Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Need a mini hardware synth suggestion

I'm looking to add synth sounds and custom percussion to my band, so I need suggestions for a good purchase.

I'm looking for a mini synth (2ish octaves is fine) with the following features:

- USB connectivity
- SD card or USB backup/writing/import of sounds/settings
- Built in fx

Bonus:
some drum pads
phantom powered mic thruput

Now, I don't care for brand name or anything like that. I'm not partial to any particular synthesizer filter chain or anything like that.

I want simply works, preferably affordable. Also down to wait for dropshipping if anyone has a hookup on that sort of thing.

It seems like I want something like the AKAI MPK MINI MK2 but without needing the laptop and better build quality/playability (based on reviews of the knobs and keys).

edit: Gah all I can find is controllers without synths... I can put a world of synthesizers on my phone, does no one make mini synths of the size of that Akai that are not analog and not needing to be hooked up to a computer or tablet?

edit2:

https://www.amazon.ca/Korg-TAKTILE25...70_&dpSrc=srch

Looks ok, but two glaring issues from their FAQ that make it unjustifiable to drop 400 on it:
Q: Can I edit the sounds on the TRITON taktile?
A: Sounds can be edited on the TRITON taktile, however the edits cannot be saved. Editable parameters include: Volume, Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, Decay, Release, MFX1, MFX2
Q: Can I use more than one TRITON sound at a time?
A: TRITON taktile is not multitimbral and can play one Program at a time.

So, no loading up samples on the pads while running strings on the keys. Can't import samples anyway.

edit3:

It seems another option is to buy the cheap controller and get an external sound module box. Taking suggestions on those, too, again must be able to load my own sounds preferably in a universal format like SF2 or SFZ or at least have some sort of software to set up my own patches of custom sounds.

Last edited by Fergler; 02-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
barefaced

I dont know what kind of sounds you are searchng for, but I suggest the novation mininova or the microkorg as „to go“ synth.

If you want real cheap but very cool synth, take a look at the teenage engineering POs. They also have samplers in thier program.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Fergler

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at it but it is both out of price range and out of the scope of what I need it to do. I had a lot of emphasis on synythesis but from what I can tell it can't load any sample libraries and also doesn't have the drum pad, though I'll settle for no drumpad.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 AM   #4
drumphil

A synthesizer with sampling, flash storage for sample retention, and drum pads isn't going to be at the cheapest end of keyboards, and is unlikely to be found in a mini keyboard format.

Something like a Korg Kross 2 - 61 key version might be the answer. Around $750. Has sampling, pads that you can use for percussion, and a mic input. Heck, it can even run on AA batteries! Pretty cheap for what it does.

If you can't afford that, then it's back to the cheap controller and a laptop/phone option.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
Fergler

If I had a more stable phone I'd consider it.