Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #81
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Hey Xenakios, is there any way you can get ReaBin to replace 'takes' as opposed to items?

By which I mean, instead of deleting the item and pasting in the new one (which we'd still need anyway), it deletes the active take, and pastes the new one in as a new take...so you could replace take3 for instance, and take1 and take2 still are there underneath, non-active.

Oh, and take all the time you need to code V1.x, I hope I'm not bugging you too much ...it's just a great program!
Yeah, beatbybit already asked for this. It isn't super-complicated really...Thank Justin for how nicely the data in Reaper is organized! This is just something I don't want to mess around with this codebase anymore...

edit : actually, the replace take/item-feature isn't working for 100% satisfaction in any case...This is something that would require some more tighter interaction between Reaper and ReaBIN. I hope that Justin might help here a little bit by adding some more Windows Messages support in Reaper...I'm sure such support would be helpful also for other developers potentially making their apps integrate with Reaper.

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-24-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #82
Xenakios

Just a little update on ReaBIN. I've started coding the 0.1.x-series a few hours ago. Not looking too bad, at least not yet... I can already capture Reaper items, store them and paste them back. It's gonna take some time before this is as functional as the 0.0.x-series, but this hopefully will be worth it...

edit : here's a little taste of what might be coming :

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #83
griz lee

What a tease. I'm looking forwards to that one!

This is wonderful.

My only tiny FR really is going to be:

'please can we playback from the bin ?'. This would help trying to remember what the hell was in a really big bin list on restarting a project.

When I used to use alishad, it was great being able to audition stuff with cmd-t from the 'bin' before dragging it to the session. I kinda miss that.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #84
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
What a tease. I'm looking forwards to that one!

This is wonderful.

My only tiny FR really is going to be:

'please can we playback from the bin ?'. This would help trying to remember what the hell was in a really big bin list on restarting a project.

When I used to use alishad, it was great being able to audition stuff with cmd-t from the 'bin' before dragging it to the session. I kinda miss that.
Ok, I'll keep in mind the need for audio preview. It's gonna be a bit lame if it happens without all the item processing Reaper is capable of (and wouldn't support all the same media formats as Reaper does ) , but I guess still better than nothing, for starters.

edit : I'm going to take a little break from developing ReaBIN. I should really look into making some music for change etc...

For Bevoss, I'll see if I can sort out the Lotto-random paste for 0.0.9c...

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-25-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #85
SamuliK

bump for gr8 justice

Trying to get Justin's attention. Would be great if Reaper was a more friendly environment for 3rd party extensions like this one.
SamuliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #86
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Ok, I'll keep in mind the need for audio preview. It's gonna be a bit lame if it happens without all the item processing Reaper is capable of (and wouldn't support all the same media formats as Reaper does ) , but I guess still better than nothing, for starters.
I use Foobar2000 for this sort of searching and auditioning sounds to drag into Reaper. Because Foobar2000 does asio I can just use ReaRoute to get the audio auditioning through the intended track (or through a dedicated bus) in Reaper. It also allows drag and drop from the playlist into Reaper.

Xenakios, it's probably a crazy idea but maybe you could make your ReaBin a component of Foobar2000. By doing so you could make use of their already existing asio implementation as well as excellent searching and tagging features.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #87
Tallisman

hmmm... that would be very cool indeed!
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #88
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
hmmm... that would be very cool indeed!
.t
I guess it could be...But a bit too complicated for me. I don't know anything about making foobar2000-plugins etc...

Ideally, this whole "Bins"-thing would something for Justin/Christophe to get into. Or an adventurous 3rd party company capable of writing decent C++-code for integration into Reaper. (The integration stuff should be possible, there is an "extensions API" for Reaper, I've even got some source code from Justin, I just can't make anything out of it so easily... )
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #89
Bevosss

Quote:

For Bevoss, I'll see if I can sort out the Lotto-random paste for 0.0.9c...
Cool, I'm still checking in, in the hope you've cracked it
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #90
Xenakios

Ok, ReaBIN 0.0.9c available.

https://stash.reaper.fm/802/ReaBIN_0_0_9c.zip

This does not fix the bugs/inconsistencies relating to the the take-replace function, or any other problems, sorry! The only change should be that there is now the lotto-paste option available. (In the Quick Paste drop-down menu, called "Uses one shuffled take from selected...") Note the use of the word "should". New bugs or strangeness may have appeared, this version has not been tested extensively...

edit : Oh, crap...There's some bug with the lotto-random paste that made ReaBIN go into an infinite loop (no clean way to exit) as I was testing... Not fixed yet...I think the bug appears when a Bin-file is recalled while the Shuffled Random Paste-mode is active, and a shuffled random paste is then attempted. If it's just that, it should be simple enough to fix...

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-28-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #91
Bevosss

Default Oh yeah!!

Awesome, Xenakios! That works great...I created an adjacent track below the kick track that contains separate kick items (either pasted in, or split from a complete track using auto trim/split).

Then I made up an ahk shortcut to paste (with shuffle selected), set that to F9, then made up a macro that goes to the next transient in an adjacent track, and set that to F10. Then I could just walk through the track alternating F9 and F10 to paste completely randomly from the selected list, it worked perfect.

NB I did this with crossfading off so that some overlapped, then when finished made the track FIPM and auto-repositioned...cool!

Now, how about that right click 'replace selected takes in Reaper with shuffled random takes from selected in BIN'?

(J/K, when you're ready is fine by me...that is the automatic holy grail for an instant kick track replacement, so I'm just keeping it fresh in your mind!)

Here's the macro for anyone interested:

Just use Win-V instead of F9 to paste.

**Thanks yet again for a fine effort X!**
Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #92
Bevosss

Here's a pic of what you can do now in literally a few seconds to a kick and snare track (not for snare ghost notes obviously):

Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #93
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Here's a pic of what you can do now in literally a few seconds to a kick and snare track (not for snare ghost notes obviously):
Cool! I should try something like this...BTW, it's sooooo nice how Reaper handles showing and playing multiple sounds simultaneously on a single track...

I'll try to release a fix (0.0.9d) for the lotto-paste infinite loop soon (today, I hope)...I'm rather embarassed and annoyed such a thing slipped into the code, as it's a real killer with single-threaded GUI applications. (Well, I guess there could be some non-threaded solutions around the total lock-up, but I'll just try to fix the infinite loop from happening in the first place... )

As for the 0.1.x-series, I'm currently looking into user-customizable hotkeys for the different operations. Seems to go quite satisfyingly...
Old 03-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #94
Xenakios

Ok, finally news...Not so good ones for anyone wanting some new features or bugs fixed in ReaBIN, though.

I finally decided to take the leap into the frustrating world of C/C++. That should eventually be rather exciting, as that should allow total integration within Reaper for ReaBIN, as well as other goodies. I've today installed MS Visual Studio Express (oh, what a drag it was) and made some initial experiments. There seems to be huge potential in the REAPER plugin API for all sorts of things. But to really get anywhere, I will have to spend time (likely weeks) getting myself comfortable with the new programming language and environment, the REAPER API itself etc...

Be patient, something good should finally come out of this! Or Justin comes up with his own solution for the Bins thing himself...
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #95
grymmjack

wow that's cool!

reaper gives direct access to this stuff? how is this done? i'm a fair programmer myself and if i can get this kind of control out of reaper through some scripting language or runtime interpreter, holy cow! how did you implement this with reaper? was it using some kind of sdk or api call? if so where can i find out more information about it?

awesome
grymmjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #96
Art Evans
Mortal

Just head over to the developer forum at http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 where I am sure a very warm welcome will await you - the beers are just coming out of the fridge!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #97
Infidel

Default BUG

Hey all is working alright but i am getting a "Bad! Could not get item names" Error everytime i press copy from reaper, the files are improted but their name is replaced with an "X" why is this happening?
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #98
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Hey all is working alright but i am getting a "Bad! Could not get item names" Error everytime i press copy from reaper, the files are improted but their name is replaced with an "X" why is this happening?
Wow, what a topic resurrection!

You should not attempt to use that ReaBin thing any more...I haven't given it any consideration for several Reaper major versions!

Reaper now has its own Project Bay feature, which should be much better than that ancient attempt of mine. (If Reaper's own project bay isn't suitable, do you have some particular feature in mind that is missing?)
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #99
Infidel

Hey Xenakios thanks for replying.

Well it turned out that it does exactly what i need.

The project bay workflow is cool but it is very unhandy when it comes to pasting multiple files to multiple channels(vertically), i guess its either i am doing something wrong or thats where Reabin really shines
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #100
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Hey Xenakios thanks for replying.

Well it turned out that it does exactly what i need.

The project bay workflow is cool but it is very unhandy when it comes to pasting multiple files to multiple channels(vertically), i guess its either i am doing something wrong or thats where Reabin really shines
Well, there isn't really any hope of ReaBin getting any fixes, it was even done in another programming language which I haven't touched since 2008 or so...(And I will never touch Delphi again.)

It looks like in the Reaper Project Bay, multiple selected files or items have to be right-clicked to get the action "Insert into project". Then it will ask if the items should be inserted into one track or several tracks. Drag and dropping from the list seems to always insert into one track.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #101
Infidel

Ahh thats too bad

Yeah i know what you mean, but the problem with that is that if for example you perform this action with two grouped files in different channels it will automatically add a new one when you "paste" em where you want
Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #102
Infidel

Also the sad thing with Project Bay is that if you have a group of items and you select one of them from the bay the other ones dont get selected even with the "Selecting one group item selects group" option on
Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #103
fr6

Very much interested … on Mac OSX - Mountain, Mavericks, ++...
fr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #104
@non

multiple item clipboards are an obvious win

Quote:
Wow, what a topic resurrection!

You should not attempt to use that ReaBin thing any more., do you have some particular feature in mind that is missing?)
ie rec bass track cut out 4 good sections; paste any of them over the bad ones
{w/o glue, reload resourses, audition them w lag}
legal notice(07/2/14)- all posts are personal & ment for reaper.fm members; information collected/disseminated to 3rd partys is in violation of privacy laws;post such (here)Immediately so appropriate penality may be negotiated

Last edited by @non; 07-02-2014 at 12:35 PM.
@non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #105
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default r.i.p ReaBIN?

Just found this - wow! Anyone know any other DAW that allows something like this?!!

Love it.

what language is this in?

guessing development ended?
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #106
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringSynthesisingAlch View Post

what language is this in?

guessing development ended?
It was written in Delphi (which is/was Windows only). Development couldn't be more dead.

If you want similar features now, look into Reaper's built-in Project Bay, hopefully it offers whatever the ReaBin thing used to attempt to do.