Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #281
Frankenbike
Human being with feelings

I just started trying to get my StudioMix to work with Reaper and followed the instructions. When I move the sliders in Reaper, it moves the physical faders on the StudioMix.

But when I move the sliders on the StudioMix nothing happens in Reaper. Are StudioMix+REAPER.txt and OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC supposed to send control information to Reaper? Or only transmit data from Reaper to the StudioMix to move the faders? I believe this is the relevant line in the .txt script:

Code:
@input midi_input1 "2- Steinberg UR44-1"//That's my AD and midi device
@input OSC_IN OSC "127.0.1.0:9000" 
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.1.10:8000" 1024 0 
@output midi_output1 MIDI "2- Steinberg UR44-1"
I must be close, but maybe there's some mutually understood information that a noob like me isn't quite getting.

I believe I edited StudioMix+REAPER.txt correctly, because at least the StudioMix is receiving the fader info from Reaper. That has to be the hard part.

Thanks for anyone who jumps in on this and can help me get this up and running.

Edit: I don't know if this is the way it should have been done, but I used "StudioMixMap" to alter the inputs to Reaper so I got different controls on each Action List item I select. Haven't figured out knobs or the jog/shuttle control yet, but I feel like I'm over a major conceptual hurdle.

Last edited by Frankenbike; 09-07-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Frankenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #282
N2NPro

Hi Frakenbike,
I'd be happy to help you as best I can.
Here is my working code:

Code:
/// ### MIDI input from StudioMix device ###
@input midi_input1 MIDI "Layla24 MIDI"

// ### OSC input from REAPER (using an OSC Control Surface configuration) ###
// NB: REAPER's OSC Control Surface must be configured to *send* OSC messages to this network address/port!
@input OSC_IN OSC "localhost:9000"

// ### OSC output to REAPER ###
// NB: REAPER's OSC Control Surface must be configured to *receive* OSC messages on this network address/port!
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.0.7:8000" 0 0

// ### MIDI output to StudioMix device ###
@output midi_output1 MIDI "Layla24 MIDI"

@init
Try using mine, replacing the pertinent ports and network addresses.

As far as using the jog etc, I have mine setup to my work flow. I would be happy to share my OSCII-bot and SM+Reaper scripts if you like.
Also, if you need more assistance, I would be happy to remote into your system and help sort things if necessary.

Hope this helps you out.

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #283
Frankenbike

Hey N2NPro,

Heh, I started with your settings (took me a second to figure out Layla24 must be your midi interface).

The problem with the thread,is it's never really been reconstructed from scratch to tell us the right way to do this from scratch. I don't know what part of the code is responsible for receiving commands from the StudioMix. It's sending commands to the StudioMix as it's supposed to.

Somewhere the thread transitioned from needing Midi-OX and loopMidi, but I can't figure out where. I got your old method down apparently, though I needed StudioMixMap to alter the channel 16 CC38 problem for all of the sliders. Do you still need to assign things through the action list,or is that all taken care of with StudioMix+REAPER.txt and OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC?

Does the script still require anything other than OSCBOTII? Midi-OX? LoopMidi? Where is my system so different from yours, that half the function of the script is failing? I'm on a Samsung laptop running Win7 64 bit.

I just have to say thanks to everyone for even getting me this far?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg studiomixmapSG.jpg (66.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #284
N2NPro

Hi Frankenbike,
No SM mixmap needed nor midi-ox/loopmidi, although I searched for the mixmap a year ago and couldn't get my hands on it.

You need:

OSCII-bot v3. http://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/
OSCII-bot v3 SudioMix+REAPER.txt script for the OSCII-bot v3
OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC script for Reaper OSC

I have attached the necessary files configured for your system.
They will need to placed in the appropriate locations and Reaper midi/osc configured properly to work.
I'm sure you will have questions. As I said before, I am happy to remote into your system to get you sorted. Might be faster than me trying to talk you through the procedure.

Let me know how it goes.

N2N
Attached Files
File Type: zip SM REAPER FILES.zip (94.1 KB, 309 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #285
Frankenbike

It went perfectly. I don't know what is different between the files, but that worked! EVERYTHING WORKS, even the jog/shuttle. I am one happy camper. I have questions about customization, but they can wait.

I did get a warning in OSCBOTII, but it seems to be working anyway.

