Old 07-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
OldNick
Human being with feelings

Default Cross fades not working

I hope I am getting this right. It seems pretty intuitive.

I place a video clip into the project, then another one on the same track. I then slide the last one across into the first one. This produces the conventional cross fade indication across the overlap (auto crossfade is enabled). I set it up to 10 seconds fade, to see if I was maybe getting it too short. But this happens whatever length I ask for.

However, when I render that portion of the video, and a bit of both clips around it (about 5 seconds either side), when I play back the video the transition is instant, I think occurring where the last video actually starts.

Any help appreciated. One day I will know something and may be able to help somebody else.

Nick
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
JamesPeters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPULwlLjQOU

He also made some more videos recently about video transitions in Reaper. You'll want to watch those too.

I recommend you subscribe to his channel, search through for things you are curious about, and generally watch all the videos when you have time.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
OldNick

Thanks for the rapid reply. Good forum so far.

I have not watched that video you suggest, but I have started in on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hETaycChzE. The first minutes are spent explaining the basics, which made sense, as the methods are similar what I have been used to. I did not go too far, as it goes way further down the path of what you can do to twaek something I am not even achieving.

Anyhoo I will check out your suggestion

As I said I had Autocrossfade On (well...I had not turned it off from default) adn when I trimmed (learnt that term) one clip...no I must learn Item... into the other the crossfade shows quite clearly. But it behaves as if Autocrossfade was Off, by firing up the overlapping clip as soon as it starts. From what I saw I am doing the right thing.

Nick
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
domzy

load the video processor plugin onto your video track and chose the preset "item fades affect video"
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
load the video processor plugin onto your video track and chose the preset "item fades affect video"
Yeah I just watched the suggested video. Now it starts to get more complex.

I spent a lot of time to find item fades affect video: I saw it was alpha ordered but missed it because of "basic Helper" :0

But it works now.