Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Cableaddict
Human being with feelings

Default Who's running 64 bit?

I really haven't needed to worry about this, as my biggest sessions tend to only pull 25% from my overclocked 980X. (Running Win7-64, 6 GB of ram.)

A year ago, the common wisdom here was to stay 32-bit, and bridge only those plugins that were not available in x86. The difference in cpu hit seemed minimal, and Reaper bridges really well. Still, I guess at SOME point we will all be switching to Reaper x64. I know many folks already have.

Do the x64 benefits currently outweigh the possible negatives?

How many of you are running Reaper x64, and why?

(if this has recently been discussed already, then just point me to the thread. I searched but couldn't find anything too current.)

thanks.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
simpic

Im also interested to see what the response to this question is as im in a similar situation.
simpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Mercado_Negro

I've been using REAPER 64bit for over 2 years now. I switched because REAPER 32bit had problems with high RAM load (over 2GB), and I use Nebula, which uses tons of RAM, a lot.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I've been using REAPER 64bit for over 2 years now. I switched because REAPER 32bit had problems with high RAM load (over 2GB), and I use Nebula, which uses tons of RAM, a lot.
MN, can you describe these problem, in detail?

I wonder if that's the issue with my current problems: Every once in a while, either Reaper or Traktor (rarely both) crashes and I get a horribly loud, high-pitched whine out of my speakers.
I had suspected bad ram, but a 24 hr ram test was negative.

I do run 2 separate instances of Kontakt, and under XP32 I used to have to use all the tricks to get by, but things seemed much better under Win7-64, with 6 GB of ram.

It's my understanding that under Win7-64, each PROCESS can use up to 2 GB, and don't the plugins run as a separate process from both Reaper and the main OS? (Hmm, maybe I should enable "run plugins as separate processes" ???) Task manager never shows more than 2.5 GB used by "Reaper" total. Is it possible (with Reaper x86) to get occasional ram-use peaks, so sever as to cause a crash?
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
MN, can you describe these problem, in detail?
I just had BSOD's as soon as I hit 2GB back in my XP days so I jumped to Win7 64bit and started using REAPER 64bit as well. I kept a REAPER 32bit installation in my system because REAPER 64bit didn't play nice with video stuff so I did all my work for video there. Last year Cockos fixed some of those video problems in REAPER 64bit and I stopped using REAPER 32bit completely. About 2 or 3 months ago I started using REAPER 32bit again for smaller projects, just to avoid the bridging of some Waves plug-ins (they work flawlessly with the bridge but since I used them a lot I hated the floating windows all over the place... and I don't like to embed the UI because that could be problematic with some plug-ins). Anyways, it started happening again: as soon as I hit 2GB, boom, BSOD... I think it was my HDD because it died on me two weeks ago (maybe the pagefile was corrupted or something). The good news is REAPER 32bit isn't causing BSOD's anymore here under Win7 64bit after hitting 2GB so I guess it was just my bad luck.

Quote:
It's my understanding that under Win7-64, each PROCESS can use up to 2 GB, and don't the plugins run as a separate process from both Reaper and the main OS? (Hmm, maybe I should enable "run plugins as separate processes" ???) Task manager never shows more than 2.5 GB used by "Reaper" total. Is it possible (with Reaper x86) to get occasional ram-use peaks, so sever as to cause a crash?
No, each process in Win7 64bit can use way more than 2GB. That was just the case under 32bit. In REAPER 32bit you can run 64bit plug-ins in their own process or viceversa (run 32bit plug-ins in REAPER 64bit in their process). This will depend on your needs. For example, by default, in REAPER 64bit, all 32bit plug-ins are run in a common process but you can make specific plug-ins to run in dedicated processes (some people do this with Bootsy plug-ins because they are problematic). My suggestions:

If you're running REAPER 32bit: run RAM hogs or problematic plug-ins in dedicated processes

If you're running REAPER 64bit: run problematic plug-ins in dedicated processes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
pattste

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit but I'm still running Reaper 32-bit. When I started my current project back in May of last year, I tried running Reaper 64-bit but my 16-bit reverb plugin (WizooVerb W2) did not run well at all when bridged so I switched to Reaper 16-bit. All of my plugins except Wizoo are available in VST 64-bit so as soon as I'm done with my current project, I'm switching to a different reverb and Reaper 64-bit. I only do audio, no midi, so there's no urgency but I'd like to run the 64-bit version because I can :-)
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
brainwreck

I'll be making the switch in about a week, and I'm dreading dealing with compatibility issues. My interface will have slightly lower latency (ugggh) since M-Audio disabled high performance mode for 64 bit. I'm wondering how Reason 5 plays with Reaper on 64 bit Windows.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Mod Bod

I'm running Reaper x64. I was running in 64 bit prior to Reaper when I was using SONAR. I mainly went 64 bit because I was bumping RAM limitations with Superior Drummer 2.0. Some of the kits are huge if you load all of the articulations and bleeds.

http://www.gatortraks.com
Mod Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Antonov_Mike

Default Reaper415_x64

"How many of you are running Reaper x64" = 6 months. Now I still use use reaper415_x64.
"why?" - all of the RAM.
Note unpleasant moment: Some 32-bit plug-ins cause crash the program. Sometimes. Not very often. This is sad. I hope this is fixed in the latest version of Reaper - 4151_x64.
Antonov_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Win Conway

Depending on what plugins you are using 64bit can be great, luckily we have had the ability to run two entirely separate setups here, one 64 bit and one still running 32 bit.

Some guidelines that we have garnered from this experience

1 Only use 64 bit if your most used plugins are available in 64 bit (Bridging can work fine but you "WILL" get crashes no matter what anybody tells you, plus on big projects where there are lots of bridged plugins, the bridging CPU does build up quite heavily)

2 Quite a lot of 32 bit only plugins will crash Reapers bridge, so sort through your plugins and bomb test them before doing anything serious.

3 If you have 6 gig of RAM or below then XP 32 running 4 gig will out perform Win 7 64 running 6 gig (We have tested and confirmed this many times now, for some reason Win 7 64 is a bit of a RAM guzzler even with services switched off)

4 1 to 1 performance is nearly impossible to compare because the performance is so similar between 32 bit and 64 bit systems, that is unless you are using RAM heavy plugins (Samplers/Romplers/Convolution based effects like Nebula) so there is zero benefit outside using these types of plugins in moving to 64 bit.

64 bit is very obviously the future ahead of us, however there simply is no rush unless you need the extra RAM for the types of plugins mentioned, if you do then think about moving to 64, if you don't then don't be in a rush to move to 64
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
gkurtenbach

I'm running 64bits.

Why? The biggest reason is that some of my projects were getting pretty big and I needed to use more RAM.

And, sooner or later you have to leave 32bits behind.

Enough of my favorite plugins were x64 to make the jump. 99% of the time I can run projects without needing any 32bit plugins and bridging.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
dea-man

Default The 64 bit (dollar) question.......

Do you 64 bit-ers have any problems bridging the 32-bit plugins on you 64-bit Reaper?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Kainer

no problems here, ....only one extra window opens up. annoying but no real problem.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
....only one extra window opens up. annoying but no real problem.
To get rid of that extra window... right-click the VST (in the fx browser), select 'run as', then embed GUI...

no more little window!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Kainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
To get rid of that extra window... right-click the VST (in the fx browser), select 'run as', then embed GUI...

no more little window!

Thank you Bluzkat!

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
DigiDis

Quote:

no more little window!

Bluzkat, YOU DA' MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I am running x64 and no problems. I often run Omnisphere, Trilian and Superior Drummer together and Ram goes above 4gig.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Romualdo

Quote:

no more little window!

Thank you!
Romualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Geo524

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Do you 64 bit-ers have any problems bridging the 32-bit plugins on you 64-bit Reaper?
No problems at all here.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
dea-man

Default If I understand correctly......

.....one can install both versions of Reaper on the same machine.

Will all my projects open correctly?

Can I experiment with 64-bit until I am ready to take the plunge and ditch 32-bit?

Last edited by dea-man; 01-30-2012 at 09:56 AM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
Geo524

Quote:
.....one can install both versions of Reaper on the same machine.
Yes

Quote:
Will all my projects open correctly?
Yes

Quote:
Can I experiment with 64-bit until I am reading to take the plunge and ditch 32-bit?
You can keep both versions. No need to get rid of the 32 bit version. Reaper leaves a very small footprint so why not keep both?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
How many of you are running Reaper x64, and why?
Running it on Win 7 64-bit. Not had any problems at all and I use 32-bit plugins routinely.

Why I'm running Reaper x64? I was led to believe 64-bit was the future of the OS and I wanted to use more RAM.
As it turned out, Win 7 is not the panacea I was told it was but 64-bit audio processing is far more accurate and powerful than 32-bit.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
bitterkitten

Been running Reaper 64 bit since I got Reaper, for about 8 months, on win7 64 bit. Haven't had any issues with 32 bit plugs for the most part; in general, my biggest problem was/still is always plugs that are giant CPU hogs - even if I have a fast processor and a bunch o 'ram. Otherwise, works great.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
superhawk

Win7, Reaper, 64-bit. No probs.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Solar

Just tried lately to use Reaperx64 bit under my System that is running Win 7 x64 bit as well after using Reaper x32 bit (stable like hell of course) and decided to jump give Reaper x64 bit a try and see how the project will handle and how working in x64 bit would come and take big advantage of my RAM system and tkae off the heavy loads that sometimes when you're running x32 bit software can experience and at the beginning it felt nice but when I start playing back etc.. i started noticing "lag time" when I hit play and when I hit stop always that kind of delay lag, like when I hit PLAY, there is a little few (long second) before reaper starts playing etc..

Thats what brought me to start this thread here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95849

And long story short, I went back and Disable many Services (because I noticed that when I start my computer alone without opening any software, there was 2.50 gig of ram that where used and thats not really normal)and after disabling many services to start at Windows start, now I have 1.5gig when Win is loaded. Which is acceptable.

And then I thought that would help Reaper x64 and my project and to my susrprise when I loaded the Project under reaper x64, it was worst the "lag"time.

Guess what? I went and load up the same project back to Reaper x32 bit and was working FLAWLESS, without any problem no lag nada and on top of that I was able to ago and ADD UP more plugins to finish my project MIX. and Its a heavy project as you can see in the Performance Screenshot there. I have quite a number of plugins load up!!

Thats my experience with first try working with x64 bit DAW in a very big project and "deception" but I want to investigate more because it shouldn't be this way right?

Voila
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
when I loaded the Project under reaper x64, it was worst the "lag"time.
Voila
That's not normal. I guess it can be some plugin fault. I never noticed that behaviour on my side. I would reccomend to open faulty project with FX offline, check if lag persists. If not - enable FX, track after track. Soon you will find the villain.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #26
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
That's not normal. I guess it can be some plugin fault. I never noticed that behaviour on my side. I would reccomend to open faulty project with FX offline, check if lag persists. If not - enable FX, track after track. Soon you will find the villain.
Thanx @dr_After for that suggestion, I will indeed try this as part of my #FBI investigation to catch the vilain there.

How Do I start open the project with FX offline again in Reaper? There is a Hot key for that right?

Thanx again for that suggestion and I will finish the project under Reaper x32 bit and investigate in 64 bit with the same project as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
kgarello

Win 7 64bit

I run an older 4600 amd with 4GB ram.

I find that I consistantly have problems with Bootsy's 32 bit plugins.
kind of a bummer, cause I really like the density plugin.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
norbury brook

I've not used anything other than the x64 reaper version for 2 years now.I also use Cubase x64 as my main DAW as well.

MC
Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Win 7 64bit

I run an older 4600 amd with 4GB ram.

I find that I consistantly have problems with Bootsy's 32 bit plugins.
kind of a bummer, cause I really like the density plugin.
What trouble are you experiencing? His plugins are excellent - I use them all the time. Hope its not a general issue...
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
kgarello

Scratches and pops - like i am cpu bound. I've tried all variations of seperate process and such.

I probably should just run 32bit as I don't have more than 4GB, but I'm stubborn - running 64bit OS - should be able to run 64 bit program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
What trouble are you experiencing? His plugins are excellent - I use them all the time. Hope its not a general issue...
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
lxm

64 bit is the now and future. no reason to stay 32 bit. few plugins sill remain at 32. soundtoys and wave$ will be 64 in a couple months.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote