Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
DuelingOgres
Human being with feelings

Default Track Movement Automation

I am looking for a way to set up a macro that shifts items to the end of other items across multiple tracks.

For Instance: I have a podcast and I will use auto trim/split to remove the longer silences. When it's just my co-host and I on a single track, no big deal. After cutting the silence I use SWS's reposition items. But that only works on the current track.

If I have a guest, I record them on a separate channel, but I have not found the more efficient way to remove the silences between both tracks AND reposition them appropriately.

Does that make sense? Sorry if I'm not explaining that well.
DuelingOgres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelingOgres View Post
After cutting the silence I use SWS's reposition items. But that only works on the current track.
Can you please elaborate on what you mean with 'only works on the current Track', exactly?
And can you also post screenshots showing an example how the (two) Tracks look like before repositioning. And how you want the Items on the (two) Tracks repositioned in the end?

How to: post attachments & screenshots: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Last edited by solger; 05-21-2018 at 02:11 AM. Reason: link added
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
DuelingOgres

Sure, sorry for the delay on responding as well.

If I have multiple tracks I can use auto trim/split with both tracks selected and it will cut the silence appropriately from each track individually.

If, with both tracks selected, I use the SWS reposition items extension, it will remove the empty space between those tracks which throws off the back-and-forth nature of the conversation. Basically, it doesn't shift the beginning of an item on the top track to the end of the item on the track below it.

I figure that a good nested macro of different actions will get me right there or really close using actions that "move items to the end of other items across lanes", something similar to that.

The primary problems I'm running into are:
a.) There are so many actions I'm not entirely sure what to use and
b.) If I'll be able to do it in one macro or if I'll have to stack one or more to make it work.

The second part I should be able to fiddle with until it works if I can find the most appropriate actions to use in the first part.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
DuelingOgres

Bumping and trying my best to keep an eye on my query.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

This is a good question. I don't have a good answer, but I feel like somebody somewhere must have a workflow for this. I don't know for sure if maybe the thread title isn't quite catching people's eyes...
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Lokasenna

What if you work with both parts on one track using Free Item Positioning? Then the SWS action should correctly move each one to the end of its counterpart, after which you can drag each speaker's items to their own track.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
DuelingOgres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
This is a good question. I don't have a good answer, but I feel like somebody somewhere must have a workflow for this. I don't know for sure if maybe the thread title isn't quite catching people's eyes...
Maybe, but I'm not exactly sure what else to call it XD.

"Gumdrops are just rainbow tears"? I dunno, I feel like that's kinda dark.

Last edited by DuelingOgres; 08-21-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
DuelingOgres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
What if you work with both parts on one track using Free Item Positioning? Then the SWS action should correctly move each one to the end of its counterpart, after which you can drag each speaker's items to their own track.
I'm not 100% sure what Free Item Positioning does? If that's what rippled editing turned off is, then see next:

The problem with the second part is, that only works if nobody's talking over the other person, and then you still have to go through and separate the two tracks item by item. Then that'd be a true fresh hell if you have more than two people.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
DuelingOgres

Default HELP Item Movement Automation Across Tracks Macro

Quoted the old message and tried to dial it in a bit more, then gave it a new title to hopefully clarify what I'm looking to accomplish:

I am looking for a way to set up a macro that shifts items to the end of other items across multiple tracks.

For Instance: I have a podcast and I will use "item: auto trim/split" to remove the longer silences. When it's just my co-host and I on a single track, no big deal.

Workflow: After cutting the silence with "item: auto trim/split items" I use SWS's "reposition items." This is great for a single track because you can remove all of the dead space between items, essentially squishing the track together.

But that does not work if you have more than one track. I want to automate one item on track B to sit directly against the item before it on track A and continue down the line until it reaches the end of the items between multiple tracks.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
nofish

I've just uploaded a script to ReaPack which should (hopefully) do this:
"Snap selected items to previous item end across tracks (optionally keep overlaps).lua"

(Note that my scripts repository isn't enabled by default in ReaPack.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #11
DuelingOgres

Awesome no fish! I'll take a look on Thursday and see if I can get it moving!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
DuelingOgres

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I've just uploaded a script to ReaPack which should (hopefully) do this:
"Snap selected items to previous item end across tracks (optionally keep overlaps).lua"

(Note that my scripts repository isn't enabled by default in ReaPack.)
NoFish, that is beautiful and in my simple initial test worked flawlessly. After I figured out how to get everything loaded in, anyway (total n00b to scripts). Thank you so much for your work as you've likely made my workflow more efficient!