Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
zaxmalloy
Human being with feelings

Default Setting Up External Hardware

I am having a very difficult time setting up external hardware in Reaper for Mac OSX. I'm not sure that the problem is Reaper or something I'm missing perhaps in OSX Audio/Midi Set-up.

In either case I can't seem to get the routing accurate and have yet to be able to route MIDI to an instrument through Reaper.

The two MIDI instruments are from different eras - one is a Waldorf MicroQ module and the other a Moog SubPhatty. I use a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile interface to a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. I use two controllers, an Axiom Pro 49 (which Reaper "sees") and a Korg PadKontrol (for some reason Reaper does not see the PK...but I haven't had time to investigate tat level of problem yet).

I can get it all to work in Logic but that has 'the environment'...and I'm anxious to leave Logic since it crashes (and/or crashes the PreSonus)often.

Any advice?
zaxmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
DarkStar

Let's start with the Axiom:
-- is it listed in Reaper's Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices?
-- is it enabled for input AND for Control?
-- can you select it (then sub-menu "All channels) when you right-click the track RecArm button and select "Input MIDI"?
-- have you checked that "Input Monitoring" is on?

OK
Now, when you play the Axiom you should see a small red square or line appear in the track meter. If so, then the MIDI is getting to the track.

Now for one of the instruments:
-- is it listed in Reaper's Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices?
-- is it enabled for output?
-- can you select it when you click the track's [io] button and look at the MIDI Hardware Output drop-down menu?

OK
Now, when you play the Axiom you should see a small red square or line appear in the track meter. And you should hear some sound from the instrument.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
zaxmalloy

Okay...thanks Dark Star...I ran through this and I'm not making much progress...so let me illustrate...because I must not be seeing something pretty obvious.

Here is my ASM screen

Nothing spectacular...now...

The Axiom does show up in preferences with several options and has always played AU/VST instruments flawlessly. But following your instructions, I cannot get it, nor even the virtual keyboard to send midi to a track...picture below

The MicroQ does not show up in preferences: it is connected to the midi syste through the SPDIF breakout cable on the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. THe Moog does show up...but can't get anything routed to it

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
James HE

I can't tell in the screenshot, but do you have "monitoring" enabled in the track?

*The imperial theme is awesome and all, but I think it's probably best to learn REAPER using the default theme.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
zaxmalloy

Okay, I changed to the default theme. Not as cool but yes, also not as potentially confusing for a newbie. Once I did, playing around with the controls, I got the MicroQ to work though it still doesn't show up. In ASM, I connected the Firestudio Mobile to the MicroQ.

Anyway the Reaper track looks something looks like this...there must be more to the set up process...nice to get notes and all but I'll want to send patch changes, etc. and I'll figure out how to rout the audio in to the mix...but anyway...at least I can hear and play it.

Now the Moog will not play....ironic as in a couple of DAWs I've used it in, the set up has been a snap. I don't appear to be doing anything out of the ordinary, but here's a screenshot of the track in case someone can point me in the right direction,,,,

Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
DarkStar

Forget, the instruments for the moment.

Can you confirm that you can Record MIDI from the Axiom into Reaper?

If so, open the recorded MIDI clip in the MIDI Editor, switch to "View Mode: Event List" and check what MIDI channels the notes are on.

Add ReaSynth to the track, turn down the track volume and plat it. Just to check that some audio can be produced. Then remove ReaSynth.

----------------------
If all OK so far, so we can press onto the instruments.
- the MicroQ may not show up be name as it is routed through the FireStudio, so it probably appears under a FireStudio MIDI device name,
- is the Moog set to receive MIDI on the MIDI channels of the notes?
-- that routing from the track looks OK to me,

At some stage, I would set an Alias for each device name in the Preferences, it later on, for clarity. Have a look at 1.15 in the User Guide.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
zaxmalloy

Looks like cycling the power on and off in the Moog for whatever reason caused it to finally take.
Also if someone in the future is reading this, the Axiom Hyper Control input did not seem to work and wish I could tell you why but can't at the moment. Changing the MIDI input to Axiom USB A seemed to make a difference.

So, I can at least hear the MicroQ (FOur tracks) and the Moog of now and the MIDI communication is working from the Axiom. Now just have to figure out the padKontrol but I'll be able to nail it. [Actually nailed it about thirty minutes after I wrote this...padKontrol needed to have "Port A" enabled in Midi preferences]

Dark Star I'll take a look at the manual - want to be able to have an alias at least, though I really want to be able to do program changes and the lot...but I'll look at the manual and go from there. Thanks for your help.

Thanks also James...think your advise about White Tie was important...think my input monitoring wasn't set up correctly and that was a lot more obvious in the Default skin. I'll keep things in default mode for the time being.

I've tried to get into Reaper once or twice previously and have always felt lost in a maze... frustrated...but this time I'm sensing I'll be able to break through - thanks for your help gents...

Last edited by zaxmalloy; 07-13-2013 at 08:42 PM.