Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #41
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
Sure. Alt+up/down,for just one example. Find the one you want, hit enter, away you go.

Oh scrolling, ok...sounded like you wanted hundreds of actions for a minute there...
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #42
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Oh scrolling, ok...sounded like you wanted hundreds of actions for a minute there...
Hehe, it's hard enough remembering the actions i already have. keystroke scrolling is easy and quick.

Or i'd have to crank the OTHER brain cell into life and i save that one for breathing, making coffee, eating pizza, etc..

Alex.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #43
Art Evans
Mortal

Cool - but damn, it may be 24 hrs before I can try this!

Not entirely following some of the above discussion, but would the concept of snapshots being recalled by markers address any of what people want? So we'd have (in the snapshots window) Name Date Time (as now) plus "Marker" - which actually might follow name - and you'd type "%1" in there, and when the project playback or render got to a marker called "%1", the snapshot would be recalled?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #44
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Cool - but damn, it may be 24 hrs before I can try this!

Not entirely following some of the above discussion, but would the concept of snapshots being recalled by markers address any of what people want? So we'd have (in the snapshots window) Name Date Time (as now) plus "Marker" - which actually might follow name - and you'd type "%1" in there, and when the project playback or render got to a marker called "%1", the snapshot would be recalled?

Aaah, so it's true then Art.
You ARE a genius.

Great idea.

A big +1 for this.

Alex.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #45
Bevosss

Quote:
would the concept of snapshots being recalled by markers address any of what people want? So we'd have (in the snapshots window) Name Date Time (as now) plus "Marker" - which actually might follow name - and you'd type "%1" in there, and when the project playback or render got to a marker called "%1", the snapshot would be recalled?
Sounds like it'd address what you want...

Cool idea Art, it'd be like (simple) alternative automation.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #46
technogremlin

There is one little addition I like to see to this: a setting in mSecs to 'fade' between the snapshots. I didn't test it yet, but fast moves between settings are going to shake the motorised faders of my US-2400, especially when a fader goes to zero.

Just an idea
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #47
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
There is one little addition I like to see to this: a setting in mSecs to 'fade' between the snapshots. I didn't test it yet, but fast moves between settings are going to shake the motorised faders of my US-2400, especially when a fader goes to zero.
It's on the to-do list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Coming:
- Fades of numeric params
- Next/prev (for Art )
- ???
Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #48
technogremlin

Quote:
It's on the to-do list:
Ah, I missed that. Wonderfull
Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #49
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
There is one little addition I like to see to this: a setting in mSecs to 'fade' between the snapshots.
Not just a matter of upsetting your faders, it's also the listeners ears - in the scenario that I was thinking of using snapshots, switching from music to announcements in a live broadcast, a sudden cutoff of performance studio ambiance to presenter studio ambiance and back would sound unprofessional. But I can imagine that implementing this in Reaper might not be straightforward.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #50
Nardberr

Thanks to Xenakios and sws for the work done,really,really great stuff happening with snapshots!

sws,is it possible to update a snapshot,say after slight tweaking of a mix could one Alt cntrl re-click on the same snapshot to update?
Nardberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #51
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardberr View Post

sws,is it possible to update a snapshot,say after slight tweaking of a mix could one Alt cntrl re-click on the same snapshot to update?
Just Ctrl-click the same snapshot to store the new settings.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #52
Nardberr

Quote:
Just Ctrl-click the same snapshot to store the new settings.
Thanks,will try that.
Nardberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #53
Art Evans
Mortal

Well, I have to say this is gobsmacking.

So many uses for this.... eg when editing from a classical session, and you've got your original material on a few tracks, and you are compiling the required material onto a second set of tracks, you can use the snapshots to do all the stuff related to first working on one set of tracks (the rest being muted) and then swapping over to the second set, reversing the mute state - and perhaps having snapshots with certain tracks brought out when you are cutting on a certain instrument... the list goes on...

I've been trying recalling snapshots while writing effects automation, and yup, you can write automation that way. Only the Reaper automated faders etc don't work, as the snapshotting is addressing the trim faders, not the automated ones. Dunno whether that can be added - otherwise, one could use something like Sonalksis FreeG (nice VST fader and balance and stuff) instead. The sky is the limit! Why do that? Well, I find that with live concert recordings, I want certain states of mix at some points, and another state at another, and then tend to switch between the two (or three) states. Doing it with snapshots writing the automation might assist in recreating the states as required with a single click.

Quote:
- Next/prev (for Art )
You might recall that what I had in mind was not only simple next/previous, but the ability to recall a list of snapshots that might not be in the original order and might include repeats eg 1,2,1,3,1,4 (presenter, act 1, presenter, act 2, etc).

I can think of two ways this could be done - if it were possible to drag the order of snapshots around in the list, one could move the presenter to the top, then act 1, then to get a repeat of the presenter you'd duplicate that snapshot (can be done already manually, could be done by a "duplicate" command more easily without having to rename), then you'd drag act 2 to follow, etc etc etc. The point being that you can't always create the snapshots in the right order, as the requirement sometimes emerges haphazardly.

Or, you'd have a text window for entering in the list of numbers (1,2,1,3,1,4) comma separated, and the next/previous buttons would go through that list.

If this is too big an ask, don't hesitate to say so, but I think it could be useful to others as well as me.

Did I already comment in this thread that using snapshots you could use an ordinary firewire mixer or multichannel interface, add a modest laptop with Reaper and snapshots, and you've got a fully automated mixer with FX?

Last edited by Art Evans; 07-06-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #54
Art Evans
Mortal

You know what this new feature should be called?

Total ReaCall.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 AM   #55
Art Evans
Mortal

... and while I think of it - record-enable status would be a great thing to be able to have as part of the snapshot (optionally). Might not be technically possible??
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #56
Art Evans
Mortal

Someone mentioned having track selection as an optional snapshotted item - now that of course would give us fader grouping, no? So you'd have a snapshot which only had the "track selection" box ticked, and call it drums, and then move any highlighted fader to move the drums faders as a group.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #57
Art Evans
Mortal

And another thing - if one could click on the top of the "name" column and have it sort by that in the usual windows manner (or on any column header) then one could give snapshots names like "00 - drums" and "01 - solo piano" and "02 - mute bass" and sort them in that order to enable going through them sequentially. If you want to change the order, just change the name.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #58
Bevosss

Quote:
Someone mentioned having track selection as an optional snapshotted item - now that of course would give us fader grouping, no? So you'd have a snapshot which only had the "track selection" box ticked, and call it drums, and then move any highlighted fader to move the drums faders as a group.
That's a killer idea!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #59
Xenakios

Just as a side note, maybe the thread's title could now be changed, as it's SWS's heroic effort here now... Good work SWS, by the way!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #60
Art Evans
Mortal

I just tried to update it but it just seemed to change the first post title, not the thread title. I called it SWS/Xenakios' snapshot extension as you did the initial work, and that should still be credited!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #61
Art Evans
Mortal

I'm working on yesterday's piano trio concert recording - I wanted one mix for most of the concert but in one work I wanted the levels and pans to be different. So I put the FreeG level/pan vst on each relevant track, and using that created a snapshot of the balance for the bulk of the concert (well, I created a few snapshots for alternatives and swapped quickly between them before settling on the one I wanted - great way of working!). Then I created another snapshot for the balance for the middle item. Then I armed envelopes for the FreeG pan and balance on each relevant track, set mode to "Touch" and played the start, clicking on the snapshot for the first part of the concert - that wrote the automation as required. Pressed stop right away and deleted the last point on each envelope (so that it stayed at the set level to the end of the project). Did a similar operation (play, click on snapshot to recall, stop, delete last envelope points) at the start of the piece with different balance, then the same again going back to the original snapshot for the rest of the concert.

It worked well! A handy way of working (sounds more involved that it actually was). If I were editing something requiring regular flipping all the way through between various snapshots it would be even more efficient - this exercise was more of a "proof of concept" thing.

Icing on the cake would be if there were some way of linking snapshots to markers that would also take effect on render. Might not be feasible I realise.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #62
nofish

Quote:
You know what this new feature should be called?

Total ReaCall.

Oh my god, I'm sure you won't believe me writing this, but haven't followed this thread for some time, I was thinking about a total recall snapshot feature the last days and if I should suggest it here, but then I thought it's maybe too "spaced out".

And here it goes. This is crazy.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #63
Bevosss

Quote:
I just tried to update it but it just seemed to change the first post title, not the thread title. I called it SWS/Xenakios' snapshot extension as you did the initial work, and that should still be credited!
Only moderators can change the actual thread title (give Pipe or Schwa a pm).
Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #64
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Art, stay tuned, I have another separate plug in the works for this
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #65
Bevosss

Quote:
Art, stay tuned, I have another separate plug in the works for this
Cool! You are a champ sws...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #66
Art Evans
Mortal

I now realise that in order to write a snapshot into a project as automation, it's merely necessary to position the cursor at the required location, set automation to "write", and click on the required snapshot. Then set automation back to trim/read or just read. Do not have the transport running during the process as that complicates the issue.

However, if you then want to play around with an alternative balance having done that, with a view to creating a new snapshot, you can't as there's no way I can see to turn off automation (as noted specifically in a new thread).

Last edited by Art Evans; 07-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #67
ed209

nice plug! it's just what i've been longing for! though I ran into some trouble when trying to switch between snapshots of reaeq(and some mixer-settings along with it). at first it just seemed to go unresponsive after switching, so I shut it down and reopened snapshots to try switching again - which worked every time btw - only to call on the same behavior again. what I had missed was a small window that said something like 'overloaded vst's, contact SWS', and I had got a whole bunch of them of course 'cause I was going back'n'forth which made reaper give up in a stuttering frenzy. after that I thought I'd better erase the plug until a new version comes out.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #68
sws
Code Monkey

Hello everyone, there's a new snapshot plugin version available.
reaper_snapshot.dll

Nothing too fancy; some updates similar to the Marker List extension:
- Sort capability, click on column headers
- Docking
- Screenset support
- Better keyboard support (scroll through list with arrows, select with <enter>, delete with <del>.)

Reaper 2.44 is required for this update.

Last edited by sws; 08-05-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: file name
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #69
Art Evans
Mortal

Cool, about to download! Many thanks for ongoing improvements.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #70
technogremlin

Quote:
Hello everyone, there's a new snapshot plugin version available.
reaper_snapshots.dll
I get a 'file not found' when trying to download.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #71
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I get a 'file not found' when trying to download.
Damn, hand typed links gone wrong. Sorry about that! Try again: reaper_snapshot.dll
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #72
moodswinger

Tech-
Right click and "save target as" that should work just did it.
Just clicking on it gave me the same error BTW.
Cheers,
MoodSwinger

EDIT: or maybe it was fixed right before I got to it.
I think I posted same time as SWS.
SWS/Xen- Thanks too.
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.

Last edited by moodswinger; 08-05-2008 at 07:34 AM.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #73
technogremlin

Quote:
Damn, hand typed links gone wrong. Sorry about that! Try again: reaper_snapshot.dll
Yep, fixed . Thanks for your quick response and of course your continued effort. Have been asking for years for snapshots in my 'other' music software, started using Reaper just a few months ago and got my wish already.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #74
sws
Code Monkey

No problem. I'm pretty sure there's a latent bug based on ed209's post above, let me know if you run into it!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #75
Mudchild

Hi

I really dig this groovy plugin, baby, but 2 issues I've come across in using it:

1) when clicking between snapshots, I find that, while the changes ARE actioned correctly, not all VISUAL aspects of the mixer view are updated, until I float the mouse over the mixer... this does not seem to apply to volume changes (they're fine), but DOES apply to muted FX - they do not visually update straight away.

2)I THINK this happened - an instance of ReaEQ on a channel was NOT responding to the changes visually OR audibly. All the other FX on it were switching between states appropriately, but the ReaEQ stayed in one state, which is not how I saved it. But I just tried to reproduce this and it worked OK. So it might be user error I guess - thought I'd mention it though!

Edit: just noticed something similar was mentioned a few posts up...

great plug through
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #76
Mudchild

further to my last post, in ReaEQ it seems it's not updating the 'Enabled' state of each band... but x and y movements of each node are updated fine.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #77
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
1) when clicking between snapshots, I find that, while the changes ARE actioned correctly, not all VISUAL aspects of the mixer view are updated, until I float the mouse over the mixer... this does not seem to apply to volume changes (they're fine), but DOES apply to muted FX - they do not visually update straight away.
This is fixed in the forthcoming Reaper version 2.45.

Quote:
2)I THINK this happened - an instance of ReaEQ on a channel was NOT responding to the changes visually OR audibly. All the other FX on it were switching between states appropriately, but the ReaEQ stayed in one state, which is not how I saved it. But I just tried to reproduce this and it worked OK. So it might be user error I guess - thought I'd mention it though!
Can you post/send a .RfxChain file for that channel? (Right click in the FX list for that channel and select SaveAs)

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #78
Mudchild

Will do tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #79
Mudchild

here ya go, this is the fx chain for that track - but like i mentioned, i think it might just be the 'Enabled' states of the bands that weren't updating...
Attached Files
File Type: rfxchain alex.RfxChain (18.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #80
sws
Code Monkey

OK, it turns out FX snapshots only save *automatable* parameters. These are the ones that show up on the automation dialog. So, for example with ReaEQ, band enable doesn't show up on the list. Currently there's no way to store/recall full FX snapshots (like presets) from the API, but hopefully soon there will be a way.