Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #41
Raina
Human being with feelings

Default XL very slow super lag

i just got the XL controller
i created 8 Folder Tracks gave them a name
then i created a cycle Action to control Folder volume tracks and 2 sends each folder

I put my wav tracks inside the the folder (no virtual instruments )

when i move the fader i have 2 seconds lag so impossible to have realtime mixing
the project uses 13% CPU and 1234 MB RAM so not so big

i tried to load the same project in ableton creating 8 group tracks and works as it should !! NO LAGS

here my cycle Action export file

[Main_Cyclactions]
Action1="Costum BASS VOLUME|CONSOLE SBASS_|4|"
Action10="Costum DRUM SEND 2|CONSOLE SDRUM_|902|"
Action11="Costum BASS SEND 1|CONSOLE SBASS_|901|"
Action12="Costum BASS SEND 2|CONSOLE SBASS_|902|"
Action13="Costum PONCHLINE SEND 1|CONSOLE SPONCHLINE_|901|"
Action14="Costum PONCHLINE SEND 2|CONSOLE SPONCHLINE_|902|"
Action15="Costum LEVARE SEND 1|CONSOLE SLEVARE_|901|"
Action16="Costum LEVARE SEND 2|CONSOLE SLEVARE_|902|"
Action17="Costum GUITAR SEND 1|CONSOLE SGUITAR_|901|"
Action18="Costum GUITAR SEND 2|CONSOLE SGUITAR_|902|"
Action19="Costum BRASS SEND 1|CONSOLE SBRASS_|901|"
Action2="Costum DRUM VOLUME|CONSOLE SDRUM_|4|"
Action20="Costum BRASS SEND 2|CONSOLE SBRASS_|902|"
Action21="Costum PERCUSSION SEND 1|CONSOLE SPERCUSSION_|901|"
Action22="Costum PERCUSSION SEND 2|CONSOLE SPERCUSSION_|902|"
Action23="Costum VOX SEND 1|CONSOLE SVOX_|901|"
Action24="Costum VOX SEND 2|CONSOLE SVOX_|902|"
Action3="Costum PONCHLINE VOLUME|CONSOLE SPONCHLINE_|4|"
Action4="Costum LEVARE VOLUME|CONSOLE SLEVARE_|4|"
Action5="Costum GUITAR VOLUME|CONSOLE SGUITAR_|4|"
Action6="Costum BRASS VOLUME |CONSOLE SBRASS_|4|"
Action7="Costum PERCUSSION VOLUME |CONSOLE SPERCUSSION_|4|"
Action8="Costum VOX VOLUME |CONSOLE SVOX_|4|"
Action9="Costum DRUM SEND 1|CONSOLE SDRUM_|901|"
Raina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #42
Edu Camargo

Bringing the Launch Control XL thread to focus again. Just got this new beast and I'm really excited to program it to work with REAPER.

I still can't figure out how to eliminate the issue of the controller skipping tracks. I'm trying to use the XL editor but I'm getting nowhere; can you guys give me a step-by-step instructions on how to operate the editor? It seems that the latest version of the editor is 1.1, and whenever I launch it it displays a message that "it looks like I'm using Windows 8"... In fact my system is Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Edu Camargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #43
rluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu Camargo View Post
Bringing the Launch Control XL thread to focus again. Just got this new beast and I'm really excited to program it to work with REAPER.

I still can't figure out how to eliminate the issue of the controller skipping tracks. I'm trying to use the XL editor but I'm getting nowhere; can you guys give me a step-by-step instructions on how to operate the editor? It seems that the latest version of the editor is 1.1, and whenever I launch it it displays a message that "it looks like I'm using Windows 8"... In fact my system is Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.

Have you tried this:

Go to Actions/Show actions list...

Search for:
Track: Go to next track
Track: Go to previous track

Ron L
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #44
Edu Camargo

Yes, I have tried it, but when I press the left / right track buttons it skips the tracks. And I've read somewhere on this thread that something needs to be configured in the editor to work as expected...

Or maybe I'm missing something pretty simple?

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #45
rluka

Quote:
Yes, I have tried it, but when I press the left / right track buttons it skips the tracks. And I've read somewhere on this thread that something needs to be configured in the editor to work as expected...

Or maybe I'm missing something pretty simple?

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
It has been awhile since I set mine up and I had the same issue that was resolved in the MIDI CC: section

FOR Track: Go to next track I have MIDI Chan 9cc 107
FOR Track: Go to previous track I have MIDI Chan 9cc 106

I think you have to go to the MIDI CC: section and try different configs (not sure which one worked for me)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #46
Edu Camargo

If the MIDI CC you're referring to relates to the REAPER side, it is not working here. I've tried Absolute, with and without soft takeover, and all the relatives... Same result.

All the other mappings work as expected.

Still waiting.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
rluka

This works for me on Win 10/64bit...

Have you tried this?

Go to next track

Last edited by rluka; 07-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #48
Edu Camargo

Oh, I see.

