Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #81
Piszpan
Human being with feelings

@goldenarpharazon
Over 3 months later I'm still stuck in the same point. I have read your hints, but I am simply not able to do this myself. Copying/pasting sections of code or finding and changing some values - that's feasible for me. But writing new code - out of my reach.

I am talking here, of course, about adding some functionality to the buttons in the instrument mode. After some thinking I came to conclusion that even the simplest implementation (I mean: no banks, no second layer of funcionality accessible via the Solo button, no LED utilization) would still be a big advance in usability of your great script.

At this moment, whenever I have some virtual switches in my VST instrument GUI's, I use the second bank of knobs in your script. It works, but it is not as elegant nor ergonomic as just having physcial buttons under my fingers. Infortunatelly I am not able to write code that would handle the button toggle mode in instrument mode.

Help me, Obi-Wan...
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #82
goldenarpharazon

Default Repurposing buttons to be learnable with a toggle

Here goes: teach a man to fish, rather than give a fish...

Use this Notepad++ editor to look at the script code. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=notepad+eel2
It will highlight the syntax. aids learning, and helps to ensure that block start and ends (the curved brackets and semicolons etc) align

Then let's start by repurposing a single recarm button. One step at a time to make sure the syntax and intent is correct.

The code needing to be changed is here.
Code:
          midimix_mode == 0 ? oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_track_recarm_toggle, 1 ) : 
          		      ( oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, device_track_select, 1); oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, device_fxparam_bank_select ););
We will change either the first, or more likely the second pair of oscsend() calls (device_track_select & device_fxparam_bank_select: which are made in instrument mode), to instead call a new function toggle_button() which will do the toggle and send the OSC.

Start by declaring a toggle flag. Do this in the // Variable section to be tidy and consistent.

Code:
button1 = 0;   // Flag to track button state
Secondly write the new function needed that looks about like this

Code:
function toggle_button()
//
// Send a toggling OSC string on a button press. Sends 1 or 0 value on subsequent button presses
//
(   
    button1 == 0 ?
    (     
       button1 = 1; 
       oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER,"f/midimix/button/1", 1);
    ):
    (
       button1 = 0;
       oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER,"f/midimix/button/1", 0);  
    ); 
);
Finally call toggle_button() as introduced at the start of this explanation. So the code looks like this. Check the ); so the blocks line and pair up correctly.

Code:
          midimix_mode == 0 ? oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_track_recarm_toggle, 1 ) : 
          		      toggle_button(); );
There. We have a single toggling button that can be "learnt" to change something in Reaper, using Reaper's learn function instead of Record Arming or opening an effect

To harness all eight buttons, this function can either be cut and pasted and modified to make eight function variants (crude but effective) or by extending to do all eight buttons instead of the first one (better but trickier coding whilst learning).

To do such extension the new toggle_button() function would need extending
- to take a parameter 1-8 passed to it depending on the button (see example of parameters in send_soft_fader() function )
- to use an array of eight flags one per button, rather than a single variable
(see the use of memset(): considerable care needed here to start a second array so it doesn't overlap FX_GUIstate)
- send an OSC string per button like "f/midimix/button/1" where the integer in the string varies from 1-8 per button

Finally tidy up the use of a literal string in the toggle_button() function by declaring the string in the same way as the other strings.

One could even extend the use of this new function to more buttons beyond the eight record arms.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 04-16-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Made end intention of changes clearer. Added easy cut and paste suggestion. Added EEL2 syntax aware editor
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #83
Piszpan

@goldenarpharazon

Hurray! I finally managed to do it - thanks to your detailed instructions, of course.
Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #84
warsaw

How would it be possible to disable Mixer Mode completely and just have it at Instrument mode with the banks alongside the Mute/Rec buttons and Faders as extra controllers. Asking for a friend, deleting some code doesn't seem to work unless I'm- I'm meaning to say he- is doing something wrong unless this seems to be beyond my uh-friend's paygrade but the answers right in golden's fishing lesson and no effort was made from learning from it.

Changing midimix_mode = 0 to 1 doesn't seem to help and stays in Mixer mode and won't switch to Instrument. In fact, this may be the problem that could spell out the rest of the solution if that could be solved.
warsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #85
goldenarpharazon

Default Starting in instrument mode

See step 12 of this post earlier in the thread https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=66 for how to start in instrument mode.
Step 1 onwards of the same post explains how to use the faders as extra controllers

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 06-19-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Fader repurpose request answered
Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #86
Piszpan

@warsaw
PM me. I may help you.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #87
goldenarpharazon

Default Head up display for Midimix knob assignments

Darkstar has released a useful GUI Head Up Display that helps keep track of, and displays the assignments of the 144 assignable knobs.

