Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
surasshu
Human being with feelings

Default "Add instrument on new track..." nitpicks

Okay this really bugs me, but I might be the only one. When you choose "Add instrument on new track...", you get a new track and an FX dialog, but it also automatically selects the "Instrument" subdirectory. This is erratic behavior because you can add a non-instrument just fine. So I continually forget this, and try to filter to find a reverb or a delay or something, and then it doesn't show up. So then I have to switch back to "All Plugins", which is just a pain.

Also, in my opinion it's not logical that when you add a new track in this way, it is included in subfolders. Would you ever want to have an instrument in a subfolder of another instrument? I think the cases where you don't want that greatly outnumber the cases where you do, and it often messes me up or causes bad downmixes for master.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
DarkStar

I can see what you mean, but that function was implemented to load a multitimbral instrument on a new track and automatically generate tracks for its audio outputs. So focussing on the Instruments section seems reasonable.

As for sub-folders - the function inserts the tracks below the currently-selected track, I think. If that is in a folder, then that is where the new track will go.

-----------------------
However, I can drag an instrument from the FX Browser
-- to an existing TCP, track or clip
-- to the empty area below the TCPs
-- but not to the empty area below the tracks

And I can drag an effect from the FX Browser
-- to an existing TCP, track or clip
-- but not to the empty area below the TCPs or below the tracks

Dragging in an FX to create a new track would be useful
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
surasshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I can see what you mean, but that function was implemented to load a multitimbral instrument on a new track and automatically generate tracks for its audio outputs. So focussing on the Instruments section seems reasonable.
Ooh I see. That's fair enough then. In that case, an alternative action that's equivalent to "Insert FX into new track [at the bottom]" would solve my grievances (note: I want to make a keyboard shortcut for this as I do not use my mouse if I can help it). Strangely, it seems like "Add FX to current track..." is not an Action, so I can't make a custom action where I create a new track at the bottom, then add an FX to it. At least I don't think I can? Maybe I'm missing something. I'm still a bit unskilled when it comes to Reaper, though I have tried to find a solution for this in the help files etc.

Quote:
As for sub-folders - the function inserts the tracks below the currently-selected track, I think. If that is in a folder, then that is where the new track will go.
Correct, but I think this is pretty irrational. It should go below the track on the highest level. (ie one below the folder you have a track selected in), rather than simply one below the current track, regardless of what the folder depth is. It's not a big deal since it's easily fixed, but it has caused me some temporary grief on many occasions. Although now that you explained what the idea of this command is, it makes a little more sense since I'm basically misusing it for my own needs.
Quote:
Dragging in an FX to create a new track would be useful
This is a good idea too, although I'd never use drag'n'drop for something like that.

Generally I feel like adding VSTs is still pretty cumbersome in Reaper, which is odd since that's what we (well, at least me) spend a lot of time doing.