I really didn't have much hope of waving a dead chicken over the StudioMix and getting it to work before I found this thread. Technology wise, it's ancient, and didn't even conform to the standards of its time. The only chance I thought I had of resurrecting it was buying Sonar or getting in contact with that eprom guy.

Reaper could steal a few Sonar people this way, or get some people to dust off their StudioMixes and buy a modern DAW. You and Banned already did a lot of the relevant legwork.

Thank you so much for taking time out of your weekend to help me. I hope I can pay it forward some day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSCIIbotWarning.jpg (35.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #286
N2NPro

Hi Frankenbike,

I'm glad this is working out. You will need to modify your action list and a few other things to be completely functional. Mute/Solo and other buttons would need to be edited/modified to obtain functionality. At least now you are experiencing the benefits and see the potential. With some tinkering you'll be able to enjoy a much improved work flow. And yes, if there are SM owners using Sonar, they would benefit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenbike
I did get a warning in OSCBOTII, but it seems to be working anyway.
The error message is "normal" (I guess... it's always been there and our mentor/creator/god has never addressed it's importance to functionality).

As I said, you'll need help with the complete functionality. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

N2N
Old 09-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #287
Frankenbike

Thanks again, for the offer of future help!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #288
Banned

Hey, cool to see some more people inteested in using these hacks! And thanks for all the kind words of praise! I didn't spend much time in the studio lately (more often in the kitchen, practicing my thai cooking skills) but will surely take another look at this stuff and try to add some helpful bits of explanation in the comments.

@Frankenbike: I'm sorry there's no easy to follow procedure to set things up from scratch, but you have to understand that there are many ways to go about this; the current design is somewhat arbitrary, as it is based by and large on the workflow requirements of N2NPro and jico27. Feel free to elaborate what you would want to see changed/added, and I'll see what I can do.

@fadercreep: fwiw, I think OSCII-bot isn't very useful for SysEx, unfortunately. Pure data is much better suited for that. If you have reverse engineered some SysEx function's format, I'd be glad to demonstrate a little Pd patch to convert it to some other MIDI or OSC message format of your choice, and how to expand on it.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #289
Frankenbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hey, cool to see some more people inteested in using these hacks! And thanks for all the kind words of praise! I didn't spend much time in the studio lately (more often in the kitchen, practicing my thai cooking skills) but will surely take another look at this stuff and try to add some helpful bits of explanation in the comments.

@Frankenbike: I'm sorry there's no easy to follow procedure to set things up from scratch, but you have to understand that there are many ways to go about this; the current design is somewhat arbitrary, as it is based by and large on the workflow requirements of N2NPro and jico27. Feel free to elaborate what you would want to see changed/added, and I'll see what I can do.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. What you've done is fantastic, and I'm sorry I missed out on contributing to the development.

I think I was talking about putting the scripts and OSCBOTII and instructions in the top, original post, and keep updated scripts there for people who find this thread over the years. I found it 6 months later, and it was hard to find the relevant and correct scripts and instructions.

Thank you for being generous with your time and knowledge, Banned!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #290
Banned

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it may indeed be useful to add a bit of a summary of subsequent developments in the first post, but that's up to N2nPro.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #291
Frankenbike

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it may indeed be useful to add a bit of a summary of subsequent developments in the first post, but that's up to N2nPro.
I'm new here, but it seems like you've done significant legwork that would make integrating this into the Reaper code as a feature a relatively simple project. How do you lobby the developers?

I'll probably have some contributions of my own once I understand how everything works. Is there a command reference that you used for this project?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #292
Banned

There's some useful documentation at http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php - but note that not everything is applicable to OSCII-bot. There are also some interesting forum threads about how to use EEL, typically with reference to ReaScript, but much of it is useful for scripting with EEL im OSCII-bot as well.

I'm not sure integrating this sort of stuff into REAPER would be that useful, btw, even assuming it would be (easily) possible - the modular approach lends itself much better to customization, imho.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #293
Frankenbike

Quote:
There's some useful documentation at http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php - but note that not everything is applicable to OSCII-bot. There are also some interesting forum threads about how to use EEL, typically with reference to ReaScript, but much of it is useful for scripting with EEL im OSCII-bot as well.

I'm not sure integrating this sort of stuff into REAPER would be that useful, btw, even assuming it would be (easily) possible - the modular approach lends itself much better to customization, imho.
I can see a lot of things that can be linked to a GUI. I'll have to do some research and see how open Reaper is. If you can add stuff to Reaper's GUI, and run external executables from the scripting language, I might have some ideas.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #294
Banned

In general, REAPER seems very 'open', but it's hard to describe in general what can or cannot be done - without reference to a specific functionality.

Afaik we can't add things to REAPER's GUI from OSCII-bot, but you can of course use WALTER and customize a theme. Indeed, there's plenty stuff that could somehow be visualized, however, especially for remote control, I tend to prefer a 'less is more' approach - imho ideally things should be usable with eyes closed, ears open, and hands on the hardware.

Also, bear in mind that a scripting language is probably not the best platform for continuously drawing things on screen in terms of performance/efficiency. A dedicated control surface plug-in (written in C/C++) would be much more suitable for a GUI-heavy approach, I guess.

And for interacting with external stuff, it seems that ReaScript/Python is more useful.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #295
Frankenbike

Quote:
In general, REAPER seems very 'open', but it's hard to describe in general what can or cannot be done - without reference to a specific functionality.

Afaik we can't add things to REAPER's GUI from OSCII-bot, but you can of course use WALTER and customize a theme. Indeed, there's plenty stuff that could somehow be visualized, however, especially for remote control, I tend to prefer a 'less is more' approach
I was thinking of just creating a GUI to basically show what things in the script can be customized, and be able to customize the script(s) being run in OSCII, and then refresh OSCII. So everything would work the same as now, except you don't open StudioMix+REAPER v91.txt or OSCII-bot+StudioMix v91.ReaperOSC in a text editor, and you would be able to access it from a pulldown like other control surfaces.

If it's harder to make a GUI through the Reaper scripting system, maybe I can have the menu trigger an external GUI. I don't know if I can do GUIs in JS, but I know I can do it in Python and trigger OSCBOTII.

I used to work in visual effects. A lot of the tools writers would write scripts that you had to call with a command line and options. I wrote tools with interfaces that allowed for far more flexibility and offered far more options. But underneath, the scripts I wrote were the same as everyone elsees. I admit, I will spend a day on a GUI, just to save myself 25 seconds while working creatively, because when I'm using a tool in a creative environment, typing and text editors take me completely out of the zone.

It'll be a while before I have time to examine this. I'll try to pick up what I can now. But I'll be motivated as soon as I'm doing a project and I'm more interested in getting the knobs linked to low and mid EQ then actually getting the project done sooner.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #296
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenbike View Post
I was thinking of just creating a GUI to basically show what things in the script can be customized, and be able to customize the script(s) being run in OSCII, and then refresh OSCII. So everything would work the same as now, except you don't open StudioMix+REAPER v91.txt or OSCII-bot+StudioMix v91.ReaperOSC in a text editor, and you would be able to access it from a pulldown like other control surfaces.

...I admit, I will spend a day on a GUI, just to save myself 25 seconds while working creatively, because when I'm using a tool in a creative environment, typing and text editors take me completely out of the zone
Yes I understand whay you mean. Of course this option, which wouldn't alter at all the current Banned's programming work, would probably make it more attractive or more user-friendly.
If you have time to examine it, i would certainly be happy to see this working some day.

Cheers.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #297
Krabat

Hi,

I just fell over this thread a few day before and immidiatly took my studiomix out of the cupboard again

But I get some errors which I don't únderstand and which I havent found in this thread before (or maybe overseen...):

Error: in @init: Unterminated expression, missing ) or ]
Error: in @timer: Unterminated expression, missing ) or ]
Error: in @oscmsg: Unterminated expression, missing ) or ]
Error: in @midimsg: Unterminated expression, missing ) or ]
2 inputs, 2 outputs, 179 strings

all in all the studiomix also doesn't react.

Any help?

Btw: Thanks to Banned for the incredible amount of work in the script, and the others for beta-testing.

@ N2N: Are you still searching for the studiomixmap? Give me a PM.

Best, Gunnar
Krabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #298
N2NPro

Hello Krabat,
Unfortunately I have no idea about your error messages.
Thank you for the offer regarding the SM mixmap but I don't think I have any need for it now.

Good luck with getting yours sorted. My SM's are absolutely awesome!

N2N
Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #299
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hello Krabat,
Unfortunately I have no idea about your error messages...
N2N
Hi,

Neither do I. I can't help.
Sorry for you.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #300
N2NPro

Hi TonE,
I have 3x SMs.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #301
jico27

Hello Banned and N2N Pro,

Just a little post to clear one important point with both of you.
Having used Banned's programmation now for a good amount of time and enjoying it, there is still a point that bothers me, but this might be only because i use Windows.

The ALT+TAB KS.
Windows doen't 'see' the GUI of oscii-bot. It only sees the UI. And the shortcut inevitably focuses on the UI and never on the GUI.
So I always have to use the mouse to focus on the GUI which is for me the only interface that accepts the keyboard shorcuts of the programmation.
It's a pity, because my right hand has to run to and fro between the SM & the mouse while my left hand remains on the keyboard.

Is this specific to Windows or is it exactly the same on Mac? If yes, do you find this uncomfortable or unhandy as i do myself ?

Cheers
Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #302
N2NPro

Greetings jico27,
My workflow doesn't require me to toggle between Reaper and the Banned GUI very often.
When you open OSCII-bot.v3, two screens appear-> the Banned GUI and the "loading scripts" UI. When I close the "loading scripts" UI the Banned GUI stays open and visible. Then using ALT-TAB toggles between focus on Reaper or the Banned GUI. If I have more windows open this doesn't work. Make sure and close the Cockos OSCII-bot.v3 UI window. I know you use the banking feature and thus the necessity to toggle focus from one to the other. I have recorded a few workflow vids demonstrating your method but I haven't had time to overdub yet. I am completely swamped at the moment and am not sure when I'll get back to it.
Let me know if this works for you.
All the best to you and our fellow SM/OSCIIbot Reapers!

N2N
Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #303
jico27

Hello N2N,

Quote:
Greetings jico27,
...Make sure and close the Cockos OSCII-bot.v3 UI window.
N2N
AAaah!
Of course!
This, obviously, IS the solution!
I was so used to let the UI open just to have a look if everything was going right that i didn't even think of closing it, even once...!
Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, i have a new problem with the script: The UI indicates an error that i really can't detect, even after several readings of it.

Line 1253 or so, the UI is asking for some ) or ] at the end of the line "receives midi message", see below.

This seems to be the same kind of error as Krabat, above #300. And this single error prevents the incoming massages from the SM to reach Reaper. So I'm stuck with this and struggling as hard as i can to solve the error, but... no way! I can't find any unexpected ( or [ anywhere which could explain this. If you have an idea... Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Be sure that as soon as the problem is solved, i'll let you know if your solution works for me. If it's the case, the workflow will be much bettered, of course, even excellent...! No more running to and fro of my right hand!

I've been spending time, of late, to tune the script with new commands that make things much easier for me and when all this is completely finished, i'm sure that i'll have something really valuable in the next future. Among them, i'm trying to configure a powerful vertical zoom on the jog and another horizontal one on the shuttle that might help me a lot as i often do editions on audio.
Hope your new videos will be done soon. Good idea anyway.

I also hope that Banned is getting on well.

Many thanks to you.

Jico

Last edited by jico27; 11-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #304
N2NPro

Hi jico27,
Perhaps some of the additions you made killed your script.
All I can do is give you my script and help edit it to your I/O settings.
That could be a jumping off point for you to start with modding again.
I have also made mods with the script which you may or may not want to keep but you can edit however you like. My script is fully functioning and I use it everyday in 2 different machines with two different SM's.
Let me know if you'd like me to post my script.
Good luck,

N2N
Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #305
jico27

Hi N2N,

Yes, multiple editions of the script may lead to errors, for sure, but i don't think it's the case here...

Quote:
Hi jico27,
...Let me know if you'd like me to post my script.
Good luck,
N2N
No, thanks, that won't be necessary since i still have the original created by Banned.
I think i will start from scratch and hope i will add the modifications i had previously made, successfully, this time.

Thanks again
Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #306
jico27

Hi N2N,

ok, i'm done. The script is finally rebuilt with my new modifications. I added and checked them at once, one by one, for possible errors. These missing ) are terrible if you don't pay attention. Only one missing and the script is dead. I use now 'Sublime text' which includes numerous programmation languages syntax spelling checkers. So it's quite easy to find errors. There's even an option for python which can verify the )... This could eventually serve for people experementing difficulties with "missing ) or ]" messages...
I installed the script on my XP notebook and all in all, everything is working as expected. I could even use it successfully on customized versions of reaper! And what's more, i have no problem at all with the ALT+TAB thing in this context. No need to close such or such window. I can have as many windows as I want, the KS is always working well. And using Banned's workflow in these conditions is a breeze...
But it's still all the contrary on my W7 PC where I encountered the problem I mentioned previously. There must be something to tune in windows to get a better result, so that the GUI and the UI can be recognized as a unique interface (as in XP), but I can't find it. Bad luck!
I've also abandoned the idea of configuring progressive vertical and horizontal zooms with the Jog/Shuttle associated with the modifier. Still much too complicated for me, I think. Especially for the shuttle. And I'm not familiar enough with python. Therefore, I could assign to the jog the following action:
'toggle vertical zoom on selected item',
Of course, using the jog for this wasn't indispensable. Any other controller would have done the same. But this action which allows a very strong zoom on one precise item is better than nothing.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Best luck for your videos!
About the banking feature, displaying some easily identifiable color would be profitable.

Cheers

Last edited by jico27; 11-19-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #307
Krabat

I found my mistake:

The OSCII-bot-version was dated. I took it out of the SM REAPER FILES.zip. After reloading the OSCII-bot V0.3 from the cockos site the error-messages were gone. Althougt it doesn't work either for now, I'm one step beyound.

Best, Gunnar

Edit: Yeah, I't works. I changed my MIDI-device and now it works both ways. Must have been an issue with the name of the ports or so. So now I can start cofiguring/calibrating...

Last edited by Krabat; 11-19-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #308
N2NPro

Hi Krabat,
Very happy to hear you got it going. Have fun and keep us posted with your results.

N2N
Old 11-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #309
Krabat

Quote:
Hi Krabat,
Very happy to hear you got it going. Have fun and keep us posted with your results.

N2N
Thank you N2N. I fiddeled a bit around with it and was able to calibrate the faders (1.0 suits my needs more than 0.716) 'cause it rebuilds the whole faderway in Reaper. The low end I took '100' and the high end '16000'.

But I have a question: This thread is quite long an it holds a lot of testing and 'not-working' in it. Can somebody put together the actual point of what should work and how (eg. which knob is for which function)?

For Example I found out that the upper Master-Encoder switches the upper bank of encoders for the other channels and the lower encoder swiches some function of the faders, but I can't figuer out, which. The same for the swiches next to the master. Are they configurable?

Best, Gunnar
Old 11-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #310
Krabat

Another thing I found out:
If I close OSCII-bot there stays a process open, if I reopen it, a second process is shown in the task-manager, and so on. I wonder, if it is the right behaviour?!?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #311
N2NPro

Hi Krabat,
You only need to have one instance open, more will confuse the SM. If you are on PC open the bot leaving the GUI open but close the bot window (but do not use "quit") use the X at the top right corner of the window. All will function as it should. If you need to open the bot window, do so via the bottom right task bar area "show hidden icons" and you can open and close at will without opening other instances of the bot.
Let me know if this works or if you need more assistance.

As for fader, button and knob functionality. You can search through the thread or wait til I have time to write it up for you. I'm very busy the next two days but should have a little time later this week.

N2N
Old 11-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #312
Krabat

Hi N2N,

I just found this issue while testing (and not knowing where to start). It didn't cause any problems. But thank you for the tip with the "show hidden icons"; I did not know that before.

No hurry with the rest. I myself have nearly zero time for making music at the moment, nor to play with configurations. But if you find some time, it is much appriciated (an I hope, there will be more beneficiarys around).

kind regards, Gunnar
Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #313
N2NPro

Hello Krabat,
In response to your Fader/Button/Encoder functionality question. I made a PIC outlining the controls and functionality. The obvious buttons on the transport are not listed.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

N2N
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM Ctrl Functions.jpg (64.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #314
Krabat

Hi N2N,

sorry for the delay. Yes, the pic is very helpful (may be added to the first post of the thread?). Same for the youtube-Video you made an which I found recently.
The only problem I have ist the fader mode: Does norm,rec,snd mean "normal, recieve, send"? If so, which send/recieve is attached if you have more than one?

Happy second weekend in advent, Gunnar
Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #315
N2NPro

Hi Krabat,
The normal, receive and send Fader modes work on a per track basis. When selecting a track with receives/sends turn the knob to the appropriate selection and you can control their levels. Let me know if you have more questions.

N2N
Old 12-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #316
Krabat

Hi N2N,

no further questions! Thank you and have a rockin' good christmas

Best, Gunnar
Old 03-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #317
TD1

Default Problems setting up the StudioMix

Dear all,

thanks for all the work to get the StudioMix up and running. I just started using the StudioMix with Reaper 4.76 64bit (on windows 7) and have some trouble setting it up.
I downloaded the files provided by N2NPro in a post earlier (v0.91), downloaded OSCII-bot v0.3 from the website, changed the midi in/out ports + Socket information accordingly and configured Reaper to use OSC.

Now when I move some knob or fader on the StudioMix I receive messages in the OSCII-bot, but nothing happens in Reaper. When I move any fader in Reaper I again receive detailed output in OSCII-bot (using the debug-mode of the provided script) and the fader of channel 7 on the StudioMix moves.

In the control surface settings dialog of Reaper I also listened for any received messages that are being send by OSCII-bot. Upon re-loading of the script in OSCII-bot only these two messages are send:

"/action [i] 41743"
"/device/track/bank/follows [s] "MIXER""

I would appreciate any idea of how to start from here...

best, TD1
TD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #318
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Dear all,

thanks for all the work to get the StudioMix up and running. I just started using the StudioMix with Reaper 4.76 64bit (on windows 7) and have some trouble setting it up.
I downloaded the files provided by N2NPro in a post earlier (v0.91), downloaded OSCII-bot v0.3 from the website, changed the midi in/out ports + Socket information accordingly and configured Reaper to use OSC.
Hi TD1, welcome to this forum! Good to see more people who want to use this script!

I guess you downloaded those files from the link in post #285?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Now when I move some knob or fader on the StudioMix I receive messages in the OSCII-bot, but nothing happens in Reaper. When I move any fader in Reaper I again receive detailed output in OSCII-bot (using the debug-mode of the provided script) and the fader of channel 7 on the StudioMix moves.

In the control surface settings dialog of Reaper I also listened for any received messages that are being send by OSCII-bot. Upon re-loading of the script in OSCII-bot only these two messages are send:

"/action [i] 41743"
"/device/track/bank/follows [s] "MIXER""
It is correct that only these two OSC messages should be sent to REAPER on reloading the script in OSCII-bot. The first one should trigger the REAPER action "Control surface: refresh all surfaces" (Cmd ID: 41743), which should make REAPER send a bunch of OSC messages back to OSCII-bot (which, in turn, should send a bunch of MIDI messages to the StudioMix). Does this not happen for you? (You should be able to see them in the OSCII-bot window, when using its debug-mode.)

It's sure weird that moving any fader in REAPER would only affect the fader on channel 7 on the StudioMix device! Perhaps you can post a small excerpt of the 'debug' logging in OSCII-bot when you move a fader in REAPER, and also for moving a fader on the StudioMix - it may give me some clues what exactly is going on on your end?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #319
TD1

Hi Banned,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

>> I guess you downloaded those files from the link in post #285?

Yes, I figured from the posts that these are the most recent.

>> It is correct that only these two OSC messages should be sent to REAPER on reloading the script in OSCII-bot. The first one should trigger the REAPER action "Control surface: refresh all surfaces" (Cmd ID: 41743), which should make REAPER send a bunch of OSC messages back to OSCII-bot (which, in turn, should send a bunch of MIDI messages to the StudioMix).

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

>> Does this not happen for you? (You should be able to see them in the OSCII-bot window, when using its debug-mode.)

Yep, it does. I attached the log file. Oh, and the nice gui is working too. After selection of a Track in Reaper the correct Track information is displayed in the GUI.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I should try something else.

Best,
TD1
Attached Files
File Type: txt OSCII-botLog.txt (16.1 KB, 1142 views)
TD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #320
Banned

Hmm, it looks like MIDI output from OSCII-bot to the StudioMix is somehow not working correctly for you. I'll probably have some time to look further into this in a few days, if you have a little more patience.