Here is a screenshot thumbnail as taste of what is available

>>> https://i.imgur.com/pUFlQ3k.png
Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #88
Starfighter753

Default Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithoid View Post
All I can see is:

===== Loading scripts from C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot:

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot\MidiMixControl.txt
Listening on 'localhost:9000'
2 inputs, 2 outputs

Total: 1 scripts, 2 inputs, 2 outputs

================================================== ==============================

I get this message from oscii-bot:

===== Loading scripts from C:\Users\Morten\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot:

C:\Users\Morten\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot\MidiMixControl.txt
Warning: tried to open device 'MIDI Mix' but failed
Listening on 'localhost:9000'
Warning: tried to open device 'MIDI Mix' but failed
1 inputs, 1 outputs, 2 bidirectional

Total: 1 scripts, 1 inputs 1 outputs 2 bidirectional

================================================== ==============================

What should I do to make this work?
Starfighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #89
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter753
What should I do to make this work?
Please follow this from page 3 of the AKAI MidiMix control surface user guide "Troubleshooting" section.

"Should you need further guidance on setting up OSCII-bot and OSC in Reaper then see http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1334028&postcount=11"

Simple troubleshooting steps for the Midi or OSC inputs and outputs should get the control surface working.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #90
antor

Hello and thanks for the awesome script!

Is it normal that Reaper reacts slowly to the controls? The mute buttons for example take a few seconds to actually mute a track and then a few more before the mute-light comes on. This does not happen if playback/record is stopped, then its as fast as anything. I've tried narrowing down the cause but it still happens with only one device connected (Microbrute via Midi cable). When I start playback the response is reasonable but a short while later it's slower. Like if data is building up somewhere.
antor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #91
mgrant

Default banks and colors

I have this working including the LEDs setting their color from Reaper.

When I press the Bank Left and Bank Right in Mixer Mode, the channels in Reaper change color. Pressing left makes the channels blue, then pressing right makes them green which does not seem to reverse the left shift. The doc says the bank buttons move across 8 tracks at a time but it's unclear to me what these buttons are doing when there is less than 8 tracks.
mgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #92
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
I have this working including the LEDs setting their color from Reaper.

When I press the Bank Left and Bank Right in Mixer Mode, the channels in Reaper change color. Pressing left makes the channels blue, then pressing right makes them green which does not seem to reverse the left shift. The doc says the bank buttons move across 8 tracks at a time but it's unclear to me what these buttons are doing when there is less than 8 tracks.
The tracks are being highlighted in a random colour each time you bank (ie select the bank of adjacent tracks). This selection and the associated colour change happens both whether there are more or less than eight tracks.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 AM   #93
mgrant

Default banks and colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post

The tracks are being highlighted in a random colour each time you bank (ie select the bank of adjacent tracks). This selection and the associated colour change happens both whether there are more or less than eight tracks.
I see. I'm just wondering if something more useful that could be done instead of a random color choice. For example, if you have 3 banks, why not fix a color for each bank?

Is the color of the physical bank left/write buttons settable? Could you maybe set the color of the button to the color of the bank that it selects on screen?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #94
goldenarpharazon

Default Track colour scheme choices

Quote:
I see. I'm just wondering if something more useful that could be done instead of a random color choice. For example, if you have 3 banks, why not fix a color for each bank?

Is the color of the physical bank left/write buttons settable? Could you maybe set the color of the button to the color of the bank that it selects on screen?
The combination of all of highlighting the selected track bank, and honouring and restoring chosen track's colours in Reaper is tricky simply because if the way Reaper works. Unfortunately Reaper does not provide an API or OSC mechanism that tells what the current track colour is. The MIDIMIX button LEDs are a single fixed colour too.

Some of the choices are covered earlier in the thread - see https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=44 that guides to different choices that may be preferable.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #95
mgrant

Quote:
The combination of all of highlighting the selected track bank, and honouring and restoring chosen track's colours in Reaper is tricky simply because if the way Reaper works. Unfortunately Reaper does not provide an API or OSC mechanism that tells what the current track colour is. The MIDIMIX button LEDs are a single fixed colour too.
Ok so I start to understand, though I don't quite get why it would be a good idea to chose a random colour, it seems to be confusing, especially if there is only one bank of 8 channels.

I guess there is no way to read the current channel bank from Reaper via OSC either?

I see here (https://mespotin.uber.space/Mespotin..._Commands.html) that 40357 can set a track to a specific colour. If you knew which bank you were in, you could set a specific colour defined in the MidiMixContro.txt file to a specific bank--this seems like it could be useful. But if you don't really know which bank you are in since you are only incrementing and decrementing the bank, well, that idea won't work of course!

If this is the case, I am just going to comment out changing the bank colours.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #96
mgrant

Ahh I think I understand now. You are using the random colour to hilight in Reaper which 8 tracks the MidiMix is currently controlling. I see now.

I would prefer to have a fixed colour for the hilight.

Is there a place in the MidiMixContro.txt file that I could put a command to hilight the first 8 tracks that are currently being controlled when the script runs?

[edit]
Yes I figured it out, just put the commands just after the starting point around line 290.

And I tried using this command 40357, it pops up a colour chooser window asking for the track colour.

Ok, so now it's all clear why you HAVE to use a random colour to show the hilight! Got it now. Thanks.

Last edited by mgrant; 04-23-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #97
mgrant

Default banks and colors

Last question on this before I cease and desist playing with this...

Is it possible to pass in the hex colour arg to action 40357? Or does action 40357 always pop up a colour chooser?

I tried this but it didn't work at all, no colour chooser, didn't do anything:

Code:
reaper_action_d = "i/action/%d";
oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_action_d, 40357, 0x00FF0000);
Old 04-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #98
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Last question on this before I cease and desist playing with this...

Is it possible to pass in the hex colour arg to action 40357? Or does action 40357 always pop up a colour chooser?

I tried this but it didn't work at all, no colour chooser, didn't do anything:
Try the SWS extensions for maximum richness on setting a preselected track colour
see http://www.sws-extension.org/color.php

There are probably examples of its use in the forum, and in Banned's Peavey StudioMix code : the MIDIMIX does not use SWS by design intent.
There are possibilities to highlight using layout change, using colour, and it might be possible to combine these with a specially modified theme.
See also the thread https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209008 that was trying to find ways to enhance track highlighting.

If you have only have eight tracks or less, then any highlighting on banking has no real functional value. One could avoid pressing (or disable the specific function) of the banking buttons by commenting out the colour changing code.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 04-30-2019 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Link together related highlighting ideas in other thread
Old 05-09-2019, 03:51 AM   #99
goldenarpharazon

Default Choices for bank selection customisation

Various forum users have over time asked how to modify or change how track selection is highlighted to a Reaper user on banking across groups of eight tracks with the MIDIMIX.
This post aims to give advice so that a user can set things up how they wish.

The possible appearance and function on banking is affected by all of
• Reaper version
• whether the user is using the default or other themes,
• customised layouts
• using SWS extensions or not
• their preferred bank identification technique.
The choice is also influenced by whether unvarying track icons or colour selections identifying tracks are already considered important for the Reaper project or workflow, since these are changed when the selected track bank is identified with colour or track icons.

The following list summarises the bank identification techniques possible and the associated actions that make the technique work, to help experimentation and customisation choice.

1. Track icon
Actions to use
40899 - Track: Set track icon
40900 - Track: Remove track icon
Overrides previously selected track presentation? Yes (icons)

2. Track colour (default-white)
Actions to use
_SWS_WHITETRACK
40359 - Track: Set to default color (i.e. reset)
Overrides previously selected track presentation? Yes (colours)

3. Track colour (default-random) - This is the technique used in the supplied MIDIMIX script
Actions to use
40360 - Track: Set to one random color

4. Track colour (default-preset)
Actions to use
_SWS_TRACKCUSTCOL1 - SWS: Set selected track(s) to custom color 1 (NB custom color needs to be defined)

5. Mixer layout and/or Track layout
Actions to use
41698 Layout: apply custom layout #03
41700 Layout: apply custom layout #05
41696 Layout: apply custom layout #01 (to reset)
48500 Layout: default layout (equivalent to 41696: perhaps does not work as desired?)
Overrides previously selected track presentation? No

To use this method, assign custom layouts to a selectable number by selecting in the menu View->Screensets/Layout ->Layouts tab in Reaper 5. The custom layouts available or changeable will depend on your Reaper theme.

6. Track height
Actions to use
970 - View: Adjust selected track heights a little bit (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)
or
_XENAKIOS_SELTRAXHEIGHTA - Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks heights to A
_XENAKIOS_SELTRAXHEIGHTB - Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks heights to B
_XENAKIOS_STORETRACKHEIGHTS - Xenakios/SWS: Store selected tracks heights
_XENAKIOS_RECALLTRACKHEIGHTS - Xenakios/SWS: Recall selected tracks heights
Overrides previously selected track presentation? SWS actions: No. Reaper 970: probably No.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 05-09-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #100
KenB

This discussion has gotten WAY above my pay grade.

I haven't purchased a MidiMax yet.

All I want to know is ... can the knobs be used to control the settings of my VST soft synths and other VST plugins?

Thanks!

KenB
Old 06-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #101
mschnell

It very likely can using the CSI plugin.

See the "Control Surfaces" subforum.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 AM   #102
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
All I want to know is ... can the knobs be used to control the settings of my VST soft synths and other VST plugins?

Yes the knobs will do this.
See the earlier post in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...36&postcount=3
There isn't, as yet, any CSI setup for the MidiMix.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 06-17-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #103
mschnell

Quote:
There isn't, as yet, any CSI setup for the MidiMix.
Right now only for a fraction of the thousands of available surface devices (and possible workflows), there are pre-crafted CSI setup files. Hence the user of a "new" device might be required to do them himself.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #104
KenB

I finally got a MidiMix ... but I'm a little confused on determining which IP address to use in file MidiMixControl.txt the OSC setup.

Item 4 of the MidiMix101b1 setup pdf file states ...

"Edit one line in MidiMixControl.txt starting with @output OSC_to_REAPER… to be your Reaper DAW’s IP address. This IP address aa.bb.cc.dd can be found on Windows by typing ipconfig /all at your command prompt."

ipconfig /all yields the following IP addresses ... IPv4 (192.168.1.66), subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and the DHCP server (192.168.1.254)

But ...

When I go to Preferences > Control/OSC/web to setup the MidiMax ... the Control Surface Settings dialog > Mode: Configure IP device + local port ... gives the local IP as 192.68.1.66

So the question is ... which IP address do I use in MidiMixControl.txt ... 192.168.1.66, 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.254?

Thanks!

KenB
Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #105
DarkStar

192.168.1.66:8000

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #106
n0npr0phet

Default No LEDs

Hi All,
I got this working with MIDIMIX and OSC and thanks for making this script. My only issue so far is that I don't see any LEDs. I checked these things:

* I factory reset the MIDIMIX
* My MIDIMIX LEDs work on Ableton
* I tried using MIDIMIX out on another device and I could see that OSCII complained that it couldn't connect. I undid this and connects fine.
* I added ShowIO.txt script and I see three messages. The message to Reaper and maybe note on and note off to MIDIMix. I think it says 80 then 90. It's super hard to read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NP
n0npr0phet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #107
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0npr0phet View Post

* I added ShowIO.txt script and I see three messages. The message to Reaper and maybe note on and note off to MIDIMix. I think it says 80 then 90. It's super hard to read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NP
Refer to Banned's advice in this post on getting inputs and outputs working
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=11

There is likely something incorrect with local config either for the OSC feedback from Reaper (to OSCII-bot) or with the Midi output from OSCII-bot (to the MIDIMIX). You need all of the Midi input and output and the OSC input and output to be working correctly (i.e. two inputs and two outputs shown starting correctly in the OSCII-bot console).

If this does not correct the problem then press a single mute key for a track that exists, observe the OSCII-bot console output and copy it exactly on here for better advice.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #108
fordprefect92

Hi,

I have one question and one comment to offer. I am now in Reaper 6, with the MIDI Mix and goldenarpharazon's Carnelian script functioning correctly (controlling faders, mute, solo, rec arm, LED lights work on/off). Thanks so much to him and the others on this forum for enabling this script and for troubleshooting help.

1) I have a potential solution for n0npr0phet's issue with LEDs, but I would still like some further advice on configuring I/O. I was also having trouble getting the LEDs to work on the MIDIMix. I am now in Reaper 6.
In the Reaper Control Surface Settings page, I simply switched the "Mode" to "Local port", reloaded scripts in OSCII-bot, and the LEDS worked as intended on the MIDI Mix.

2) I followed Banned's advice for input/output and I want to make sure I get all four I/O streams to work correctly (2 inputs, 2 outputs in the OSCII-bot console).
OSCII-Bot console tells me "Listening on 'localhost:9000'...1 inputs, 1 outputs, 2 bidirectional"...does this mean I have all four? Are the bidirectional the same as having two additional input/outputs?

The MIDI Mix is controlling faders, mute, solo, etc. and I can switch banks to shift selection across groups of 8 tracks, etc. so I assume the OSC input/output is working as intended. Banned's provided scripts are no longer available (the dropbox links are dead), so I'm having trouble monitoring what's going on with the I/O.

FYI, the MidiMixControl script I/O section reads as follows:
@input in MIDI "MIDI Mix" // Input to script from MIDIMIX
@input OSC_IN OSC "localhost:9000" // Input to script from OSC
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.0.x:8000" 0 0 // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper
// This IP address will be specific and need changing to your DAW
@output out MIDI "MIDI Mix" // Output to MIDIMIX from script

Thanks!
fordprefect92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:57 AM   #109
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordprefect92 View Post
I want to make sure I get all four I/O streams to work correctly (2 inputs, 2 outputs in the OSCII-bot console).
OSCII-Bot console tells me "Listening on 'localhost:9000'...1 inputs, 1 outputs, 2 bidirectional"...does this mean I have all four? Are the bidirectional the same as having two additional input/outputs?
Yes they are. Bi-directional inputs were added in OSCII-bot V0.4 so won't be mentioned in any older OSCII-bot posts or advice. See
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=122 and subsequent thread postings.

If the control surface works with the correct functionality (i.e. the buttons do actions in Reaper, LEDs respond to button press) then it's all working just fine.

If there are concerns with any input or output not working then there are two ways to investigate.

1. Use Reaper's OSC monitor (the 'Listen' button on the OSC Control Surface Settings page) to check the messages are being received by Reaper.

2. Look at the OSCII-bot console which shows both the Midi and OSC messages as they are being sent.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 01-04-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #110
billybuck

Is there an OSCII way to make track banking ignore tracks that are "hidden" in the MCP?

For example, I use a track folder as a drum buss, and once I get the drum mix I want, I typically hide the individual tracks in the MCP and just use the buss folder for gain/FX manipulation. That's usually when I start using the MIDIMix, but with the current configuration, I often forget the hidden tracks are still being controlled, so I move a fader thinking I'm controlling a different track and wind up screwing up my drum mix.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #111
billybuck

Second OSCII question: has anyone found a way to deal with controlling sends with the top rows of encoders in mixer mode and retain banking control?

I know it's possible in instrument mode, but when I use the MIDIMix for tracking, it would be great to have the top 2 encoders control, say, a headphone monitor send and a reverb send in mixer mode for easy access by other band members who aren't familiar with the intricacies of getting in and out of instrument mode.

Reaper's actions only allow you control send X on a selected track.

I've been able to hard-code the encoders to custom actions (select track, adjust send x) for tracks 1-8, but then they obviously don't follow if you change banks.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:11 AM   #112
deeb

Does anyone knows if it is possible to work with 2 or more midimix units with this?
Also I just had a day to try this out, is there a way to skip some tracks? Example: skip selecting tracks with name starting with # .. because for me there are tracks which are layers or parallels in which simple consecutive tracks selection does not make sense or ideal. At some point I should look at the code and check ... Ufff .. I want so much to just focus on music making
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #113
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Does anyone knows if it is possible to work with 2 or more midimix units with this?
The control surface is implemented for one single MidiMix. It should be possible to modify the script to use more than one Midimix with some knowledge of Midi and how the script works. One would have to decide whether to bank in steps of 8 or 16.

Quote:
Also I just had a day to try this out, is there a way to skip some tracks? Example: skip selecting tracks with name starting with # .. because for me there are tracks which are layers or parallels in which simple consecutive tracks selection does not make sense or ideal. At some point I should look at the code and check ... (
The control surface uses Reaper's standard Track Bank and banking features that step across 8 tracks at a time given the size of the Midimix so does not skip tracks.

Breaking free from such banking, it might be possible to select or assign tracks specifically based on different rules, or use track folders, but this needs consideration for the workflow and switching between projects. How would a particular slider be remembered by the user, or identified on the screen as associated with the tracks? This post https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216831 gives some suggestions on workflow for a different hardware controller outside of Reaper's OSC.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #114
billybuck

Quote:
This thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216831 gives some suggestions on workflow for a different hardware controller outside of Reaper's OSC.
From that thread, it appears the Klinke script ignores tracks that are collapsed into folders, or hidden in the MCP. Is there a way to do that in your Akai script, for example querying Reaper for what tracks are available instead of just looking at the total quantity? My goal is to get the controller to match the screen, so I'm only controlling the tracks I see.

For me, the best argument for the MIDIMix is the ability to get hands-on with the faders in real time, writing parameter automation. I can usually consolidate projects down to 8 folder busses that I want to actively ride. If I could get the script to only "see" and control those folders, it would be huge.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #115
billybuck

Actually, I want to change directions here and instead of being the guy who says "hey, after working your ass off on this free tool, I now demand that it does X because my workflow is the only one that exists." I want to start another way and say thanks many times over for the time you've put into this project.

I originally purchased my MIDIMix on an open-box clearance, before reading anything about its integration with Reaper. I figured it was all mappable, so no problem, right? Ha!

I'd been wanting a control surface to get away from the static workflow that I've fallen into, working in the box. When you have your hands on multiple physical controls simultaneously, in real time, you can improvise, sometimes leading to happy accidents. Improv and chance are a big part of the music I've been working on lately.

Fortunately I found your script, already in the Carnelian release, and it works exactly as advertised. I can tell you've put a lot of thought into the default mappings, making them work for a broad range of tasks for the widest range of users, and making the MIDIMix about as intuitive as a multi-mode device with 40-odd unlabeled knobs and switches can be.

I personally don't use the instrument mode much due to the time it takes to map all that out (and then remember it later), but I definitely see why you included it. For those in a live environment, or projects where you have relatively fixed instruments and FX, the capabilities are amazing.

So again, thanks.

After some thought about the track-hiding scenario in my previous post, I thought I should revise my question to be useful to MIDIMix users more generally. Let's call it a formal "feature request" to consider for a potential future release (though realizing you're one guy with limited time, doing this out of kindness, and there may be no future releases).

So: if a track is hidden in the MCP *and* the TCP, we can probably assume that nearly all users would have no need to control that track with a control surface. Is there a way for your script to respond to this and only control visible tracks?

I'm assuming that initial track query goes beyond the simple scripting of OSCII and gets deeper into the Reaper API, so it may be a bigger project than is worthwhile.

Anyway, thanks again for giving us this great tool. I've used the s*** out of it over the last few months.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #116
deeb

Quote:
How would a particular slider be remembered by the user, or identified on the screen as associated with the tracks?

I could see 2 ways:
1)By default like it is now and an action to exclude from selection selected tracks
2) no track is selected until triggered an action to include selected tracks for controller selection

P_ext could be used for holding the information

You get what I mean right?

Thank you!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #117
deeb

Or just something like tracks which name starts with #
Old 02-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #118
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Or just something like tracks which name starts with #
Yes these three hinted suggestions make sense in an enhanced or personalised workflow. The catch for implementation here is where the EEL script runs. A Reascript can find all this track info and call the Reaper API but not feedback to the hardware control surface. The OSCII-bot script can't call the Reaper API and can only interact via actions or OSC messages and runs without full knowledge of Reaper's state.

This limitation is expanded more in the following threads
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=155860
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=161350

The specific functionality could be coded in completely alternative methods in either the Reaper (software) csurf [as Klinke], or it might be implementable using Geoff Waddington’s generic Control Surface Integration which has a mechanism for hidden tracks (quite buried in that huge CSI thread).
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #119
deeb

Ohh thank you for the feedback. It seems that is far away from my knowledge... And I don't have so much motivation for exploring since what I really want is spend time on a daw doing music
I would be fine if volume , pan, mute , and and sends levels could be able to be leaned as like plugins parameters are , feedback would definitely be a big plus but I could skip it. At the end even learning this I would say basic things is not possible.
I am tired to be honest.
Thank you so much
Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #120
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
I would be fine if volume , pan, mute , and sends levels could be able to be lea[r]ned as like plugins parameters are , feedback would definitely be a big plus but I could skip it.
It's a one line script code edit to change each slider or the pan/mutes to be a learnable OSC string like the plugins' knobs. Or if button feedback LED and the multiple banks of buttons and knobs aren't needed just map (using Reaper learning) the MIDIMIX's midi output.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 02-04-2020 at 12:02 PM.