Old 12-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
papapill
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper. givin it the go

I currently am ready to begin tracking for real in reaper. I have been using it in my bands studio. I had to set up my mobile rig from scratch so i have been testing it along the way.
My System(this is an old system i had sitting around)
p4 Extreme 3.2 single core 32bit
MB: Abit AS8
PSU: aspire 650
MEM: 2 - gigs Cosair xms
VID: Geforce 6600
HD: 3 - 80gb WD ATA 133-drives
4U rack case
2 Echo Layla 24's in purewave mode
recording 16 channels of quality pre's and mic's without blinking. I can scroll zoom as fast as i my finger will go while recording all 16 tracks in 24bit 48000hz. It took some getting used too but I have the hang of the interface and routing now. It sounds cleaner and clearer than sonar ever has too me. I do not mix on that computer so ill post later about my experience doing that on my main machine.
Main machine:
AMD 4400X2
MB: Abit AN8 32x
PSU: XG Magnum 500
MEM: 2 - gigs ocz pc4000 vx
VID: Geforce 7900 GT CO
HD: 1 - 74gb WD Raptor & 1 - 100gb Maxtor ATA-150
Coolermaster Ammo case
MOTU 828mkII USB

I have to say this. I had used the Layla 20 bit back in the day day and liked it. I had not even considered the newer echo line when thinking about upgrading lately. I've been using my drummers 2 layla 24's for a month in purewave mode for a month now and I am really impressed with these cards. I have my own mic pres so these work well for me. If you are looking for some quality conversion the Layla 24 is cheap now because they switched to the audiofile. They are an old company in this biz and they do make a solid DAW.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
papapill

HI all,
I have done 3 or 4 sessions now with reaper in my band. I sing and play guitar and have to deal with all the recording issues as well so I can get burned out fast! I really need to figure out a way to organize things and save them better. I keep screwing that up cause I feel rushed by the band. When you Produce other peoples stuff the musicians are more patient. hehe
So how can I be fast at this scenario?.........

I am going to do a new song, I have a template made for my 20 inputs into reaper. I have 2 different stereo output mixes and 1 mono for a click. 1/2 go to my PA, 3/4 and 5(click) goto my drummers mixer.
(We have awesome portable walls etc around all the amps, and a plexi octagon around the drums. We may do some songs totally live for a feel thing and because with the walls its amazing how controlled the bleeding is.)
ITS NICE! My whole rig is portable, WALLS AND ALL!
BACK TO MY QUESTION/scenario,

I open my template> create my song folder and save (songname).rpp in my song folder. Then I set my bpm/time etc, hit save and start to record.

Simple enough.

NOW we fuck up. YEA WE FUCK UP!
BUT!
I wanna save the take. I save the file> hit undo recording> saveas (newfile2).rpp in the same song folder.

NOw I continue to my next take.

This all sounds simple but when I am playing guitar and singing I seem to loose my ability to operate the computer. I am not sure, but when I bring the files home to listen and edit it seems like some takes are not loading all the right files or some do not load any .wav files?? Is this because I leave the 2 songfile.rpp's in the same directory and they load wrong?

~~~I have to pay closer attention to my song names this next session so I can be positive I am not just forgetting to save after I record or something.

It all just kinda gets nuts by the end. I fuck up and accidentally save the song I just recorded as my template file and have to fix it. Stupid little mistakes like that set me back and lag us down a bit.
If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear em. I am getting to the point now where I have song files and directories created for every song so its getting easier but I still need a faster way to undo record and record etc etc.

Should I get a Tranzport? Maybe ill just get used to the steps and it will get easier but I thought I would as and see how others organize their tracking.
well this is turned out long!

Thanks again!
HAPPY HOLIDAZE!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Rah

- your template; go to its directory, select the file, right-click mouse, options;
activate the 'read only' box [as one would do with any ordinary file]

REAPER will launch an error window/ project not saved

- if any recordings are scheduled, do prepare everything f.i. at home/ any other place, without distraction from 'others'...

make some nice dir listings

X:\AUDIO\rehearsal_2006-12-17_TEST\#001 - 'title'
X:\AUDIO\rehearsal_2006-12-17_TEST\#002 - 'title'
X:\AUDIO\rehearsal_2006-12-17_TEST\#003 - 'title'
etc.

- next to the screen; keep a piece of paper with reminders etc.; tape this to the table!
f.i. before recording, !!CHECK project settings!!,
enter the save path for your recordings...

- address some hotkeys
[just 'r' to start recording, also place a marker in the template...
-> open template, push '1', your cursor will jump to marker '1', hit 'r' and play away...]

- ... etc.

hope this will be of any help,

i recognize your situation [playing and being in charge of the recordings...]
i tend no to combine them anymore...

cheers

Last edited by Rah; 12-17-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

not sure if this was mentioned, but make sure you save your project into a new subdirectory and move all the files into it.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
manning1

heres my dir set up.eg..
rprsongs>>>
song1 (one rpp and all files.)
song2 (ditto)

etc etc
songnn
rprtemplates>>>
template1
template2
etc etc
templatenn

when i start new song...procedure...
1..i set up a new folder within rprsongs
2..load in blank template.
3..set bpm....plus i point rpr project settings at new folder within rprsongs and save as my song name within the new folder.
so lets say the song is called "get the reaper drunk"...lol.
my new foldder in rprsongs would be named drunkrprv01.
(ie..version one.)
and the rpp within drunkrpr folder would be called for example..
drrprv01. i DO NOT save more than ONE rpp into a song folder.
if i do a version 2 of drunk rpr ...eg..lets say i have a slow pc...so i mix down bed tracks for a stereo mix.
thus new folder in rprsongs called drunkrprv02.
drag the mix into it.
(there are other ways of course.)
then open up a new rpr project....set bpm again.
insert the media file ..ie.the bed tracks mix.
save now into drunkrprv02 as an rpp called for example...
drrrprv02. and proceed overdubbing/adding new tracks.

every half hour....for back up purposes or when making a cuppa tea...the whole song project folder i'm working on....gets copied to another drive and placed within a folder called rprsongsbackup.
just in case.
anyway these are just a few of my housekeeping procedures as examples. IN PARTICULAR..before i start a new song i MAKE SURE...
FILE>>>PROJECT SETTINGS>>>>PATH TO SAVE FILES is properly completed. before starting any recording.
hope this all makes some sense...lol.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
papapill

THANKS GUYS!
sounds like I need to quit havin a few beews and smokin during these sessions or I will never be able to concentrate. DAMN! I swear gettin old sux! 2 beers and im lookin at the screen like I have never seen windows before! GOOD THING I DONT GET PAID TO DO THIS FOR MY BAND. LOL
well,
I learned some good tips, I cant believe I didnt think about read-only option for my template. Thats one of those simple things that slips by.
peace o u t