Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Casualty
Human being with feelings

Default Completely Hide Spectral Edits?

I'm finding that once I make a spectral edit to an item, certain elements remain visible and functional even after I hide the spectrogram. In particular the ability to move the range of the edit remains operable, and that can accidentally and unintentionally be adjusted in some cases when trying to drag an item to a different location. Also, sometimes the knobs pop up and get in the way when trying to adjust the edge of an item. Is there a way to completely hide these elements and stop that from happening? Thanks.
Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
heda

I think it is not liked to hide things like this or stretch markers for example. But there should be a way to lock the spectral edits to avoid accidental change. It is a good idea.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
jeranx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casualty View Post
I'm finding that once I make a spectral edit to an item, certain elements remain visible and functional even after I hide the spectrogram. In particular the ability to move the range of the edit remains operable, and that can accidentally and unintentionally be adjusted in some cases when trying to drag an item to a different location. Also, sometimes the knobs pop up and get in the way when trying to adjust the edge of an item. Is there a way to completely hide these elements and stop that from happening? Thanks.
Hi there, you have this action to toggle with.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope it helps. Bye
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Casualty

Thanks, Jeranx. Nice to know that option is there. However that does not address the specific behavior I was referring to, which is the unintentional adjustment of a spectral edit when trying to drag an item.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Casualty

Default Spectral Edit: Auto Hide Knobs & Resizing Adjacent Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I think it is not liked to hide things like this or stretch markers for example. But there should be a way to lock the spectral edits to avoid accidental change. It is a good idea.
Heda, yes, the ability to lock spectral edits would solve at least one of the problems I mentioned. However there is still the behavior of the auto hiding knobs, which would be nice to just be able to hide them and not have them pop up automatically. The knobs occupy some pretty crowded real estate along the edge of an item. They make adjusting numerous parameters a little bit tricky, and they also obscure the waveform. The ability to toggle them on or off manually would be beneficial.

There's another less than optimal behavior associated with spectral edits I am also noticing that involves a loss of functionality when resizing adjacent items. Without spectral edits engaged, it's possible to adjust the edges of two adjacent items simultaneously. However, if you have spectral edits on the items, simultaneous resizing of the two adjacent items seems to be not possible as far as I can tell. They have to be resized one at a time. A nitpick for sure, but I have always found that functionality to make work flow somewhat easier in some situations and I do miss it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
heda

yes... Maybe you can bump this thread I opened some time ago for ideas and enhancements for spectral edits
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=196212

I think spectral edits are great and I hope they keep enhancing them.

we have these coming in v5.60:
+ Spectral editing: clicking on item clears spectral edit selection
+ Spectral editing: separate controls for fade in/out/low/high rather than just time/frequency
+ Spectral editing: shift+drag of edges adjusts fade of that edge
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
yes... Maybe you can bump this thread I opened some time ago for ideas and enhancements for spectral edits
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=196212

I think spectral edits are great and I hope they keep enhancing them.
I agree. Spectral Editing is a very powerful tool and having it integrated into Reaper is like a dream come true, even with it's current limitations. I certainly look forward to future enhancements.

Last edited by Casualty; 10-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.