Old 01-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
DONNY
Human being with feelings

Default Would reamote work for my use?

I've been pretty intrested In using universal audio's plug INS live while monitoring the input signal. I've also been experimentin with software monitoring using Native Plug INS. Not surprised to get latency.Im achieving 3 mseconds of latency at higher sampling rates Using my interfaces own driver whereas with Asio4all I can get down to about 0.7 somewhat reliably. This is fairly low But still enough to notice it when monitoring in real time. One of the insert effects that I'm using is a waves plugin that introduces 64 ms, the other is a zero latency plugin.

I've been entertaining the idea of using my spare computer to offload VST effects as wellas routing the signal back into the master computer. Would I get additional latency by doing it this way monitering live? I'm interested in using reamote to accomplish this but I've never used it before.

I'm using an apollo twin on Windows 10.

Last edited by DONNY; 01-17-2020 at 06:19 AM.
DONNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
EpicSounds

reamote will add even more delay
Old 01-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
DONNY

I kinda figured that. Is that just the nature of the technology or is just a reamote thing? I've been looking at vienna ensemble pro for this as well
Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNY View Post
Im achieving 3 mseconds of latency at higher sampling rates Using my interfaces own driver whereas with Asio4all I can get down to about 0.7 somewhat reliably. This is fairly low But still enough to notice it when monitoring in real time.
these numbers must be wrong - 3ms latency is pretty much as low as you can get - 0.7 is pretty much impossible, especially with ASIO4all.

and i assume you mean 64 samples latency for the plugin?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNY View Post
I kinda figured that. Is that just the nature of the technology or is just a reamote thing? I've been looking at vienna ensemble pro for this as well
you are basically making the signal chain longer, so naturally it's gonna introduce more latency - the audio is having to travel from one computer to the other and back again before you can monitor it.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
DONNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
these numbers must be wrong - 3ms latency is pretty much as low as you can get - 0.7 is pretty much impossible, especially with ASIO4all.

and i assume you mean 64 samples latency for the plugin?
Yep was getting 0.7 at higher sampling rates with asio4all with my apollo twin USB mostly at 176khz and 192khz but it was a little but unstable. Now I'm at 3ms using the UAD driver. I'll just have to forgo this idea for now. Asio4all doesnt even work any more for some weird reason

Could I potentially get even lower latency with a thunderbolt interface or PCIE card?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
domzy

i think your problem probably lies with the external plugins adding latency and i don't think your interface or it's method of connection is going to have any fix for that.
I'm not qualified to comment on the USB vs PCIe debate, but my understanding is that you will potentially have lower latency with PCIe or Thunderbolt, but at such low latencies already, the difference if any must be marginal?