Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Rusty Strings
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with Mac OS Catalina

Hi
I've been running Reaper for a few years with a mid 2009 MacBook pro running 10.13 and an M-Audio M-Track plus MKII with no problems. I've just taken delivery of a refurbished 2015 MacBook pro which came loaded with 10.15 Catalina and all initially appeared ok until trying to record and I can't seem to get any audio into Reaper. The audio device is recognised in preferences and playback is fine. The M-Audio M track is USB compliant and the new Mac has it listed in the USB devices. I have tried the other apps that can record audio and they appear to work fine. I've read the other Catalina related threads which suggest compatibility issues other than my experience.

Any thoughts?
Rusty Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
serr

If you are already familiar with 10.13 then you know about the newer gatekeeper features. Like needing permission to use connected audio devices. If we rule that stuff out, it could certainly be a driver compatibility issue with 10.15. We hear plenty of those tales these days.

I'd blast my 10.13.6 image on that machine and move on. Save vetting 10.15 for another day. The newer Macs will blacklist older OSX installs beyond a certain point but a 2015 machine will be compatible with 10.13.6.

FYI
Since 10.12, OSX installers customize the install somewhat between different model machines. Straight cloning your 2009 machine image to the 2015 might run into an issue. I'd do a clean install of 10.13.6 and then migrate from the 2009 install.

If that's not helpful...

Maybe try some of the alternate methods of connecting to the interface. Choosing the 'default system device' instead of the interface itself. Controlling the sample rate from Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page or not. (Tick the box to control from Reaper. Untick to let another app or control panel take over.)

Last edited by serr; 04-30-2020 at 11:31 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
... which came loaded with 10.15 Catalina and all initially appeared ok until trying to record and I can't seem to get any audio into Reaper.
In most cases this is related to the macOS mic privacy settings (which is blocking applications from accessing general audio input): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209175
Old 05-01-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
Rusty Strings

Wahoo! Privacy settings, that sorted it
Thanks very much guys

John
Rusty Strings is offline   Reply With Quote