Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #81
synth
Human being with feelings

New screenshots from Puppy 4.2 RC1:

Say hello to the new weather widget

[img]http://img15.**************/img15/3987/jwmscr3.png[/img]
Improved and fixed window manager.Now comes with (optional) window composition/transparency for the lightweight desktop
Multiple cursor themes with a theme switcher.

Menu reworked to be EeePC (short screen) friendly.

WINE 1.1.16 is out:
* Fixed wineALSA sound regression (scratchiness/stutter)
* Fixed a few memory leaks

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 03-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #82
mrufino1

That puppy looks so good- I have been fooling with puppy on a usb stick and it works really fast and light, but I cannot figure out the wireless networking. The one thing that seems to be missing from the network connection wizard or pwireless is a button that says "connect" that connects to the network. I haven't really found any documentation for it. Do you know any links to tutorials? This would make my older machines run so well. I am using it usually on a t41, so the wireless is definitely detected, but it keeps configuring an IP address then doing nothing. I'm a little stuck there. I use linux mint as my main distro (moved from ubuntu last month, not a ton of difference).
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #83
synth

Quote:
The one thing that seems to be missing from the network connection wizard or pwireless is a button that says "connect" that connects to the network.

Quote:
Do you know any links to tutorials?
There's a nice tutorial here:
http://www.puppylinux.org/manuals/pu...onnection/wlan

If that method doesn't work for you,then you'll find the solution in the Puppy Wireless Networking forum:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=31

P.S. Linux Mint is nothing but a slower,bloated version of Ubuntu. Puppy 4.12 runs like a Ferrari on older hardware

Quote:
That puppy (4.2) looks so good
It's still in beta,getting all kinds of improvements every minute.
I'll post some updated screenshots later

4.2 is going to be a great release,but the real fun is just about to start with the ground-breaking Woof-based Puppy 5.0

Last edited by synth; 03-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #84
dellboy

I am posting this from the new Puppy build.I love the look of it and its pretty stable on my machine.It took me 30 minutes to be up and running with the latest Reaper build,and all in just over 120 megabytes !

Did I type that right ?

120 megabytes ?

I was running the Windows 7 beta on another partition,but we are talking over 15 gigabytes there,and what do you get for your lost HD space,not a lot that I really need,I hate bloat.

Love this Puppy.
dellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #85
mrufino1

Yes, I know that button is there but it was doing everything but connecting! I was using the "fat dog" iso, I have connected in the past with 4.12, so maybe something was weird there. And yes, I know mint is a bloated ubuntu, but I was having trouble getting DVD's to work on ubuntu no matter what I did, so I started using mint just because it is easy and right now I am too busy with other stuff to problem solve all day. I ebb and flow with my desire to "get under the hood." But I am going to make an effort to get puppy to work since a new computer is definitely not in my near future.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #86
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboy View Post
I am posting this from the new Puppy build.
Are you using the plain vanilla 4.12, the 4.2 beta or the multicore/multiprocessor FatDog derivative?

Quote:
It took me 30 minutes to be up and running with the latest Reaper build,and all in just over 120 megabytes !

Did I type that right ?

120 megabytes ?

I was running the Windows 7 beta on another partition,but we are talking over 15 gigabytes there,and what do you get for your lost HD space,not a lot that I really need,I hate bloat.

Love this Puppy.
120MB - is that the ISO size or the installed footprint (portable or full install)?

* 4.12 is the fastest and most stable version at the moment,but a bit old.You can be sure that everything 'just works'.

* 4.2 is gonna rock when it's released.The beta might work well for you but not for others. It's still beta quality (buggy) and runs slightly slower because of those issues.
It's better to wait for the final release and watch this thread for the latest news/screenshots.
Besides the standard version, there will be a 'retro' variant for junk hardware and a SMP/multicore variant with a cutting-edge kernel for modern machines.

Last edited by synth; 03-08-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #87
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
Yes, I know that button is there but it was doing everything but connecting! I was using the "fat dog" iso, I have connected in the past with 4.12, so maybe something was weird there.
Post your issue in the Fatdog thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38936

Last edited by synth; 03-04-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #88
3mph

Will this run on EeePC with everything working (wireless, camera, sound, etc.)?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #89
dellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth View Post
Are you using the plain vanilla 4.12, the 4.2 beta or the cutting-edge FatDog derivative?

120MB - is that the ISO size or the installed footprint (portable or full install)?

* 4.12 is the fastest and most stable version at the moment,but a bit old.You can be sure that everything 'just works'.

* 4.2 beta/RC is gonna rock when it's released.It might work well for you but not for others. It's still beta quality (buggy) and runs slightly slower because of those issues.
It's better to wait for the final release and watch this thread for the latest news/screenshots.
Besides the standard version, there will be a 'retro' variant for junk hardware and a SMP/multicore variant with a cutting-edge kernel for modern machines.
I was referring to the ISO size but checking again it is actually 101MB

I am using the 4.2 beta RC.

I tried Fatdog Puppy but for some reason I prefer this version.

And you are right about it being a bit buggy,Reaper crashed on me earlier on when I was only into the third track of a song.
dellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #90
synth

Quote:
I am using the 4.2 beta RC
Don't be fooled by that 'RC' in the name.It means nothing.
It's a real (buggy) beta.Needs two more RC builds to get nice and stable

Quote:
Will this run on EeePC with everything working (wireless, camera, sound, etc.)?
Runs great on the Eee.
(there's even a specialized derivative called 'Pupeee' )

Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #91
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboy
I tried Fatdog Puppy but for some reason I prefer this version.
'Fatdog' is still based on the *old* 4.12,but with a cutting edge multicore-optimized kernel,newest ALSA and tons of powerful apps.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #92
mrufino1

I will post that to the fatdog forum later. I am typing this from the same T41 running a 4.12 live cd and working perfectly. The network setup worked fine here, so there is definitely a glitch somewhere for me wiht fatdog- I was running it from a usb stick install, not sure if that had anythign to do with it, but the wireless is an intel and is usually recognized by any linux.

I love that 4.2 desktop, I am going to learn puppy because even running from a live cd it is definitely faster than ubuntu or mint. Is puppy at the point where compiling ffado and jack is possible for someone with just enough linux knowledge to hurt himself but still needing a walkthrough now and then? If I had a reaper/ puppy/ firepod or phonic firewire mkII setup I would be very happy. I had the phonic working with ffado and the newest jack on ubuntu, but haven't been successful in 64studio.

Thanks for your linux help, someday this is all going to work!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #93
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1
Someday this is all going to work!
'Puppy Studio' by synth - coming soon

Just waiting for a stable (usable,bug-free) version of the 'Woof' builder.

Last edited by synth; 03-04-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #94
mrufino1

I sure hope you are serious.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #95
synth

In the meantime,I'll make some nice (stripped/optimized) audio packages for 4.2

Compiling and packaging is not a problem,stripping them to Puppy size is the hardest part.

Just Qt 4.5 is a whopping 110MB compressed,much larger than the whole Puppy ISO!

Last edited by synth; 03-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #96
synth

Here's a nice comparison between Ubuntu and Puppy:

Ubuntu:
- Hey guys,I made a nice wallpaper,but it's almost 1MB!
- Nice work! It's definitely going into the next release.Our current plan is to have at least 20 wallpapers in the ISO.We don't care about filesize or performance.PCs will get better with time,DVDs are cheap and having more junk and loads of eye-candy is always better.Our goal is to catch up with Vista and give the users a similar experience

Puppy:
- Why waste so much space on a wallpaper when we can do a nice one that's only 54 bytes! (LOL) and use the extra space for quality apps,new features and a better user experience.We don't have that luxury.Our ISO size will never,ever go over 99MB.
Even after 7 years of existence,the filesize still remains the same.Unlike other distros which have slowed down over time,we have rebuilt Puppy several times just to increase performance,so it would work on even older boxes.

If you're using Puppy ,just download this file:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...ttach&id=15758 (filesize: 54 bytes)

and put it in usr/share/background ,then use the Puppy Wallpaper setter to select the image and STRETCH it to the desktop.

Amazing,isn't it?

Last edited by synth; 03-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #97
mrufino1

I got fatdog to recognize the wireless- I think I figured out the issue I was having, it was probably a user error but maybe it was just cranky that day. I think I was using the wrong security setting, needed wpa2. I was also not saving the profile before connecting, but it is online now anyway. I'm installing wine to it, then will try jack and reaper, see what happens. I do notice fatdog is a little less snappy than the regular 4.12, but still good.
And I look forward to your puppy, jack, reaper install, that will be cool!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #98
synth

Quote:
I do notice fatdog is a little less snappy than the regular 4.12, but still good.
Are you using it with a multicore CPU? FatDog runs slower on single core CPUs (hence its name).For single core PCs,the standard variant is the better choice.

Last edited by synth; 03-08-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #99
mrufino1

I can't seem to get the reaper install script to run, it keeps giving me an error saying /root/Desktop/LinReaper0.82.run: ./main.py: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory. Any idea as to what might be wrong? On mint, once I downloaded the dependencies and installed them, the linreaper install went perfectly. Puppy is currently on a usb stick.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #100
synth

Quote:
install script keeps giving me an error saying /root/Desktop/LinReaper0.82.run: ./main.py: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory.
Did you install the Python package?

Quote:
LinReaper requires Wine, Python, PyGTK and likes to also have the full 7Zip
Too much added bloat just for a simple install script.

Use my tutorial / walkthrough instead.It's a much better way to install REAPER without adding tons of crap

Last edited by synth; 03-08-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #101
maa

I can safely say I know a lot about windows.

I have Reaper all in its own directory so it needs no installing from Linux at all it just runs.

What I need is how to get my Firewire Terratec card running.

The most simple things baffle me in Linux.
For instance -

A file manager called ROX - filer thats with one of the puppys.

Try and copy a file or folder to another drive.
Touch it and its opening already !
No way to copy - oh wait - right mouse says copy is CTR+C but when you click on that it come up with 'item cannot be copied to itself'.
Most frustrating pile of crap - makes me want to give up now.

Anyone else having this kind of trouble ?
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #102
synth

Quote:
Most frustrating pile of crap - makes me want to give up now.
It's not crap,it's an excellent (powerful and highly customizable) file manager with tons of options - you just don't know how to use it

Just click on an empty space in the ROX filer window and select 'Options'. Now you can customize it to your liking

These are the settings I use (recommended for Windows refugees)

Options:
---------

* Filer Windows -> Window behavior -> UNCHECK 'Single click navigation'

* Pinboard -> Pinboard behavior -> UNCHECK 'Single click to Open'

* Filer Windows -> Display -> CHECK 'Show Hidden Files'

* Filer Windows -> Display -> Icon View -> Default Detail -> set to 'Sizes'

Now you have a Window Manager just like Windows Explorer.Double-click at will

Quote:
Try and copy a file or folder to another drive.
Touch it and its opening already !
No way to copy - oh wait - right mouse says copy is CTR+C but when you click on that it come up with 'item cannot be copied to itself'.
That solves 90% of your problems. Read on for the rest

Navigation / Usage Tips:
------------------------

- To spawn a new window that's a copy of the current one,just right-click on the refresh icon.Just try it,it's awesome.

- To spawn a new window showing the parent directory,just right-click on the arrow icon.More awesomeness.

- To copy files between folders,just open another window instance and drag files from one window to another

- Moving files or creating symlinks is the same.You'll be shown a little menu after you drag the file.

- To create a desktop shortcut,just drag a file to the desktop

- To clone a file within the same window,rightclick on the file,select 'Copy' and change the filename in the textbox (add a letter,number or anything just to make the filename different).
You can't copy a file with the same name over the same file.Even WindowsXP doesn't allow this action

- The filer remembers previously opened paths and you can set your own path bookmarks for quick navigation.Just click on the Bookmark icon and select from the bookmarks or recent paths.

- Resizing windows to fit contents: Double-click on an empty space in the Filer.Instant resize

It does the same things in a different way than Windows Explorer,but once you get the hang of it,you'll see how powerful it really is. Linux in general is different than Windows...in a good way.

There's a lot more stuff you can do with ROX.This is just 5% of what it can do.Experiment with right-click,middle-click,double right-click,double middle-click,scrollwheel and the menu options.Discover new things and have fun.It's really deep.

Program Window Tips:
--------------------

- You can move any window by dragging the titlebar.You do know that from Windows.But did you know that if you hold the 'Alt' key, you can grab a window anywhere and drag it on the desktop? Way cool!

- Right-click on a window titlebar. You'll see many options you won't find on Windows.Try the 'maximize-x' or 'maximize-y' options.Very neat.

- Point the mouse cursor over a titlebar and rotate your scrollwheel up.Instand window shading.This is an extremely useful feature.Rotate down to restore the window.

Last edited by synth; 03-05-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #103
maa

I'm sure you're right - I will have another look as I think it will 'click' somewhere along the line.
Wheres my 'FreeCommander or TotalCommander?

How about my Firewire problem - do you know about installing this into wine or wherever else its supposed to go ?
http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/42

Thanks

maa
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #104
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
I'm sure you're right - I will have another look as I think it will 'click' somewhere along the line.
Wheres my 'FreeCommander or TotalCommander?

How about my Firewire problem - do you know about installing this into wine or wherever else its supposed to go ?
http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/42

Thanks

maa

FFADO is pretty experimental still,- it really does depend on a bit of luck...

however to answer your question FFADO is selectable in JACK and then reaper uses wineasio as normal.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #105
maa

Right, now I can actually mark a file without it opening!
But Ctrl+C (copy) Ctrl+V (paste) don't work because of a strange popup.
That only leaves me with drag 'n drop which I hate.
Oh well I dare say I'll find another file manager somewhere...

On to Firewire.
I would apreciate it if someone could walk me through setting up my Firewire card with Jack on a Puppy - anyone up to it?

Cheers

maa
Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #106
mrufino1

I think I installed python but I'll try those packages you mentioned. Now, if I do reaper install straight am I just downloading the exe, letting wine install it, and also doing the wineasio install and the regsvr32 wineasio.dll command and I should be good to go? I believe I installed jack already- as I said, it is running off of a usb stick. If I can run puppy with reaper, etc., firefox, and open office I think I would be good, that's all I generally need. Well, ffado too, but that will come. I can still bear with windows for critical recording until I can get this all working. FFADO is still a challenge on any distro I tried.
And I appreciate your guidance on puppy, I feel like a total newbie again, but it looks very promising.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #107
mrufino1

Same error after I installed the packages, and I downloaded the wineasio.dll.so file but again, when I go to register it it is saying a file does not exist. Is it because I am running from a usb stick? I do have to say I am not necessarily understanding the file structure of puppy yet, I am used to a home folder, etc and I don't see that here. I may install this to a hard drive and see what happens if that is going to make a difference.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #108
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Right, now I can actually mark a file without it opening!
But Ctrl+C (copy) Ctrl+V (paste) don't work because of a strange popup.
That only leaves me with drag 'n drop which I hate.
Oh well I dare say I'll find another file manager somewhere...
You still don't know how to copy a file?

Select a file,for example /tmp/xerrs.log and then do a 'Ctrl-C'.
The popup will appear.In the box,change /tmp/xerrs.log to something like /tmp/xerrs1.log and press the copy button.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #109
synth

Quote:
Same error after I installed the packages, and I downloaded the wineasio.dll.so file but again, when I go to register it it is saying a file does not exist. Is it because I am running from a usb stick? I do have to say I am not necessarily understanding the file structure of puppy yet, I am used to a home folder, etc and I don't see that here. I may install this to a hard drive and see what happens if that is going to make a difference.
Navigate (with the ROX filer) to the directory where you have copied wineasio.dll.so
Then do a rightclick to access the menu and select Window -> 'Terminal Here'
Type the registration command in the console.

NOTE: You MUST install JACK first.

Last edited by synth; 03-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #110
synth

Quote:
Where's my 'FreeCommander or TotalCommander?
I know where you're coming from.
I also want a good 2-pane Linux file manager that resembles the 7-zip File Manager on Windows (or a Linux port of this baby).

I've tried dozens of file managers for Linux and nothing comes close.

(7zFM running under Linux/WINE)

Running 7zFM with WINE proves to be extremely buggy,because of the incomplete emulation. WINE is still beta quality and far from complete
Software like REAPER runs great,but you can't run 7zFM,Skype or Media Player Classic for example.

Last edited by synth; 03-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #111
synth

...or you can just wait for my customized distro (Puppy derivative) that will solve all of your issues.

'Puppy Studio'
(I'm working on it...building the packages at the moment)

WineASIO-0.7.4...done
JACK-0.116.1...done (currently testing Jack2 1.9.1)
Windows/Ubuntu cursor themes...done
WINE-1.1.16....done
QJackCtl-0.34...done
Qt-4.4.2...done (upgrading to 4.5.0 - this one is huge)
Dual pane Window Manager...pending
FreeBoB...done
FFADO-2.1rc ...done
libsamplerate-0.1.7...done
celt-0.5.0...done
WM/DE patches/fixes...done
nVidia drivers (non-legacy)...done
ATI drivers (for newest cards)...maybe
and a lot more packages to compile,strip and convert

Last edited by synth; 03-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #112
synth

More 4.2 screenies:

Don't worry,the taskbar won't look that ugly in the final release

More widget goodness

Last edited by synth; 03-05-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #113
mrufino1

I got it installed and running, just using the regular reaper.exe. And I did get wineasio to register- I had jack running when I did it, or at least reaper was running, I can't remember. Reaper and jack did not run very smoothly though. I was on a 1 hour break at my gig when I did this, so I'll have to play around with it. I also did it on fatdog, I think I may try the regular 4.12 (my t41 is a 1.5 ghz centrino, so it sounds like you said that fatdog was for multiprocessor machines). That 4.2 desktop is gorgeous by the way. I realize now why puppy is such a different experience for me- after a few years of never running as root, it is weird to have a home folder named root and with folders like my programs, my documents, etc. I will learn though.
Will your puppy studio distro have ffado support? That's the only thing that has kept me from using linux for music so far. I know the day will come when ffado is mature and I will be on linux for everything.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #114
synth

If you have installed REAPER (or any other program) with WINE and you want a desktop shortcut,just navigate to:

root/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs

find the .desktop file in one of the directories (i.e. REAPER) and drag it to the desktop.

Quote:
Will your puppy studio distro have ffado support? That's the only thing that has kept me from using linux for music so far. I know the day will come when ffado is mature and I will be on linux for everything.
See the current progress 3 posts above this one

Last edited by synth; 03-06-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #115
synth

Quote:
it is weird to have a home folder named root and with folders like my programs, my documents, etc. I will learn though.
The home folder is not /root,but /mnt/home

The 'my-documents' and 'my-programs' are created just to please the Windows refugees.Don't use them.

Last edited by synth; 03-06-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #116
synth

Quote:
That 4.2 desktop is gorgeous by the way.
The revamped desktop / eye candy is just the icing on the cake.
Almost everything will be better.Crappy applications will be replaced with ones that are usable (like the limited File Archiver for example: it can't extract .rpm, .deb, .rar and .7z archives)

Last edited by synth; 03-08-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #117
maa

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth View Post
You still don't know how to copy a file?

Select a file,for example /tmp/xerrs.log and then do a 'Ctrl-C'.
The popup will appear.In the box,change /tmp/xerrs.log to something like /tmp/xerrs1.log and press the copy button.
Yes - that is the most usless function I could think of - you have to jump through hoops to do that in Windows - why? Because its its not needed in normal situations.
I never need to copy - say - a DVD to its own directory.
Copy a Reaper project to its own directory - why?
CTRL+V seems to be missing in Linux.
If I'm going to have to type the path in by hand then I don't need a ROX filer do I?
A typical copy routine is copy folderX from D: to R: as a backup. Imagine copying to itself first then moving it afterwards (if you have the space that is)
Thats why I said its pile of crap. Window resizing is no good to me if the file manger dosn't provide basic operation.
So yes - Linux needs a Freecommander or similar.
I saw 'Midnightcommander' an emulation of the old Norton DOS Commander on another distro but its crippled.
Synth - if you're going to make a usefull Audio package please put a decent commander in there and Ffado, too.
You obviously went throgh the transition to Linux at some stage so you must know all these seemingly impossible barriers that Windows users come across - sorry if I'm being a pain but I think I'm saying aloud a lot of what many Linux adventurers don't - they just give up.

Cheers

maa
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #118
maa

Default How do I install FFado?

On their website they have a download page - typical Linux - when you've clicked through it they send you back to your Distros installer. Well *it* doesn't list FFado so no go.

This is beyond me.
I see Jack in wine so I assume its already installed - sound test is negative.

Anyone?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #119
synth

Don't bother trying to get Jack/WineASIO to work with REAPER.

I'll post some fresh working packages I made a few hours ago.
Unlike the dodgy packages you'll find on those forums,these are the latest versions,thoroughly tested and guaranteed to work.

No more hunting for dependencies.These have everything you'll need while being stripped to the bare minimum

Last edited by synth; 03-06-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #120
maa

Magic - I'll wait then. Thanks for going to all the trouble !!