Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #521
wuky
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
This is Windows only, right? Crashes on launch on macOS 10.15, latest Python version (3.9.1)

EDIT: Took it for a spin 'round the block using Parallels Desktop and Win10. Worked very well, excellent work! I'll see if I can find out what's blocking it on macOS.
I am using the 'standard' python tkinter functionality so it should run on all platforms which can run python.

However, it looks like python has some Tk issues on macOS (e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-with-respring)

Using an older python version might work (in the post they suggest 3.7.1)
wuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #522
wuky

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
This looks pretty awesome Philip. Did you program the entire thing? What did you use. I'm trying to create something similar to this but for my controller. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, so I have to resort to using Xojo.

Great job, I'm sure those with a C4 will certainly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Yes, written by me, using Python. The source code is included in the zip file.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:58 AM   #523
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuky View Post
Yes, written by me, using Python. The source code is included in the zip file.
Thanks for this contribution to the community !!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 AM   #524
sivert_h

Thank you Funkybot for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1. ToggleMapSelectedTrackSends is gone. It was replaced with:

MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets

So assign Flip to MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets. Then you need a GoZone action to take you back home to unmap them. So maybe try something like this:

3. You're currently using ToggleMapFocusedFX on JogwheelPush. That action is also gone. Use MapFocusedFXToWidgets instead, then GoZone Home to unmap. Just like the Sends.
So there's no way to toggle this? That really not an improvement.

Quote:
2. The display takeover functionality will come back in a different state in the future. For now, pick one. It's on the to-do list.
What do you mean "pick one"?
sivert_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:58 AM   #525
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert_h View Post
So there's no way to toggle this? That really not an improvement.
Yeah, that was a tough decision.

Many folks got hopelessly messed up with combinations of Mapping and Toggling combined with auto mapping via OnTrackSelection so we decided to remove Toggling, but I certainly get your point.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #526
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert_h View Post
What do you mean "pick one"?
Right now you have to pick what you want displayed since it will be fixed until the takeover functionality is implemented. Example: always show volume or always show pan.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #527
MixMonkey

Quote:
I am using the 'standard' python tkinter functionality so it should run on all platforms which can run python.

However, it looks like python has some Tk issues on macOS (e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-with-respring)

I'll give that a try
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #528
MixMonkey

Quote:

No joy, i'm afraid.

Tried a bunch of things- different Python versions (using both the regular installers and via HomeBrew/pyenv), the latest Tcl/tk version (took me ages to get the damn thing recognised over the faulty 8.5.9 version that comes with the OS) I managed to get past Idle crashing, only to get stuck at Idle being unable to connect to a TCP/IP port.

Hopefully, someone with more Python experience than me can make better sense of it for macOS.

It was a breeze to get it working on Windows- install Python, double click your file, done
Old 01-16-2021, 04:23 AM   #529
wuky

Quote:
No joy, i'm afraid.

Tried a bunch of things- different Python versions (using both the regular installers and via HomeBrew/pyenv), the latest Tcl/tk version (took me ages to get the damn thing recognised over the faulty 8.5.9 version that comes with the OS) I managed to get past Idle crashing, only to get stuck at Idle being unable to connect to a TCP/IP port.

Hopefully, someone with more Python experience than me can make better sense of it for macOS.

It was a breeze to get it working on Windows- install Python, double click your file, done
Sorry to hear that,

The whole point of using python with the standard GUI framework was to avoid problems like this

I do not have access to a Mac so I cannot debug this myself.

Did you look at: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/ , maybe this could help?

Philip
Old 01-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #530
MixMonkey

Quote:
Did you look at: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/ , maybe this could help?
Yes, I did read that, it was what put me on the trail of the Tcl/tk versions. MacOS Catalina has Python 2.72 / Tcl/tk 8.5.9 installed by default and just installing a new version doesn’t mean it will actually be used- hence all the messing around with Homebrew, pyenv and editing of .zshrc.

It’s entirely possible that something specific to my system is fouling it up.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #531
hedgehogbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post

As described a few posts ago, I'd like to use the Console 1 to map the most common FX controls "permanently" for the selected track.
that's interesting. is there a place we (by which i mean you, good sir) can share our config files so others can see how you're working? and by others i mean people who are just getting started with csi.

and by people who are just getting started with csi, i mean me.
hedgehogbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #532
hedgehogbrown

also, i'm sure someone smarter than me has already asked this question or tried this idea, but since there is a csi action toggle for writing the raw file, can that action not also be edited to include some kind of midi learn feature that writes to that file as well? or possibly a context menu item?

just a thought.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #533
JoshTobbell

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum, love the CSI project, thank you Geoff for all the effort you have put in to this! after a bit of head scratching trying to understand the code it has allowed me to get my Behringer X-touch set up to work with reaper exactly as I want it!

I was just wandering if anyone could help me with something I've been trying to do?

I had the idea that it might be useful for me to set up the rotary encoder on the channel strip so that if I held record arm, it could be used to change the hardware input for that track. So I thought I should try the code: RecordArm+Rotary| and then the required reaper action, in my Channel Zone in the Xtouch zone file.

The only trouble is I've not been able to find a reaper action to allow me to select the hardware input, I don't know if it is just me being stupid or you just aren't able to do this.

I hope hope that makes sense to someone!
JoshTobbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #534
Funkybot

Josh, I don't know of any Reaper or CSI action that cycles track inputs, but it may be possible via scripting. Example, a quick Google search yielded this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=131846

Now, that alone is probably not going to do exactly what you want, but I think it's evidence that what you're looking for is at least possible if you (or someone) can script it.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #535
andyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogbrown View Post
that's interesting. is there a place we (by which i mean you, good sir) can share our config files so others can see how you're working? and by others i mean people who are just getting started with csi.

Yes and No :-)

Geoff includes the mst files with the download of CSI; that's the "map" of the physical controller itself. One is included for the Console 1 already, which is incomplete. I've completed the mapping of all buttons and knobs, but haven't got around to giving it to Geoff yet ;-)

As far as then mapping FX to the controller, I have done some work on creating those files for some of the plugins I use most often. But they're not very common FX (DMG Equilibrium, Compassion, TrackControl, Limitless) so sharing them in the download probably wouldn't reach many actual users. For that reason, I'm not sure Geoff will include many such files.

I guess if there IS an argument for these being included it would be for the ReaPlugs such as ReaEQ, ReaComp etc that all CSI users will have. But unfortunately, I tried mapping ReaComp to the controller and it doesn't play very nicely (fundamental to the VST, not a problem of CSI apparently). There are huge value jumps in the Threshold etc for tiny controller movements. So I stopped doing that work.

Ultimately, it would be good to have some kind of Repository for both the MST (Physical controller) and Zone files (what parameters in Reaper or VSTs are controlled). Then users can look to see what Zones are available for the controllers they own and download them to use or modify.

For now, I'm holding off doing much more with the Console 1. Having played with it a while in CSI I'm seeing the quirks and drawbacks, and wondering about upgrading to Siniarch's new Custom Controller when it becomes available. If I don't do that (or can't afford it) then I'll go back to developing workflows with the Console 1.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #536
tompad

Hi!

Total newbie on CSI here!

Is it possible to make CSI send action to midieditor in Reaper?

I have tried with Switch01 Reaper "40055" but it dont mute the midi events.
(Have tried to put Switch01 in TransportControls and SelectedTrack)

Other Reaper actions for Main window works so there is no problem
with my surface not sending.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #537
UNdark

Default video of CSI install and program (OS X)

Hello - This is a video of how installed and programmed CSI in OS x.

It's a complete walk through from - finding CSI and downloading to programming actions to the controller.

Aimed to help beginners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7idVWp7WV0

(make sure it's in HD)

Thanks to all involved!
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #538
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogbrown View Post

Anyone can share here. That's part of what this thread is for.

When you say config files, I assume you mean surface and fx files. Not the CSI.ini. It's really up to authors to share. I'm a big believer in, "if I've done the work, I'm happy to save someone else from having to repeat it" so I shared my FXTwister setup files in this thread with 170+ fx zones just in the off chance someone with an MFTwister wants to use it, and they own at least some of the same effects as I do. And if not, maybe they'll demo some new plugins and that'll help some developers with sales. If it were up to me, everyone would share. But I get why people don't (will others own the same plugins, will they want the same mappings).

I'll say this, I don't think I've looked at a surface.zon yet that someone else made and shared where I didn't see something that I wanted to steal, or would never have thought of. It's amazing how creative folks can be. For that reason, I tend to download every set of files I come across just to take a peak and steal shamelessly when it will benefit me. I'd advise you to check out this thread and others and do the same. As well as peak around in files that come with CSI for surfaces you don't own. Sometimes you find a golden nugget hidden in someone else's .zon.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #539
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNdark View Post

It's a complete walk through from - finding CSI and downloading to programming actions to the controller.

Aimed to help beginners!

(make sure it's in HD)

Thanks to all involved!
Fabulous !!

Thanks, do you mind if I put this in the videos section on the wiki ?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #540
Funkybot

Quote:

Aimed to help beginners!

(make sure it's in HD)

Thanks to all involved!
Great video. Very easy to follow.

