Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Elvisxxl
Human being with feelings

Default 6 month in with music recording/production...

Hi everyone. .Well.....First off sorry for the big long waffle you're about (hopefully) to read........

I started to try and learn all this recording/production malarkey seriously (sort of!) about 6 months ago but there's almost TOO much info out there now and my mind is frazzled a little bit with the all the conflicting "tutorials" and advice you can find.

Anyways...I started off using Mixcraft then went to Studio One (which I found a little complicated, especially the inputs/outputs) and have been using reaper for about 2 weeks now and kinda like it. Some things are a little...strange at first but getting used to it a little bit now...

So....This is the first time I've posted anything anywhere and I'd welcome ALL opinions on the music and production. I've faffed about with it so much now I'm tired of hearing it haha.....

No lyrics or vocal/melody yet( if ever). I wrote the "music" in about a day and most of it was improvised. I seem to like music a little bit rough around the edges, so to speak. I played all the parts myself except the drums (which is probably obvious). But I did tap them out myself on the old midi keyboard and tried not to quantize to much.

I have my own opinion on where I went wrong but not on how to rectify my mistakes....not yet anyway....

I should add that instruments were direct input into a focusrite 2i4 and that I have probably the worst setup you'd ever come across. All the mixing, recording etc was done in my living room with a wife and 2 young kids running around screaming and fighting and shouting and etc etc etc.....! But that's not gonna change anytime soon so I'm stuck with the living room for now.....

I'd appreciate your thoughts so have a listen.....Cheers!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/user-43592249...ter-final4-001

Last edited by Elvisxxl; 03-04-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Elvisxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
SoundGuyDave

Honestly, for only 6 months in, it's a pretty good effort! Overall, it's a bit light on the low-frequency stuff, so you might want to re-visit the tracks an see what you were hacking away in the 50-125Hz range. There are spots where the hi-hats and cymbals get a bit obnoxiously loud. The tone of the rhythm guitar (left channel biased) is absolutely perfect for the early 60's vibe of the song. The lead guitar (right-channel biased) is good, but could be a touch warmer (low freqs again) and gets harsh in the 2k5 area on occasion.

Everything sounds like it was well-recorded (no audible distortion from "overs" or excessive background hiss), and while the mix doesn't really move much, it is certainly functional and "in the basket" for a static mix.

Again, for an "early" effort, well done! Feel free to ping me via PM if you have specific questions!
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
Elvisxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave View Post
Honestly, for only 6 months in, it's a pretty good effort! Overall, it's a bit light on the low-frequency stuff, so you might want to re-visit the tracks an see what you were hacking away in the 50-125Hz range. There are spots where the hi-hats and cymbals get a bit obnoxiously loud. The tone of the rhythm guitar (left channel biased) is absolutely perfect for the early 60's vibe of the song. The lead guitar (right-channel biased) is good, but could be a touch warmer (low freqs again) and gets harsh in the 2k5 area on occasion.

Everything sounds like it was well-recorded (no audible distortion from "overs" or excessive background hiss), and while the mix doesn't really move much, it is certainly functional and "in the basket" for a static mix.

Again, for an "early" effort, well done! Feel free to ping me via PM if you have specific questions!
Thanks for the feedback! I know exactly what you mean regarding the frequencies. I have problems with my balance and so have regular hearing tests but the doctors keep telling me I have perfect hearing. It puzzles me because it doesn't feel perfect!! I do tend when listening to music to turn the high frequencies up more than is probably comfortable, even for myself. The first attempt at mixing this sounds ridiculous when I listen back to it. Way way too tinny and harsh....

Oh well....practice makes perfect so they say.....

Thanks again...
Elvisxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
BCF1

For a first shot it sounds really good. I'm listening on phone so i got no business commenting on tones or mix. Nice job keep em coming @!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote