+ ASIO: support device names up to 256 characters long [t=183951]
+ Video: improve render frame timing [t=183901]
# ReaScript: allow searching plug-in-added API functions in watch window

Yiss!!!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 AM   #2
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Minor issue in Lua if reaper functions aren't separated from concatenation (..) dots by a space, watch window returns "Use this on a valid symbol name".

This doesn't seem to happen with any other adjacent symbols, "(", "+", "," etc...

>
Old 11-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Thanks for the video fix devs!

I'll give it a try on Monday!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Minor issue in Lua if reaper functions aren't separated from concatenation (..) dots by a space, watch window returns "Use this on a valid symbol name".

This doesn't seem to happen with any other adjacent symbols, "(", "+", "," etc...
Ahh the subtleties, thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
+ Video: improve render frame timing [t=183901]
Is this designed to fix the frame rate issues I've noticed during some renders? What I have noticed occurring is that rendered video will play smoothly most of the time but will have some random sections with choppy frame rates (looks like dropped frames).
This is perhaps my biggest issue with REAPER video editing at present.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Is this designed to fix the frame rate issues I've noticed during some renders? What I have noticed occurring is that rendered video will play smoothly most of the time but will have some random sections with choppy frame rates (looks like dropped frames).
This is perhaps my biggest issue with REAPER video editing at present.
Yes. This was noticed in detail by someone a couple days ago, with a relatively simple but clever test he made.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183901

He made images of numbers 0 through 99 and set them on each frame (snapped) then rendered (to the same framerate of the project). Some of the numbers were skipped or "half skipped" while following numbers were displayed longer to make up for the missing bits. It had to be tested in slow motion to really catch what was going on. I tested it as well using pretty much every encoder in Reaper at most framerates, just to be sure it wasn't a particular encoder or setting.

After it was fixed I tested again using a few of the encoders at various framerates. I didn't want to go through it all again since I had to keep adjusting the project's framerate and moving all the images to snap to the frames. If you were to have the images misaligned on the frames it could so something similar despite the fix, so the idea is to ensure your framerate for the project is set in advance and then place the images/videos precisely where you need them. (Or if you change framerate for your project, be sure things align precisely where they need to.) So if you plan to render at 30 fps, might as well set the project to 30 fps and work from there. That'll save some headaches.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
voidWentFlash

Quote:
v5.29pre7 - November 18 2016
+ ASIO: support device names up to 256 characters long [t=183951]
I can confirm that fix, at least for me. The new UAD Apollo ASIO drivers (v9.0) are more than 32 characters long and thus were not being recognized by Reaper. I made note of this in a separate thread, and schwa mentioned there that today's pre-release build has the fix. Apollo v9.0 ASIO drivers recognized and working great - Thank you!

Last edited by voidWentFlash; 11-19-2016 at 09:15 PM.
voidWentFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I can't recall this is normal behaviour:

- Region start doesn't snap to the dragged handle, instead, Region end does.
- A Tempo marker is created at the point where i moved the Region handle .. (???)

Reaper 5.29pre7
OSX 10.12.1
Please check that the behavior is the same as 5.28 (it most likely is), and if so post this in the BR forum.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Yes. This was noticed in detail by someone a couple days ago, with a relatively simple but clever test he made.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183901

He made images of numbers 0 through 99 and set them on each frame (snapped) then rendered (to the same framerate of the project). Some of the numbers were skipped or "half skipped" while following numbers were displayed longer to make up for the missing bits. It had to be tested in slow motion to really catch what was going on. I tested it as well using pretty much every encoder in Reaper at most framerates, just to be sure it wasn't a particular encoder or setting.

After it was fixed I tested again using a few of the encoders at various framerates. I didn't want to go through it all again since I had to keep adjusting the project's framerate and moving all the images to snap to the frames. If you were to have the images misaligned on the frames it could so something similar despite the fix, so the idea is to ensure your framerate for the project is set in advance and then place the images/videos precisely where you need them. (Or if you change framerate for your project, be sure things align precisely where they need to.) So if you plan to render at 30 fps, might as well set the project to 30 fps and work from there. That'll save some headaches.
This is really good to hear! Going to test this shortly.