a TCP layout with a longer "Input" box? When setting it to MIDI All Channels and selecting record modes like "Overdub" or "Replace" the text in this gets rather long (see attached screenshot), and this is valuable information to have at hand when composing using MIDI mainly. I'm just guesstimating but from the screenshots this box seems a bit too short for such long text.
3. Are you adding support for track controls in the theme (see the same screenshot)? I've downloaded a couple of themes that doesn't support this and its a bummer when you really like a theme and it doesn't support this. :/
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDIinput.PNG (7.2 KB, 268 views)
Xaviez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #128
Ideosound

This is looking fantastic, always happy to test as I'm sure are many others. When you feel it is ready, if you are making it free.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #129
Mordi

Quote:
Cheers. It came about as I couldn't use your mod of Fusion in HiDPI mode :¬)

I'm not sure what you mean, could you show an example?
Cool! I was thinking of doing this as well, although I don't have a 4k monitor yet.

Sure, I can show you an example:

This is the track size I normally work with. It's as small as technically possible, but I can still edit everything I need; volume, pan, FX, mute, solo and routing. I don't use the mixer at all. I only work with the TCP.

This was the reason I made that Fusion edit - because the normal Fusion layout hides essential elements when track height is at the minimum.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #130
synkrotron

Quote:
I don't use the mixer at all. I only work with the TCP.
I always find it interesting to hear how we all work with our DAW

I'm totally different as I only ever use the MCP for mixing and the TCP for arranging stuff.

BTW, those skeletons on the top of your nearfields are pretty damn awesome haha!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #131
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviez View Post
Can't wait till this is released for 1080p! It is seriously one of the best looking theme I've seen in a DAW, it's even giving Logic a hard run for it's money!

1. Are you going to do any theming of the MIDI editor? Not seen any screenshots of that yet.
2. Will the theme support the Theme Adjuster script? If not, can you add a TCP layout with a longer "Input" box? When setting it to MIDI All Channels and selecting record modes like "Overdub" or "Replace" the text in this gets rather long (see attached screenshot), and this is valuable information to have at hand when composing using MIDI mainly. I'm just guesstimating but from the screenshots this box seems a bit too short for such long text.
3. Are you adding support for track controls in the theme (see the same screenshot)? I've downloaded a couple of themes that doesn't support this and its a bummer when you really like a theme and it doesn't support this. :/

1. MIDI Editor - yes. I've already replaced the colour map, I may change the keys, although I already like them. We'll see.

2. Yes it supports the Theme Adjuster. I'll be listing the recommended settings when releasing the first beta.

3. Yes I'll be skinning track controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
This is looking fantastic, always happy to test as I'm sure are many others. When you feel it is ready, if you are making it free.
Beta hopefully tomorrow. I keep finding more things to theme.

Quote:
Cool! I was thinking of doing this as well, although I don't have a 4k monitor yet.

Sure, I can show you an example:

This is the track size I normally work with. It's as small as technically possible, but I can still edit everything I need; volume, pan, FX, mute, solo and routing. I don't use the mixer at all. I only work with the TCP.

This was the reason I made that Fusion edit - because the normal Fusion layout hides essential elements when track height is at the minimum.
I don't use the mixer either (bar the active track on the left hand side), I mis in the TCP too, but in the size you see in most the screenshots.

The mini view has everything you've mentioned:

:¬)
Old 12-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #132
b0se

TCP envelopes fully finished:

Old 12-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #133
mlprod

You are most likely creating the best Reaper theme ever. Cant wait to beta test.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #134
TheMaartian

Quote:
On the MCP? Probably not, I'll customise those when I've finished the transport.

Heck, thanks so much. I'll have a look into it after I've got it all working in the current order.

Nearly there (mockup), just need to design the repeat/loop button:

I'm really liking where this theme mod is going! Just wondering why the play button triangle points left instead of right.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #135
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
I'm really liking where this theme mod is going! Just wondering why the play button triangle points left instead of right.
Or it could be pointing down to the left, or up to the left
Old 12-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #136
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
You are most likely creating the best Reaper theme ever. Cant wait to beta test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to releasing it, put many (many) hours in already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviez View Post

Update for you, very happy with this design for track controls (sorry for poor quality GIFS!):

Proper screenshot:

Sexy!

Any theme wizards out there know how to push the text to the right a bit? It's too close to the dial for my liking, but I can't find where to do it in rtconfig.

I'd also like to tweak the font colour. mcp_fxparam_byp/off don't seem to work either, the bypass graphic looks like it's being pulled from some FX list image.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #137
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
That was the first PS mockup. T'was fixed a while back (check the more recent transport images on the previous page).

Quote:
Or it could be pointing down to the left, or up to the left
Old 12-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #138
b0se

Think I prefer this actually!

:¬)
Old 12-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #139
glymur

Really incredible work. So excited to try this out. Thanks for working so hard on it.
glymur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #140
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymur View Post
Really incredible work. So excited to try this out. Thanks for working so hard on it.
Cheers! There's some small square buttons that I've not skinned but I have no idea where they're used. Beta testers will be able to help iron out the final touches :¬)
Old 12-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #141
b0se

Any rtconfig peeps know if this bit is where you can add padding between circular meter and text labels?

Code:
	set tcp.fxparm         						- + + + [main_sec main_sec_last{0}] [tcp_padding] hideValues{0}==1 [0] + [0 values_sec{3}] [0 tcp_padding] \
													+ - - [0 0 main_sec] [0 0 tcp_padding{0}] [0 0 tcp_padding{0}] \
													- - - [0 0 0 main_sec] [0 0 0 main_sec_last{0}] [0 0 0 tcp_padding{1}] hideValues{0}==1 [0] + [0 0 0 values_sec] [0 0 0 tcp_padding{1}] \
													?labelFlip{0} [0 0 element_h{0}] [0]
	set tcp.fxparm.font            				scale{0}==1 [1 24 100 100 -1] scale{0}==1.5 [6 36 150 150 -4] [11 48 200 200 -6]
	set tcp.fxparm.margin          				* scale [3 0 3 0 0 14]
Old 12-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #142
Mordi

@b0se: Ah, the mini-view looks like it could work for me. Nice!

Quote:
BTW, those skeletons on the top of your nearfields are pretty damn awesome haha!
lol, thanks! They were a gift from my GF. Maybe she was trying to tell me something... =P

Edit: btw, b0se - what fonts are you using?

Last edited by Mordi; 12-22-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #143
b0se

Not pin sharp due to HiDPI resize for web, but here's a full screen view of Smooth V6 as it stands right now (this is how I use Reaper btw, TCP view with single MCP panel on the left for plugin access etc):

Full res (4K HiDPI) version here.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #144
b0se

Quote:
@b0se: Ah, the mini-view looks like it could work for me. Nice!

lol, thanks! They were a gift from my GF. Maybe she was trying to tell me something... =P

Edit: btw, b0se - what fonts are you using?
Fira Sans as the main font (adore it) and Crystal something for the transport. In bed now will check tomorrow when back in the studio.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #145
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Any rtconfig peeps know if this bit is where you can add padding between circular meter and text labels?
You should be able to do it with the margin setting:
Code:
using the above example: the first 4 numbers represent Left, Right, Top and Bottom.
The last 2 numbers represent general X/Y positions, IIRC.
I only use 0.5 there to give a general 'centered' position.
change the first 3 (L) to 6 or 8 to indent the text left.
You can also use negative numbers to go the opposite direction.

::
Old 12-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #146
Mordi

Quote:
Fira Sans as the main font (adore it) and Crystal something for the transport. In bed now will check tomorrow when back in the studio.
Oh yeah, that's a good one. I'm remaking your TCP in Affinity Designer as a way to learn. Really digging the look!
Old 12-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #147
TabbyCat

Quote:
Full res (4K HiDPI) version here[/url].
WOW! Fantastic work, exciting times with v6 and HiDPI! Thanks, looking forward to it
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #148
sightlessness

Love MCP faders.

If I drag any image to see it in a different tab, I get this, lol:

"Fraud warning
This site may be hacked or fraudulent. Giving it passwords or personal information could put you at risk for identity theft or financial fraud.

Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page."
Old 12-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #149
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
You should be able to do it with the margin setting:
Code:
using the above example: the first 4 numbers represent Left, Right, Top and Bottom.
The last 2 numbers represent general X/Y positions, IIRC.
I only use 0.5 there to give a general 'centered' position.
change the first 3 (L) to 6 or 8 to indent the text left.
You can also use negative numbers to go the opposite direction.

Thanks Lucas, much better:

Due to my days as a web designer I changed everything BUT the first number, thinking it was TRBL :¬)

At what position do you use 0.5 to center? I'd like to center the content of the envelope lanes.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's a good one. I'm remaking your TCP in Affinity Designer as a way to learn. Really digging the look!
Great app!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
WOW! Fantastic work, exciting times with v6 and HiDPI! Thanks, looking forward to it
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Love MCP faders.

If I drag any image to see it in a different tab, I get this, lol:

"Fraud warning
This site may be hacked or fraudulent. Giving it passwords or personal information could put you at risk for identity theft or financial fraud.

Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page."
I use CloudApp for image hosting, no idea why Opera is freaking out
Old 12-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #150
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se
At what position do you use 0.5 to center?
[0 0 0 0 0 0]
[L T R B CY CX] (It may be CX CY, best to double check that)
L = left
T = top
R = right
CY = centered width
CX = centered height

Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #151
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
[0 0 0 0 0 0]
[L T R B CY CX] (It may be CX CY, best to double check that)
L = left
T = top
R = right
CY = centered width
CX = centered height

Thanks very much. Need to get my head around WALTER.

BTW, I hope you can help as I'm totally stumped - the tcp_bg.png image has no guides (for fixed/repeating sections) and I can't for the life of me get it to not stretch certain bits. I've tried adding pink guides but they are drawn on the UI.

If you look at the above screenshot for example, the top and bottom inner shadows are bigger on the larger grey track than the above 'normal' red one.

Is there a rtconfig flag or setting that enables using them or something?
Old 12-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #152
synkrotron

Hi b0se

Quote:
I've tried adding pink guides but they are drawn on the UI.
That is usually a good sign that the pink lines you are creating are not "to spec."

I found that if I relied upon Affinity Designer to create those pink lines, when I exported the final image as a PNG, the pink lines I had drawn appeared in the REAPER GUI.

What I had to do was design the image in Affinity, without the pink lines, and then open it in Gimp to add those lines using the 255, 0, 255 RGB setting.

Regarding the "stretching" issue with the tcp_bg.png, you have to make sure that the pink lines encompass your edge pixels. Just like the bottom line in the stock png file. When I say "encompass," I mean that you need a pink pixel at the left of the edge of the line you add. Otherwise it will stretch.

I don't feel as though I am explaining that correctly... I may have to post a picture...

cheers

andy
Old 12-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #153
b0se

Quote:
Hi b0se

That is usually a good sign that the pink lines you are creating are not "to spec."

I found that if I relied upon Affinity Designer to create those pink lines, when I exported the final image as a PNG, the pink lines I had drawn appeared in the REAPER GUI.

What I had to do was design the image in Affinity, without the pink lines, and then open it in Gimp to add those lines using the 255, 0, 255 RGB setting.

Regarding the "stretching" issue with the tcp_bg.png, you have to make sure that the pink lines encompass your edge pixels. Just like the bottom line in the stock png file. When I say "encompass," I mean that you need a pink pixel at the left of the edge of the line you add. Otherwise it will stretch.

I don't feel as though I am explaining that correctly... I may have to post a picture...

cheers

andy
Hey Andy,

Thanks - I tried that but to no avail. Could I send you the image to see if you could fix it, or to tell me what I've done wrong? :¬)
Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #154
synkrotron

Quote:
Could I send you the image to see if you could fix it, or to tell me what I've done wrong?
Yes, of course.

I think it should be small enough to add here as an attachment. Unless you would rather e-mail it to me, or dropbox?
Old 12-23-2019, 02:12 AM   #155
b0se

Quote:
Yes, of course.

I think it should be small enough to add here as an attachment. Unless you would rather e-mail it to me, or dropbox?
Incoming PM :¬)
Old 12-23-2019, 02:42 AM   #156
b0se

Quote:
Yes, of course.

Thanks to Any - all fixed!

Here's a slightly more chiseled design of the TCP:

Last edited by b0se; 12-23-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:42 AM   #157
synkrotron

This image show the importance of getting those pink lines right:-

Top part of the picture shows a part of the original background image.

The middle part has been "fixed." But you can hardly see a difference. At least I can't on my setup anyway.

The bottom image I have overwritten just a couple of pink pixels to the left and you can now see the difference.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:48 AM   #158
synkrotron

Tell you what... This graphics game is a bit strange.

In that image I posted above you can only just see a slight darkening of the new pink pixels in the bottom image.

In Gimp the difference is a lot more obvious, but when I take a screen shot a lot of that difference is lost.

I'm on a BENQ gaming monitor so that probably doesn't help...
Old 12-23-2019, 02:54 AM   #159
b0se

Quote:
Tell you what... This graphics game is a bit strange.

In that image I posted above you can only just see a slight darkening of the new pink pixels in the bottom image.

In Gimp the difference is a lot more obvious, but when I take a screen shot a lot of that difference is lost.

I'm on a BENQ gaming monitor so that probably doesn't help...
I can't see any difference, using a 65" Sony TV as a monitor

It doesn't have perfect colour but it's close enough. I usually design on a pro calibrated NEC IPS panel, any slight differences are easily seen.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:11 AM   #160
+NRG

Quote:
Not pin sharp due to HiDPI resize for web, but here's a full screen view of Smooth V6 as it stands right now (this is how I use Reaper btw, TCP view with single MCP panel on the left for plugin access etc):

Full res (4K HiDPI) version here.
Simply astounding! How long have you been working on this?