Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings
 
PitchSlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,241
Default Incorrect playrate calculation with imported media (embedded tempo?)

So I've noticed a bug importing media items.

It might have to do with the recently introduced options to time-stretch based on embedded tempo info, but I tried turning off the options I thought were relevant.

As the LICEcap shows the Media Explorer is playing the item at a sensible playrate that works with the project tempo and is almost the items regular playrate, but when it's inserted into the project the playrate is halved (it's the same when dragged from the waveform preview as well).

The expected behaviour is that the playrate would both match the Media Explorer and use a matching value that keeps the item the least altered.


My guess is Reaper is assuming an incorrect number of bars as there was a similar issue when calculating project tempo from time selection.
Changing "measure beats" in the items playrate:set setting fixes the issue, but the Reaper should assume the correct number like the Media Explorer does.

I've also had another issue where imported tempo-matched selections will be slightly less than the expected 2 or 4 bars. I haven't had a chance to use Reaper much since late 5.x so don't know when these issues were introduced.
__________________
FRs: v5 Media Explorer Requests, Global Quantization, Session View
Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reaper 6(x64), AMD 3950x, Aorus X570 Master, 64GB DDR4 3600, PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT, EVO 970 2TB, 10TB HD, Define R6

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-10-2020 at 02:38 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings
 
PitchSlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,241
Default Bump

*Update* Strangely with the same steps that reliably showed the issue yesterday, it now works as expected so it may not be so easy to figure out.

Here's some exact steps to reproduce the issue with an example wave file.

1) Start a new project with a BPM of 80.

2) In the Media Explorer with Tempo Match on browse to the file below and preview:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YD...4AC0giSIln0ezM

3) The playrate should say 1.455.

4) Insert the file into the project by dragging or with an action.

5) The playrate will now be half what it just was. 0.727.

The expected behavior is the inserted item always matches the preview.


How to fix it:
-Click "Set" beside the playrate display in the item properties.
-Change "Measure Beats" from 8 to 4.

This doesn't always happen, but it happens often and is definitely a new issue as I'd never encountered until recently. Maybe a bug with embedded or implied tempo information?

The other issue mentioned in the original post seems similar as an imported item may have a "Measure Beats" setting of 0.2.2 etc, when the Media Explorer was tempo-matching at 0.2 etc.

**EDIT**
If I drag the file from Windows Explorer Reaper asks if I want to use the tempo suggested by the filename, choosing yes gives the same result as inserting from the Media Explorer. What could be happening is that when the file is inserted from the Media Explorer Reaper acts as if I'd agreed to that (even though the setting is turned off). The media import settings for embedded tempo say the Media Explorer overrides, but perhaps in some instances it doesn't?

The detect tempo from time selection had a similar problem, it always assumed the wrong number of bars. In my experience 4 bar loops are most common, but Reaper assumes 8, which halves the playrate.

Maybe here?
+ Media items: add preference to set imported media items with embedded tempo to auto-stretch at project tempo changes
+ Media items: support calculating playback rate from user-supplied tempo or length in beats
__________________
FRs: v5 Media Explorer Requests, Global Quantization, Session View
Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reaper 6(x64), AMD 3950x, Aorus X570 Master, 64GB DDR4 3600, PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT, EVO 970 2TB, 10TB HD, Define R6

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-06-2020 at 05:29 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.