Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
zendeer
Human being with feelings

Default Persistent unwanted metronome click--how to turn off?

I have a metronome click coming from somewhere I can't find. It's getting recorded into all of my tracks I've scanned through many threads here on metronome clicks. None seem to address this particular issue.

I'm recording MIDI on virtual instrument tracks from an Akai MPK249, at the moment using a Loom plugin (in case any of these things could be source of click). I have the Reaper metronome turned OFF. In the Reaper metronome settings dialog box, I have everything unchecked. I've even turned down Primary Beat volume to zero for good measure.

I did insert a separate Click Source track. Once I figure out the other unwanted click source, I will always use this Click Source strategy in future so I can control when I hear it!

But for now, I'm stumped on where the other click is coming from. Any ideas??
zendeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
uncleswede

Do you have any hidden, unmuted tracks that might be the source of the click? Check in View/Track Manager (F3)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
zendeer

I opened the Track Manager and only the tracks I'm aware of appear there. There are four tracks in the project currently. Even if I mute all four tracks, the click is still audible when I press the > play arrow.

It's ironic to be struggling to turn this off...I used to struggle to turn it on.

I am a relatively new Reaper user, so this could be something extremely elementary that I'm overlooking.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
ramses

It must be coming from the AKAI then. When you say you're recording MIDI, are you actually recording MIDI or are you recording audio into Reaper?
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
zendeer

Ramses, I wasn't able to find a metronome, if any, on the Akai, so I tried next best thing: I opened a new Reaper project, inserted one normal track (no virtual instrument, no Akai).

When I arm the track and click the brown record button, same thing. Audible click from unknown source.

To be sure I'm not overlooking the obvious, here's recap of how I'm turning off Reaper's metronome:
1) I deselect the metronome icon in the upper left hand corner of reaper
2) For good measure, I right click on that same icon to open the metronome dialog box. Even though the master check box is now unchecked, I uncheck all the other boxes and turn down the beat volumes, just for good measure
3) I return to the armed track, hit the record button...click still audible

Does that all sound correct?
If yes, where else could this click be coming from?

At the moment, I'm unable to record anything, as the click seems to be recorded into the track. (Or at least I'm never able to stop hearing it, even on playback)

Thanks to all who have offered up ideas. Mystery not yet solved.

Last edited by zendeer; 10-04-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #6
zendeer

OH, I found the click source!! It was Monitor Fx, with Geist2 as a VSTi secretly running in the background. This is a small setting in the upper right hand corner of my Reaper window, MONITOR FX in bright green with a power icon. When I clicked the power icon, it turned the monitor off (color goes to red)...and the click went with it!

I've been using Geist2 a lot with Reaper, but have no idea how this monitor setting came to be there. I'm not aware of using it or setting it. Sheer persistence in exploring every nook and cranny let me stumble into it.

Thanks everyone. Hope the many hours I put into this serve someone else some day.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #7
Bazzbass

glad you solved it. It was so much easier on the ol Tascam Portastudio 4 track, you could see every button, although there was no click track on those things hehe. And only about 4 buttons
Old 10-05-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
zendeer

I hear you Bazzbass, dizzying layers of controls and options now. I've been around long enough to remember things with just a few buttons or knobs. 😜
Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendeer View Post
I've been using Geist2 a lot with Reaper, but have no idea how this monitor setting came to be there. I'm not aware of using it or setting it. Sheer persistence in exploring every nook and cranny let me stumble into it.
Glad you solved it. For info, the "monitor-fx" chain is meant for plugins that you might want to use post master fader, like visualizers of different kinds (spectrum, stereo-image), and so on. These fx will NOT be mixed down when rendering, and they will stay put across different projects/sessions.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote