CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Metheny
Human being with feelings

Default Getting disconnected from server

Hi,

When I try to connect to a server which already has users, I always get disconnected after a few (5-10) seconds, even if there is only one user there.

However, if I connect to a server which doesn't have any other users, and then other users join in, then I do not get disconnected. I had a successful session with 4 other users.

So why do I get disconnected when joining a non-empty server?
Metheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
pljones

Sounds like your IP connection can't keep up with the amount of data being received.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Metheny

Yes, but why does it only happen when I join an existing session, and not when others join my own session.
Also, I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but immediately unchecking all the users' "Receive" check box upon connection doesn't help (does it stop the server from sending me the user's data?)

Besides, it says:
"The NINJAM client requires a fair amount of CPU power, a moderate amount of inbound bandwidth (192kbps for a typical 4 person jam, 512kbps for an 8 person jam) and less outbound bandwidth (100kbps typical)."

I have a 5 mbps connection. According to the above, there shouldn't be any problem (and I'm talking about a 3 person session).

Last edited by Metheny; 08-27-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
pljones

Are you on wired or wireless to your internet connection?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Metheny

Wired.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
AndyMc

It could possibly be an Audio Problem, try a slightly different audio config, try wav in audio settings on NINJAM or REAPER which ever one you use.

See if it makes a difference, if it does then we can get a bit more info in helping you to fix it.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
Metheny

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I tried a few combinations in the audio settings (including WaveOut), but to no avail. Any other ideas?
Even if I uncheck the "transmit" check box, I get disconnected. This is really strange...
Is there a log or anyway to know what the cause is?
I'm running NINJAM after closing most applications, so that it can use as much available bandwidth & memory as possible.
However, the anti-virus (AVG) is still running. Should this pose a problem? Are there any known applications which may cause NINJAM problems?

By the way, I wonder why the number of participants in a jam affects the upload bandwidth demand, since in any case I'm only uploading my own recording. What am I missing here?

Last edited by Metheny; 08-28-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metheny View Post
By the way, I wonder why the number of participants in a jam affects the upload bandwidth demand, since in any case I'm only uploading my own recording. What am I missing here?
It doesn't -- "inbound" is "download", not "upload".

When you say you get disconnected after 5-10 seconds, is there any relationship with the interval length?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Metheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
It doesn't -- "inbound" is "download", not "upload".
This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjam (although Wikis may be wrong sometimes...):
"The bandwidth requirements are not trivial; outbound bandwidth is the major requirement. A 4 person session will require approximately 768kbps of outbound and 240kbps of inbound bandwidth. An 8 person session will require approximately 3mbps of outbound (and 600kbps inbound) bandwidth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
When you say you get disconnected after 5-10 seconds, is there any relationship with the interval length?
It's hard to tell, since it's not very consistent. The disconnection time can differ even in the case of successive connections on the same server with the same parameters (users, BPM, interval length, etc.).

Most of the time, I get to stay connected on the first interval (which is silent), and then on the second one I start to hear about 1-2 beats of music, then the music stops, and then after a short delay (a few beats) it disconnects.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
pljones

Quote:
although Wikis may be wrong sometimes...
Yes - I'd go with what the developers say that you quoted earlier from http://www.ninjam.com/download.php rather than Wiki, in this case.
Quote:
It's hard to tell, since it's not very consistent. The disconnection time can differ even in the case of successive connections on the same server with the same parameters (users, BPM, interval length, etc.).

Most of the time, I get to stay connected on the first interval (which is silent), and then on the second one I start to hear about 1-2 beats of music, then the music stops, and then after a short delay (a few beats) it disconnects.
It now sounds like a network buffering problem to me. Can you do a ping test between your host and the host you're trying to connect to. This will help assess the network latency. If it's too high (and it can vary a lot), you may get kicked. (There are probably better ways of testing for this...)
Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Metheny

I'm using test.ninjam.com (taken from the Ninjam jam farm page).
I don't get any reply when pinging this server (probably pinging is blocked by the server). Are there any other ways of testing the network latency?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
pljones

OK, how about a traceroute (tracert on windows)? (It starts failing around 204.11.106.90 for me, but that's close to test.ninjam.com [204.11.104.240] anyway). I get ~174ms.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Metheny

I get 250 ms for 204.11.106.90. Is that not good enough to use the server?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
pljones

Hmm. Not sure, really... It doesn't sound too bad: I know people from Oz and Japan use test.ninjam.com, and I'd expect them to have higher network latencies than that.

More random thoughts:
How much (free) RAM have you got? It might be that you can't allocate enough in one big chunk when joining a full-ish server whereas you can allocate it bit by bit... (I'm clutching at straws now...)
Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Metheny

I don't think that's the issue. I have 2 GB of RAM, and I closed every program before using NINJAM. :-\

Edit: Do you think debugging the client application will give me any more information?

Last edited by Metheny; 08-30-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
AndyMc

That is a pretty high Latency, but then your not transmitting and still have the prob.
When it counts the first interval does the line increase correctly?

Also I'll throw out some other possible issues, do you share your internet?
If so does the router have QOS, does it make a difference with this on or off?
Are you connected wireless to your internet?
Do some speed tests online, http://www.speedtest.net try some here, you can select different locations, but also google speedtest and try some others, see what you max up and down is.
If your on Wireless aim the antenna's on pc and router towards each other.
Turn off firewalls and test (don't forget to turn them back on).
Don't setup routes in the router firewall for NINJAM when using as client only.
Try possibly putting your computer temporarily on a DMZ with in your router if you are going through one. But this leaves you bare on the net and I only recommend trying for test purpose, if it turns out it's ok on a DMZ it helps point to where the problem lies then how and what to fix.
Take yourself off the DMZ once tested.

If all this isn't working then I can always do a remote session with you using teamviewer, this doesn't need installing, meaning you stop the software and it no longer can be networked with.

If ya need to get hold of me a bit quicker then try http://ninjamers.spruz.com
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
imispgh

I have this problem with Kaspersky. I had to set it to not scan anything to do with Reaper and load the NINJAM IPs for it to ignore as well.
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote