Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
simplecarnival
Human being with feelings

Default Automation visual bug - What you see is not what you get (FIXED)

When writing fader volume automation (I'm using a Lexicon MRC as my controller), the envelope shown on the track doesn't visually match what's been recorded.

In the example I've attached, I started at the lowest volume level, went to the highest level for those two waveform hits, then went back down to the lowest level. Reaper appears to play back the automation correctly -- it's just not represented accurately in the track window. The fader move should look like the top part of a square wave.

It appears this problem is caused by the MRC transmitting cc only if there's been a change in value, while Reaper's track window thinks, "OK, your last value was 127, and now your move a few seconds later was 64, so I'll draw a diagonal line between the 127 value and the 64 one." To the user, it looks like the fader volume is fading out, but actually it's not. PTLE displays this kind of fader move like the top part of a square wave; I don't know about other apps.

I'm using v1.809. Hope this information is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper_automation_bug.jpg (8.5 KB, 341 views)
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
Reaper appears to play back the automation correctly -- it's just not represented accurately in the track window.
Actually, I'm not sure about this. I just did some fader moves where the fader was definitely still for a few seconds when I had put down the fader moves, and Reaper appears to be interpolating the next fader change I made instead of playing back exactly what I put into it.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

yeah we need to improve the way it adds points...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
Actually, I'm not sure about this. I just did some fader moves where the fader was definitely still for a few seconds when I had put down the fader moves, and Reaper appears to be interpolating the next fader change I made instead of playing back exactly what I put into it.
Yep I've noticed this too. Sometimes REAPER simply doesn't seem to add the start envelope points when you make a fader move, and as a result it moves the envelope prior to your intended automation, if you know what I mean. Also it doesn't seem to react quick enough, and doesn't always draw the points if you're making a very fast fader move.
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
simplecarnival

Hey Justin --

*THANKS* for fixing this in 1.810 -- wow, that was quick! Automation works how I expected it would.