Old 10-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
ktwAudio
Human being with feelings

Default Error initializing ASIO driver

Howdy,

Suddenly hit a really annoying problem, whereby when I open REAPER I'm just being met with an "Error opening devices" message saying: "There was an error opening the audio hardware: Error initializing ASIO driver."

Thing is nothing has changed! There was a windows update that came through almost a week ago, but after that installed I used REAPER for several days without any problems. The other day, though, this started happening. If I change the Audio System to something else then it will work, but in the past I've found it to have more latency issues, so I've preferred to stick to ASIO.

I've tried updating the driver(s) to my audio interface (Roland Quad-Capture), but that comes back saying it's running the latest. I've checked the Roland website and found I am. I wasn't running the latest version of REAPER, so downloaded that but still getting it.

While Googling I saw something about going to the computer's Device Manager and locating Universal ASIO Driver, then making sure that's up to date; but I can't find that anywhere in my Device Manager.

Other than that I feel I've exhausted all options, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
ktwAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
foxAsteria

"Universal ASIO Driver?" I don't believe there is any such thing. It's certainly not something that would ever show up in device manager because drivers tend to be specific to hardware, and device manager is a list of hardware components, not drivers (though it can tell you which drivers they are using).

The closest thing to that I think would ASIO4All, which is a hack intended for devices that don't actually support ASIO, and also won't show up in device manager.

Usually the problem you describe is hardware related. It could mean your cable is bad or the port it's plugged into, or even the audio device itself.

Can you try your Roland on another computer? You just need to troubleshoot and rule out every part of the chain.

You could also try uninstalling your device driver and reinstalling it (with a reboot in between). Something may have become corrupted there.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
nofish

I think this message can also appear when another application is already using the ASIO driver (if it's not multi-client), could that be the case?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
ktwAudio

@foxAsteria: Yeah, I didn't think 'Universal ASIO Driver' was a thing either, but having seen "guides" mentioning it when looking for a solution I made sure to check. Wasn't really surprised but not finding it, but there's always the thought that not finding it is a sign of there being a problem.

@nofish: As far as I know that wasn't the issue. I've been using the interface for a couple of years now and this was the only time this problem arose.

Just to note though - the problem is (currently) fixed. I'm not completely sure why. I tried some of the things I had previously tried again just to be double-y or triple-y sure. So checking driver updates, disconnecting/reconnecting the interface, software updates etc. Nothing new seemed to appear BUT it's working fine again now. No idea why but hopefully it's just good from here.

Cheers for taking the time to chime in and help out.
ktwAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
rfxcasey

Having this exact same problem with my Roland Quad Capture. Everything in Reaper 64 was working fine with this same interface for several years now, then recently had this error occur and the only way to fix it was to uninstall the Quad Capture completely and then re install. Worked for a session or two, now I'm getting it again so what changed and what is the problem? I haven't touched anything with my drivers, is this a bug in Reaper?
rfxcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
rfxcasey

Thinking about it now, I don't think I ever had this problem till I updated to v5.99. Cockos, you want to fix your buggy software? I can't update any further unless I buy another license but I don't want to revert to an older version either.

Edit: For anyone interested, I just started Reaper, closed the error message and chose the ASIO4all driver just to see. I was able to record with the Quad unit but doesn't show the Quad as an option of playback, limiting my output options to my Sound Blaster card. So this tells me, the Quad apparently working somewhat. I'm going to reinstall the dedicated Quad ASIO driver and see if that helps.

Last edited by rfxcasey; 02-22-2020 at 01:18 PM.
rfxcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfxcasey View Post
Thinking about it now, I don't think I ever had this problem till I updated to v5.99. Cockos, you want to fix your buggy software? I can't update any further unless I buy another license but I don't want to revert to an older version either.
It would only take you a few minutes to test this theory and isn't risky in the slightest: https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php And you definitely can test latest versions without upgrading your license first. Don't blame Cockos if you aren't willing to do any proper troubleshooting. No need to guess.

You guys probably want to ensure all you system drivers are up to date. Seemingly unrelated bad drivers can interfere with your audio device. Try DriverBooster or DriverEasy to check for any updates.