Slightly OT...I know you're not using CSI, but what are you using for the Novation Remote Zero? Is that just a straight MIDI mapping? Automap? Or some other plugin? Just curious. I've got one too and have basically given up on using it since CSI. Will likely replace it with Siniarch's controller whenever that's available.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #541
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Hi!

Total newbie on CSI here!

Is it possible to make CSI send action to midieditor in Reaper?

I have tried with Switch01 Reaper "40055" but it dont mute the midi events.
(Have tried to put Switch01 in TransportControls and SelectedTrack)

Other Reaper actions for Main window works so there is no problem
with my surface not sending.
I don't think CSI can use the Reaper Actions in the MIDI section of the list. At least I've never managed to get them to work.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #542
hedgehogbrown

Quote:
Yes and No :-)

Geoff includes the mst files with the download of CSI; that's the "map" of the physical controller itself. One is included for the Console 1 already, which is incomplete. I've completed the mapping of all buttons and knobs, but haven't got around to giving it to Geoff yet ;-)

As far as then mapping FX to the controller, I have done some work on creating those files for some of the plugins I use most often. But they're not very common FX (DMG Equilibrium, Compassion, TrackControl, Limitless) so sharing them in the download probably wouldn't reach many actual users. For that reason, I'm not sure Geoff will include many such files.

I guess if there IS an argument for these being included it would be for the ReaPlugs such as ReaEQ, ReaComp etc that all CSI users will have. But unfortunately, I tried mapping ReaComp to the controller and it doesn't play very nicely (fundamental to the VST, not a problem of CSI apparently). There are huge value jumps in the Threshold etc for tiny controller movements. So I stopped doing that work.

Ultimately, it would be good to have some kind of Repository for both the MST (Physical controller) and Zone files (what parameters in Reaper or VSTs are controlled). Then users can look to see what Zones are available for the controllers they own and download them to use or modify.

For now, I'm holding off doing much more with the Console 1. Having played with it a while in CSI I'm seeing the quirks and drawbacks, and wondering about upgrading to Siniarch's new Custom Controller when it becomes available. If I don't do that (or can't afford it) then I'll go back to developing workflows with the Console 1.
could you put those in a dropbox or something so us console 1 people can see what our files should look like and get some ideas about how the commands work?
Old 01-17-2021, 03:40 AM   #543
tompad

Quote:
I don't think CSI can use the Reaper Actions in the MIDI section of the list. At least I've never managed to get them to work.
:-( Oh nooo.....

Ok, have to come up with another solution then..

Thanks for your answer.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #544
JoshTobbell

Quote:
Josh, I don't know of any Reaper or CSI action that cycles track inputs, but it may be possible via scripting. Example, a quick Google search yielded this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=131846

Now, that alone is probably not going to do exactly what you want, but I think it's evidence that what you're looking for is at least possible if you (or someone) can script it.
Thanks! I had thought it might be something that would need to be done in ReaScript, another thing i need to have a go at learning I suppose!
JoshTobbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #545
UNdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Fabulous !!

Thanks, do you mind if I put this in the videos section on the wiki ?
Of course - hope it's of use. I'll dig into it a bit more soon
Old 01-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #546
UNdark

Quote:
Great video. Very easy to follow.

Slightly OT...I know you're not using CSI, but what are you using for the Novation Remote Zero? Is that just a straight MIDI mapping? Automap? Or some other plugin? Just curious. I've got one too and have basically given up on using it since CSI. Will likely replace it with Siniarch's controller whenever that's available.
Hi Funkybot and thanks for the comment. I have a couple of sl25's and a remote zero. I spent years getting the envelope/fx parameters assigned and working out a system to go with hot keys. All in reaper (no 3rd party) My other vids are about ways of working with that. I love how the csi programs up and (i preferred the toggle sends!)there's a lot more i have to learn, but to be honest, separating the two controllers - one for fx (with lots of pots and buttons) and one for managing reaper itself - very happy...... though i would like to migrate more to CSI with both controllers ultimately..
Old 01-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #547
LugNut

Quote:

Hi funky,

Could sws console actions help in this case? I used it when I made my mtpro hui/MCU conversion for my Mackie board.
Sorry if I'm way off base here.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #548
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi funky,

Could sws console actions help in this case? I used it when I made my mtpro hui/MCU conversion for my Mackie board.
Sorry if I'm way off base here.
No idea honestly.

I mean, they appear in the Reaper action list, yeah, so that means you can trigger them from CSI. And I see an action to set the track input. But it looks like you still need to set the input # using a keyboard. How do you translate that into a CSI action bound to a knob? Maybe via scripting? That's where the "no idea" part comes into play.

You could set a CSI action assigned to a button to run that action, then type 3 on your keyboard to set input 3 and hit enter to complete that. That's certainly doable.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #549
twoleftfeet

Quote:

Aimed to help beginners!

(make sure it's in HD)

Thanks to all involved!
awesome! wondering if any changes are needed when doing a portable install
thanks
twoleftfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #550
UNdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftfeet View Post
awesome! wondering if any changes are needed when doing a portable install
thanks
I think as long as the CSi folder goes into the reaper resources folder and the csurf into the plugins folder it should run as it would on a local drive.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:15 AM   #551
siniarch

Quote:

Aimed to help beginners!

(make sure it's in HD)

Thanks to all involved!
Thanks for the Video. I might have to pick your brain some about those custom actions to show certain group of layers. I did see how you showed it, but I may need a list of the actual actions used in the custom action. Thanks so much.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #552
cjewellstudios

OSC questions:

For a button that you can change what it says/does through CSI, do you need to overlay a Label and a Button in the touchosc editor?

TouchOSC has an option to send keyboard shortcuts, has anyone tried that yet? If not, that would definitely be a solution to getting CSI to work with the midi editor.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #553
andyp24

@Geoff and anyone else who finds it useful....

Here's my Console 1 mst file, which I think is mapped completely (a bit of guesswork regarding the FX meters, but I'm not sure how to use those anyway!)

Feel free to use it in any way you want. I've renamed some of the controls (compared to the one included in CSI) to reflect the surface labelling more closely.

I'll upload some zon files for Reaper FX as and when I get a chance.

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: txt Console1.txt (5.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #554
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
@Geoff and anyone else who finds it useful....

Here's my Console 1 mst file, which I think is mapped completely (a bit of guesswork regarding the FX meters, but I'm not sure how to use those anyway!)

Feel free to use it in any way you want. I've renamed some of the controls (compared to the one included in CSI) to reflect the surface labelling more closely.

I'll upload some zon files for Reaper FX as and when I get a chance.

Andy
Thanks for the effort !

I will include this in the next build.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #555
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
OSC questions:

For a button that you can change what it says/does through CSI, do you need to overlay a Label and a Button in the touchosc editor?

TouchOSC has an option to send keyboard shortcuts, has anyone tried that yet? If not, that would definitely be a solution to getting CSI to work with the midi editor.
Haven't got to the first question I had yet. But I'm fairly sure I'm right on that.

I did however find that you can send keystrokes through TouchOSC Bridge while using CSI/OSC at the same time.

That's great because now you can set up keyboard shortcuts that work with the midi editor and fire them from your phone/tablet. In the next maybe week or so I'm going to put together a page for Pandabot's Chordgun.

I haven't tested it yet but I assume that also means you could potentially run MIDI CC faders that send to touchOSC bridge and you could enable the bridge in Reaper. It doesn't seem like there would be conflict there.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #556
Funkybot

Quote:
Haven't got to the first question I had yet. But I'm fairly sure I'm right on that.
Meant to answer that earlier...yeah, you're right about just putting the label on top of the button. Works like a charm.

For the best button experience, use a Push Button, then check 'Send on Press,' leave '
'Send on Release' unchecked, and check the box for 'Local Feedback Off.'
Old 01-20-2021, 01:36 AM   #557
andyp24

Can anyone help me out with why I can't get buttons on the Console 1 (haven't tried anyother surface yet) to work with the Bypass button in Reaper's own FX?

If I map, say, the Compressor on/off button to the Bypass parameter in ReaComp, one press of the surface button will untick the box in the ReaComp GUI and bypass the FX, but further presses don't toggle it back on.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here.

Andy
Old 01-20-2021, 02:46 AM   #558
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Can anyone help me out with why I can't get buttons on the Console 1 (haven't tried anyother surface yet) to work with the Bypass button in Reaper's own FX?

If I map, say, the Compressor on/off button to the Bypass parameter in ReaComp, one press of the surface button will untick the box in the ReaComp GUI and bypass the FX, but further presses don't toggle it back on.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here.

Andy
Have look at the Console 1 FX Zone files, see if that makes sense, get back if that doesn't do it for you
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #559
andyp24

Thanks.

I did say it would be something obvious, didn't I? :-)

I even did that when I built my FX Zone for Equilibrium, but then totally forgot when I came to do some more.

EDIT - That said, I don't really understand WHY the syntax has to be that way for this parameter? Or is it all toggle buttons?

A.

Last edited by andyp24; 01-20-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #560
MixMonkey

Quote:
OSC questions:

Yep, that's how you do it. Every button in my OSC files has an associated label.

Quote:
Good point, I'll give it a try