Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default I added a video (Tod's Thunderbirds)

Hi my fellow Reaperers.

I just finished a production for a contest on "VIP". VIP is a group of producers, audio engineers, and song writers who get together and help each other out with their music.

The way the contest works is 5 or 6 people get together and create backing tracks that we have to use in our own production. The only thing we can't do is add or change any chords, otherwise we can cut and splice the heck out of it to create our own productions. I cut and spliced the heck out of it.

I ended up only using one of the backing tracks and then added my own tracks. I used our own SMM drums along with what I call "Native Drums" that I programed in Kontakt several years ago. Then I added strings and played my Tele guitar over the top of it.

I'm not going to submit this for a couple of weeks, so I'd like to test it out on you Reaper folks. If you here anything that needs fixing please let me know.

Added a video called "Tod's Thunderbirds".

https://youtu.be/mSyYFzmXYks

Last edited by Tod; 01-22-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
mschnell

Mostly great, but IMHO the slow attack and dull strings stick out as low quality vs the great sound of everything else.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Mostly great, but IMHO the slow attack and dull strings stick out as low quality vs the great sound of everything else.

-Michael
Thanks a lot Michael, I know you're right about this, another friend says the same thing. I'm going to have to use some other samples. My old ears don't hear much above 3khz, so I don't hear so well.

What I used were all Native Instrments strings, Essential strings and Session Strings Pro. It's disappointing that the aren't working, I goth them with Komplete Ultimate 11, the strings were one of the main reasons I got it.

You might get a PM if I get some other strings working.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Dyl

At 28 seconds that Hank Marvin guitar sound gets swamped by the strings. I like the guitar better.
Towards the end the lead guitar is also swallowed up by the strings.

Great nod to the classic Spaghetti Western style of electric guitar. Big thumps up for that.

Can you do some automated expression on the strings in Kontact? That might make them a bit more lively.
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
At 28 seconds that Hank Marvin guitar sound gets swamped by the strings. I like the guitar better.
Towards the end the lead guitar is also swallowed up by the strings.

Great nod to the classic Spaghetti Western style of electric guitar. Big thumps up for that.

Can you do some automated expression on the strings in Kontact? That might make them a bit more lively.
Thanks Dyl, I think you've made some very good suggestions.

I've got regular midi automation on each of the Strings (Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, and Cello).
Then I've got a VCA on the overall strings, so correcting them will be relatively easy.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Tod

I've updated the mix in the 1st post..

Let me know what you think now.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
mschnell

Much better.
But still I would like a string articulation a with more attack (i.e. less Melotron alike) better.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-31-2019 at 11:05 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Much better.
But still I would like a string articulation a with more attack (i.e. less Melotron alike) better.

-Michael
Thanks again Michael, when you say attack, are you talking about the string runs?

Other then the string runs it's all pretty much all legato.

It's hard to make string runs with most libraries, at least the ones I can afford. I actually tried to put a script I wrote that adds attack into an empty slot, but NI had it blocked.

I do have the EWQLSO Gold Library, and that one I can do all the scripting on that I want. However, it's and old library and I'm not sure it would sound any better.

The orchestra libraries I'd like to have are a little out of my range.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Much better.

-Michael
With Kontak strings I always end up sweeping the "Sound" knob around until I can hear the scrape and air from the bow. Same with Kontakt brass. I think of I am the Walrus strings and then sweep the Sound control around until I hear a similar sound.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #10
Dyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks Dyl, I think you've made some very good suggestions.

I've got regular midi automation on each of the Strings (Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, and Cello).
Then I've got a VCA on the overall strings, so correcting them will be relatively easy.
Brilliant, the VCA thing I hadn't thought of. That would be useful for me too.
I'm messing about with Orchestral light music in the style of 1940s-70s BBC broadcasts.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Brilliant, the VCA thing I hadn't thought of. That would be useful for me too.
I'm messing about with Orchestral light music in the style of 1940s-70s BBC broadcasts.
Thanks Dyl, so the strings sound okay to you now?

I'm not sure what "style of 1940s-70s BBC broadcasts" is like but I'm anxious to hear what you come up with.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:18 AM   #12
Dyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks Dyl, so the strings sound okay to you now?

I'm not sure what "style of 1940s-70s BBC broadcasts" is like but I'm anxious to hear what you come up with.
Ha, I was just thinking I should pot something. I only have sketches at present because I have literally just figured out this stuff this week. I will try and push up my latest sketch and post a link.
Have to dust off my old Soundcloud account.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
Dyl

Just listened to the update and I think it's a vast improvement.
There was still something I wasn't liking so I rummaged through the online manual for that orchestral library EWQLSO because of the stuff I'm doing currently reminds me of your sound...

felt like you've improved the entry of the strings but across the time period they play they sound pretty static.
You may already be automating these things so I apologise if you are doing so. If you are then I think it's just more of what you are doing. If not then you will be able to make them sound more realistic for sure.

So, I'm talking about separating the volume automation and expression automation.
According to the manual its midi controllers CC11 and CC7. The expression should be like a slight volume increase but the timbre should change to give, well, more expression as opposed to a straight volume hike.
I'm using Miroslav Philharmonic, which is definitely at the lower end of the price scale, and it sounds significantly better when adding in the expression automation. Combining this with velocity levels makes a huge difference.

Hopefully this will help. I'm going on about it a bit because the "expression" alone has just rescued my orchestral ambitions. Everything sounded dull and static until I started automating this.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #14
DrGed

I think it's really good. Well done!
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGed View Post
I think it's really good. Well done!
Thank you DrGed, for the kind words.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #16
Tod

In case nobody noticed, I did end up with Version 8 which you can find in the first post.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #17
Dimaension X

Well, I like the latest version - production aside (which at this point I think is pretty darn good!), you've composed a cool piece of music that I'd be humming as I'm leaving the theater if this was the soundtrack for a modern western.

That's MY big weakness ... writing catchy tunes that people will remember. I like it a lot.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
Well, I like the latest version - production aside (which at this point I think is pretty darn good!), you've composed a cool piece of music that I'd be humming as I'm leaving the theater if this was the soundtrack for a modern western.

That's MY big weakness ... writing catchy tunes that people will remember. I like it a lot.
Thanks much Dimaension, your kind words mean a lot.