Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-14-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
babacane
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 6.02 crash - Midi routing

Hello,
Since 2 weeks Reaper is crashing. I have the problem opening a single track and routing midi output thru a RME babyface to control a SY99. The problem appears when living reaper inactive for some time. It begun with no reponse when playing the master keyboard and cannot be resolved (impossible closing reaper - pc frozen). My pc is quite new so I'm sure there is no issue there.
Thanks for your help!
Additional information: I have the problem when only 1 MIDI track is open. Apparently if another track containing a VST is open at the same time the system is working fine. The problem is still there with reaper 6.03

Last edited by babacane; 01-27-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding information
babacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
babacane

Default Reaper 6.02 crash - Midi routing

No answer. Just want to add that I'm using a Dell XPS 15. Maybe there is something wrong here...
Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
averystemmler

I believe I've encountered this, or a similar issue, a few times after leaving a session unattended for 10 or so minutes. It doesn't appear to happen repeatably for me, but I haven't troubleshooted thoroughly.

When I've noticed it, it's been with large-ish (several hundred tracks) projects. No midi tracks are routed to external hardware, but there are plenty of kontakt and Vienna Ensemble Pro instances. The project appears to perform just fine with plenty of headroom otherwise.
averystemmler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
babacane

Thanks for your reply!
I have tried everything and found the following.
Reaper is not crashing when at least 1 VST is enable.
Reaper alone (without anything on it) is creashing if left alone for some time. The same is occuring with projects without VST (only wav files for example).
Very strange and annoying.
Ciao
Old 03-26-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
babacane

Default Reaper 6.02 crash - Midi routing - Resolved

I finally found out what was the problem. It is not Reaper but the Dell XPS 15 9570. According to some forums, it is probably a dell bios bug (Dell shame on you!). Modern standby is not functioning properly due to a c state bug. There is maybe also an issue within windows but it is unsure. To resolve the issue I have done the following:
1- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
2- Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power.
3- Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.
You will have also to choose the Windows balanced energy profile on your pc not the Dell one.
Issue is resolved, Reaper is now stable. In addition the pc is much faster. Just to give you an example, I can now run Kaivo or Diva (in divine mode) at 192 khz/24bit without problem while cracking were present after 64 kHz before.
i have done the change weeks ago so can say the problem is really resolved.