Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default RS5K (Reasamplomatic5000)

Hi.

In my live rig (i.e. using a laptop/Reaper to host instruments and samples played live)

I'm using RS5K to play long samples (sound FX, up to 30secs) but need a couple of tweaks.

Here's an example of an RS5K instance set up to play a long sample by hitting key C2...

First issue is that, if I inadvertently press C2 a second time, it fires the sample again, summed (but delayed, of course) with the original sample playback.

Is there anyway to prevent the C2 key, in this case, triggering the sample again whilst the original instance of the sample is still playing?

The second issue is how to STOP the sample playing before it has finished?(without using the 'Obey note-offs' option)

Hope you can help,

CD
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
uncleswede

Bump...?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #3
Eliseat

I see no sense in blocking a key rather than avoiding to press it. If you are afraid hitting the c2 key accidentally maybe it would be better to choose a key out of that range. Maybe the highest key on your keyboard. This should reduce the chance to touch it.

As long as I know there is no sampler or instrument which allows to block a certain key as long as its sound plays. This would make it unplayable. And if you really use 30sec samples it would mean the key could not be triggered for 30 seconds! No, that wouldn't make any sense.

Only thing imaginable is an action which blocks a note for a certain time but self-contained. So you could set the blocking time the same as the time for your sample.

I'm afraid there is no way to help you beside that.

The second issue has only to do with your sustain, release and Obey note-off settings. If you want to hit the note once and let it play till the end, you have to turn off "obey note off". But you then can't stop it easily. Only way I see is to lay a second "silent" sample in the list which only gets triggered by the lower half of the velocity. This way you could start the main sample with a normal hit on the key and "stop" it by hitting the same key very softly by starting the short, silent sample.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Eliseat; 05-20-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post

Only thing imaginable is an action which blocks a note for a certain time but self-contained. So you could set the blocking time the same as the time for your sample.
That would be a simple jsfx to knock up. Maybe such a thing exists already?
Old 05-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
uncleswede

Thanks people :-)

@Eliseat - re: 'stopping' a sample playing - I like the idea of a gentle tap on the same key to trigger a 'silent' sample.

@jrk - hmmm - I'll look into whether a JSFX exists that does that (or one that I can hack). If not, I'll post in the Script Requests forum (my JSFX skills are rudimentary...).

Cheers
CD
Old 05-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Thanks people :-)

@Eliseat - re: 'stopping' a sample playing - I like the idea of a gentle tap on the same key to trigger a 'silent' sample.

@jrk - hmmm - I'll look into whether a JSFX exists that does that (or one that I can hack). If not, I'll post in the Script Requests forum (my JSFX skills are rudimentary...).

Cheers
CD
Just tried the 'silent sample' suggestion and, unfortunately, no joy - it triggers the silent sample with a low-velocity key press but that just sums with, rather than replaces, the initial, non-silent sample :-)

I was hoping to control everything from my keyboard (which is not a MIDI controller, btw) but I think what I'll do is set up an alternative configuration for my studio's nanokontrol 2 controller, connect that to my live laptop too and use that to trigger samples.

Thanks everyone
Old 05-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Eliseat

You have to reduce the voice number to 1 of course. Making it mono synth like.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
uncleswede

Ah ... I understand!
That works :-)

Thanks