Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
dsealer
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pa
Posts: 166
Default Impulse Responses

As I watched Kenny' s videos on Recording Your Band I saw the use of Impulse Responses for the first time. I liked how they worked and the options they may provide. However other than those that he used I'm wondering how to install others. I see there are loads of them on the internet but I'm not sure how to use them or install them.
Would someone be willing to provide some information on Impulse Responses and also how they are installed?
Thanks,
Don.....
__________________
Don.....
dsealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
toddhisattva
Human being with feelings
 
toddhisattva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 276
Default Wavy Filey Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsealer View Post
As I watched Kenny' s videos on Recording Your Band I saw the use of Impulse Responses for the first time. I liked how they worked and the options they may provide. However other than those that he used I'm wondering how to install others. I see there are loads of them on the internet but I'm not sure how to use them or install them.
Would someone be willing to provide some information on Impulse Responses and also how they are installed?
Thanks,
Don.....
They're just WAV or other audio files. I put mine in a directory called "Impulse Responses." You can use any such audio file as an IR.



You'll hear
1. The original bird flap sound I grabbed from YouTube
2. The quacky input sound
3. The quacky sound through ReaVerb that has the bird flap loaded *as an IR* ;-)
4. The bird flaps through ReaVerb. "Autoconvolution" I guess.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,033
Default

Using them is easy. You load on into a plugin & off you go.

The other questions get a bit more involved.
Impulse Response files, at their simplest, are just a Wav file that records the response of a room or a piece of gear when it is stimulated by a loud sudden sound (an impulse). This can be a gunshot, a clap, 2 boards being slapped together, or a short burst of pink noise.

In the case of a room, the echoes and reverb caused by the sound are recorded into the impulse response wav file.

Now you can apply the reverb and echo of that room to any sound by loading the IR file into a plugin (such as ReaVerb) and running the sound thru the plugin.

You can do this for any 'linear' process - reverb, echo, guitar speaker response, amplifier coloration, equalizers. It won't work on anything with distortion or compression, though since those are nonlinear.

They are installed like any other file - create a folder, put the file in it. Use the plugin to browse to the folder and load the IR file.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Bri1
Human being with feelings
 
Bri1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: England
Posts: 1,866
Default

Quote:
Using them is easy.
^Aye-and so is creating them using reaverb--i don't think anybody on net has covered this in a video yet ..>>??
It's simplez- create sweeping tone with the included generator(make sure sample rates and lengths are correct here)>> play impulse back through 'your speaker' at home,or recording zone..-- deconvolve that recording with the sine sweep and bingoboombap-- >your own impulses< =sweet.
Now,all 1 needs todo is creep in studio1 @abbey road,run your sweep,and your good-to-go. (quickly leg it)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Reason
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Using them is easy. You load on into a plugin & off you go.

The other questions get a bit more involved.
Impulse Response files, at their simplest, are just a Wav file that records the response of a room or a piece of gear when it is stimulated by a loud sudden sound (an impulse). This can be a gunshot, a clap, 2 boards being slapped together, or a short burst of pink noise.

In the case of a room, the echoes and reverb caused by the sound are recorded into the impulse response wav file.

Now you can apply the reverb and echo of that room to any sound by loading the IR file into a plugin (such as ReaVerb) and running the sound thru the plugin.

You can do this for any 'linear' process - reverb, echo, guitar speaker response, amplifier coloration, equalizers. It won't work on anything with distortion or compression, though since those are nonlinear.

They are installed like any other file - create a folder, put the file in it. Use the plugin to browse to the folder and load the IR file.
Would it be possible to apply an IR in a subtractive manner? I'm thinking of how nice it would be to digitally deaden a crappy-sounding room. Kind of like ReaFIR in subtract mode, but for reverb, not noise.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
dsealer
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pa
Posts: 166
Default

Just to make sure I understand. I load Reaverb in as an effect and then insert the IR? Are there any other effects that work the same way?

Thanks everyone,
Don.....
__________________
Don.....
dsealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,554
Default

I would say you insert ReaVerb as an effect and then load the impulse.

Some IR plugs might want you to put the impulse files somewhere specific, but ReaVerb let's you navigate to any wav file anywhere on your system. It makes sense to keep them in some logical central location, though.

And you really can use any wav file you want. (Is there a length/size limit???) Things can get really weird (and LOUD) quick, but it's worth a play just to see what happens.

Basically, ReaVerb just plays back the IR file over and over again for every input sample. The volume of that playback is determined by the level of that particular sample, but the IR file plays all the way through every time and they overlap and mix and interfere and that's what makes it work.

I've been having a lot of fun lately using different drum samples as IRs.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
DSmolken
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 18
Default

Yup, nothing very complicated. There are various kinds of IRs - rooms are the most common, for use in convolution reverbs, but there are also guitar cabinet IRs, microphone IRs etc.

For the reverb thing, grab the Samplicity IRs of a Bricasti M7 - they're IRs of a very, very expensive hardware reverb unit. Very nice.
__________________
Karoryfer Samples developer, now with Swirly Drums
DSmolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Would it be possible to apply an IR in a subtractive manner? I'm thinking of how nice it would be to digitally deaden a crappy-sounding room. Kind of like ReaFIR in subtract mode, but for reverb, not noise.
I don't think so. But I don't know eeverything...
That would be a cool sort of wizardry.

Edit:
It's weird what you can find with a Google search. Check this link out.

http://azaleamusic.com/recording-tip...room-ambience/

Last edited by Philbo King; 03-13-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #10
Bri1
Human being with feelings
 
Bri1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: England
Posts: 1,866
Default

Quote:
Would it be possible to apply an IR in a subtractive manner? I'm thinking of how nice it would be to digitally deaden a crappy-sounding room.
^In theory--yes totally--in practice not really-- impulses once captured are static prints much like a photograph or any 'sample' --a room is a constantly evolving space,so trying to "deverb,or denoise" a typical room or recording zone just wont work 100% effectively by any 'normal' methods-- in a lab,that's a different thing--it's just basic cancellation.
A room is a recorder-- all objects with a surface can record also.
Some of ^these^ types of recordings can be extremely reavealing about any space,or even persons. w/e..
Thinking further-- which are better?----short impulses,or very long ones!!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.