Using Windows 10 64 as well. Mine is pro.

I'm blind and I did a text recognition of your screenshot; I've noticed that you're using relative 1. Interesting. Have you configured something on the Launch control XL editor as well?

Got a project open here in front of me now, gonna try this out, again.

Thanks again.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #49
rluka

Quote:
Oh, I see.

Using Windows 10 64 as well. Mine is pro.

I'm blind and I did a text recognition of your screenshot; I've noticed that you're using relative 1. Interesting. Have you configured something on the Launch control XL editor as well?

Got a project open here in front of me now, gonna try this out, again.

Thanks again.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Hope this works for you...This works on my dual boot laptop running Win 10/64bit and Win 7 Pro/64bit. Im not a technician so I dont understand the technical workings of REAPER.

Ron L
Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #50
Edu Camargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluka View Post
Hope this works for you...This works on my dual boot laptop running Win 10/64bit and Win 7 Pro/64bit. Im not a technician so I dont understand the technical workings of REAPER.

Ron L
Well, still no luck. Maybe I still need to use the Launch Control XL editor to check what's going on, but the Launch Control XL editor is still a mistery to me... Waiting for an expert on this editor to help me on what I might be missing. I can check the interface, but I see no way to configure things here. And all I can see is pot 1, midi CC, midi channel, minimum and maximum, the press mode, led configuration, but can't do anything.

Anyone to explain how tooperate the Launch Control XL Editor?

Thanks,

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:14 AM   #51
CDS

Quote:
Well, still no luck. Maybe I still need to use the Launch Control XL editor to check what's going on, but the Launch Control XL editor is still a mistery to me... Waiting for an expert on this editor to help me on what I might be missing. I can check the interface, but I see no way to configure things here. And all I can see is pot 1, midi CC, midi channel, minimum and maximum, the press mode, led configuration, but can't do anything.

Anyone to explain how tooperate the Launch Control XL Editor?

Thanks,

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
You need to be using the user bank and not the factory bank, the xl editor does not work on the factory bank.

I"m going to assume you are using the correct version of the editor, there are two versions 1.00 and 1.01. Each version are for an specific version of the firmware of Launch Control XL.
If you have not installed the firmware upgrade then you need version 1.00, if you have then install version 1.01.
When you start the editor start the editor as an administrator.
To see the current settings click on load device, it will prompt you for which user template, then click ok.

Last edited by CDS; 07-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #52
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido View Post
Can I connect Launch Control XL to my iPad?
And if so, how do I connect it?
Launch Control XL can be connected to an Apple iPad. An Apple Camera Connection Kit is required (not included). Launch Control XL will power from the iPad.

Last edited by CDS; 07-20-2018 at 03:38 PM.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #53
Edu Camargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
I"m going to assume you are using the correct version of the editor, there are two versions 1.00 and 1.01. Each version are for an specific version of the firmware of Launch Control XL.
If you have not installed the firmware upgrade then you need version 1.00, if you have then install version 1.01.
When you start the editor start the editor as an administrator.
To see the current settings click on load device, it will prompt you for which user template, then click ok.
Thanks CDS for the tutorial.
Currently I'm using version 39 of the firmware and the LCXL software editor is 1.1. Glad to know that this app should be executed as an administrator, no googling point to such info... Until now.

Gonna try things out and soon I get back with results.

For now, lots of thanks.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #54
smithclarkson01

its sort of hard to know which tracks you are controlling, but this isn't problematic since i limit the live set i use it for to 8 tracks. otherwise very very good controller. also check online, i bought mine for $170 so it sounds like you might be getting ripped off VidMateVidMate Apphttps://myfiosgateway.win/

Last edited by smithclarkson01; 12-25-2023 at 06:27 PM.
smithclarkson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #55
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithclarkson01 View Post
its sort of hard to know which tracks you are controlling, but this isn't problematic since i limit the live set i use it for to 8 tracks. otherwise very very good controller. also check online, i bought mine for $170 so it sounds like you might be getting ripped off
You could set the LED lights on the rotary controls to indicate which bank of 8 is active.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #56
TheBroJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukovics View Post
I went ahead and mapped the LCxl to Reaper. The process wasn't all that difficult, just a bit tedious.

For what it's worth, I've attached my keymap. I started with Reaper factory settings and added only the mappings needed for the LCxl. Perhaps this will help someone else as a starting point.

Here's a brief explanation of how I mapped the controls:

It uses LCxl Factory templates 1 to 4. The chosen template determines the range of tracks controlled.

Template 1 = Tracks 1 to 8
Template 2 = Tracks 9 to 16
Template 3 = Tracks 17 to 24
Template 4 = Tracks 25 to 32

LCxl controls in columns 1 to 8 correspond to the selected factory template (1 to 8, 9 to 16, etc)

- Sliders control track volume for the individual tracks
- Pan/Device knobs control pan for the individual tracks
- Track Focus buttons select the individual tracks
- Track Control toggles Solo for the individual tracks
- Send A knobs unmapped
- SEnd B knobs unmapped

Global controls - mapped the same way for each factory template (1 to 4)

- Track Select buttons select the next or previous track
- Mute button toggles mute for the selected track
- Solo button toggles solo for the selected track
- Record Arm button toggles record for the selected track
- Send A knob for track 8 sets volume for the selected track
- Send B knob for track 8 sets pan for the selected track

By the way, since the CC and note mapping are the same for all of the factory templates (only the MIDI channel changes), an easy way to copy/paste settings in the exported keymap file would have been nice. But I just couldn't figure out the format of the lines in the file. I couldn't see anything that resembled the MIDI channel.

Enjoy!
Thank you very much for your template and those infos, It works really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bliss View Post
i just got the XL controller, im trying to set up the right volume threshold for live jamming/recording.

anybody knows how to set it so when my controller fader is 100% up, my volume in reaper stays on 0db instead of the max volume?
or even better, the exact volume setting i have set on that particular track?

you can set max vol under Preferences, Appearance, VU Meters/Faders but i'm using different volume levels on each channel, sometimes over 0db, so if i would set a max volume at 0db in Preferences i would lose some volume on certain tracks.

my plan is to jam live with the controller and record my sessions.

many mucho thanks in advance
You have to go to Preferences -> Track Control Panels -> Volume/pan faders and set the volume grange from -72 to +0db

Have a nice day!
TheBroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #57
nait

I haven't set up the volume sliders or knobs just yet, as I intend to just use MIDI learn for those as I need them... but I'll add that in addition to the track select/mute/etc that bukovics is using (I did the same), I've added a couple.

Device button maps to the action: "SWS/S&M: Toggle show FX chain windows for selected tracks"
Send up/down buttosn map to the actions: "SWS/S&M: Select previous FX (cycling) for select tracks"

This lets me bring up the FX window for a track and cycle through viewing different fx quickly.

This controller is quite cool. In the last week I got this and a Launchpad X, and they've really increased my workflow quite a bit!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:10 PM   #58
PianoGeek

Hey guys! I have been using the LaunchControl XL with Reaper for a long time now, and I think I have figured out how to fix the track skipping issue that Edu Camargo was describing. When you MIDI learn the button to the track select action, instead of selecting ‘Absolute’, select ‘Relative 3’. So now when you press the button, Reaper listens to the message generated when you press down, but ignores the release. Hope that fixes your problem!

p.s - I also figured out how to make the pads light up
PianoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #59
PianoGeek

To make the pads light up, I use a blank track for this purpose. Here’s a step-by-step way to do it:

1. Create an empty track
2. Set the track’s MIDI Input to the Launchcontrol XL, all channels
3. In Reaper preferences, enable the Launchcontrol as a MIDI Output. You don’t have to worry about sending MIDI Clock, or High-precision.
4. Set your track’s MIDI Output (available under track routing) to the Launchcontrol.
5. Now press a button. It should light up Yellow, and then turn Off. How it works is, when you press a button (let’s say that the button is sending MIDI Chan 1 CC 72), the Launchcontrol is listening for that same message to be sent BACK to the controller, and when it receives that message, it makes whatever pads with that mapping light up. When you create the track, you’re essentially sending that message back to the controller.

Making the pads light up different colors is not quite as easy. In the LaunchControl editor, when you click on a button, you’ll see a lot of different controls, but the ones you’re looking for are On Value, and Off Value. Normally On is set to 127, and off is 0. But you’ll need to change those values to get different colors. I said earlier that the controller listens for a message back, the value dictates the color. Here’s a dialog of what values make different colors:

12 - Off
13 - Red (Low brightness)
15 - Red (Full)
29 - Amber (Low brightness)
63 - Amber (Full)
19 - Orange (Full)
62 - Yellow (Full)
28 - Green (Low brightness)
60 - Green (Full)

Unfortunately there is no Blue, and therefore no White either. So to make the button be green when on and red when off, it should be configured per-button in the editor this way:
On Value: 60
Off Value: 15

Sorry for the VERY long message, but hope it helps!
PianoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #60
Duncanodi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoGeek View Post
Sorry for the VERY long message, but hope it helps!
Thank you for this! I was really struggling to find that info but I've got themlighting up yellow.

Haven't managed to get them red yet. I changed the max and min settings from 0-127 to the numbers you posted for off and red but it throws everything off. Any tips?
Duncanodi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #61
foxAsteria

It is handy. Works a treat with ReaLearn and you can even get some minimal feedback on the leds. Highly recommend ReaLearn for mapping. Highly flexible.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:59 AM   #62
Fleeesch

I sold most of my MIDI controllers after going the control surface route, but kept the Novation Launch Control. It's kind of a bread'n'butter controller that gets the job done, excellent for live FX, dub music, etc. Solid build, seems to be almost indestructible.

The faders and knobs are kinda stiff, that might be difficult for people who need quick movements. At least the rubberized surface underneath the controller does a good job at preventing sliding.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote