Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
MV4824
Human being with feelings

Default Starting Questions.

~~~~~~

Last edited by MV4824; 02-20-2011 at 02:27 PM.
MV4824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Xenakios

You're gonna need a way to build Windows binaries and run Reaper in Windows too for testing/debugging your stuff...So you can't probably do it natively in Linux. Maybe by running the Microsoft programming environments (Visual Studio) in a virtual Windows installation...(One such system to do that is called Virtualbox. There's also Vmware.) I doubt Wine in Linux is able to run such complex systems as the Visual Studios are...

You should use C++ to do Reaper extension plugins. That's probably the only language anyone will be able to help you with...

By the way...If you want to rather do simple to moderately complex audio processing plugins, Jesusonic will be much easier. I heartily recommend it. Both Reaper extensions and the Steinberg VST plugins are quite complex to master even to a degree you will get meagre results to run...

Last edited by Xenakios; 11-26-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV4824 View Post
Alright, I'll put the idea of JS plugins out of the window then... these "Jesusonic" plugins, can they be produced on Linux? My recording computer with windows is strictly for recording, but my linux laptop can be used for anything.. so if you know a program that you can make vsts for linux, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for the help,
-Matt.
Windows compatible VST plugins will probably be quite difficult to produce on Linux as well...

The good news is that JesuSonic (JS) plugins can be directly written and run in Reaper itself, without installing anything extra besides Reaper itself. There's even hardly any chance you could mess up anything even if you did JS plugins development on your Windows-based recording/DAW machine.

edit : To make it clear :

1) Reaper Extension plugins are meant to do many things, like control surface support, audio file format import/export support, new actions for various editing tasks (like moving items, replacing the files they use etc). These must be written in C++ and probably require Windows to be developed at all.

2) Steinberg VST plugins are meant for processing audio or generating sounds from MIDI (virtual instruments) in realtime. These must be usually written in C++ and probably require Windows to be developed at all. (If you want them to run in a Windows VST host application such as Reaper.) In Reaper, they have access to Reaper's internals, which may or may not be useful for particular tasks. If you do a VST plugin that accesses these Reaper spesific things, the plugin may not work at all or will have limited functionality in other VST host programs such as Cubase.

3) Cockos JesuSonic (JS) plugins are script based audio processing plugins which can be programmed in Reaper itself. They don't have extensive access to Reaper's internals like the Reaper Extension plugins have. They are compatible between Windows and Macintosh OS-X. Provided you get Reaper running in Wine in Linux, you can also develop them with Linux as your operating system.

Last edited by Xenakios; 11-28-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV4824 View Post
Awe cool man! Yeah, I'm okay with making JesuSonic plugins on my Windows XP non-internet machine. But I have a few questions:

1) Will I need any special programs to make JesuSonic Plugins?
2) Will I be able to share my plugins with the world, or are they
only on my machine?
3) Anything else that's vital that I need to know?

Thanks a lot,
-Matt.
1) Nope - Just a text editor, or use the built-in JS editor in Reaper.
2) Yep - You can upload them to https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/JS-Effects, give them to friends, etc. Just remember these only work in reaper, for now.
3) Yep - See the js programming reference at http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/

BTW, nice AIR logo.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote