Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 10-01-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
OutsideOctaves
Human being with feelings

Default Practice Tone - Guitar - Live Dual/Quad tracking?

I am interested in looking at my overall tone during practice to get it as close to what I'd have in a final studio mix (so to speak).
I get that dual tracking can fatten up a tone some (not much at all if you do your initial tone setup right with the various parts in the chain, but it's there).

But:

What I'm curious about is this whole dual tracking method a lot of people are talking about these days (quad or even more o.0 ?!?), and if just sending the final signal coming in from the amp/re-amp track to 2 (or even 4) separate tracks live and just "bussing" the 2 (or 4) tracks together would result in a similar sound to dual tracking (via recording 2 separate live takes).

Would this even do anything other than tax my CPU to death?

Signal chain:
Guitar into Focusrite 2i4 and out to my studio monitor. The USB out the back connects to the pc (obviously) and I'm then running Reaper (and using my free and purchased VSTs).
A single live input taken on a D.I. dry track, send that to any fx on a single track (overdrive, chorus, any number of stompboxes...) send that to the amp/re-amp track, then take that and send it to 2 (or 4) tracks that all get sent to a "guitar buss" track that finally outputs to the master.

Also, does it matter here if the amp sim I'm running is running a cab impulse before doubled (or quad) tracked? (meaning both (or all 4) tracks are running the same amped, cab, and mic each time)

Last edited by OutsideOctaves; 10-01-2017 at 02:46 AM.
OutsideOctaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

If both tracks are identical, then it's the exact same thing as just turning the one track up.

If each of the two split tracks use different FX or amps or cabs or even different settings, it might end up more complex and interesting, but it's still not the same thing as actual double tracking.

In actual double tracking it really is the slight differences in timing and dynamics and intonation that you get from two different takes that makes the effect. The easiest way to try to fake that with a single take is to apply a small amount of delay to one side of the split, but that honestly never actually works well. If it's just for monitoring while practicing/tracking, it might be close enough, but I definitely wouldn't use it on stage, and if you're recording, you'll be much better off actually playing the part twice.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Fergler

Try a really slow rate chorus effect full wet on one of the channels.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
you'll be much better off actually playing the part twice.
+1 for this.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
OutsideOctaves

Ok. Thank you for the responses. I didn't know either way. It's good to know these things. Just one track it is.... well, one for the final amp/cab sound anyways lol (One trick Glen Fricker's (SMG) has taught me well in his videos is ALWAYS take a dry track. Hehe.
OutsideOctaves is offline   Reply With Quote