Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #161
mr. moon
Human being with feelings

File too large?

doesn't work for me at all now...

(see attached screen capture)

-mr moon

EDIT: I went back and tested out an older project that had your old style drum reaplacer on it (version 3a) and it works just fine without any issues whatsoever.

Please PM me if you need me to send you a log file or anything. This is on my hoe computer now, so I'm seeing the same problem on every PC that I have REAPER installed on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaplacer1.jpg (50.9 KB, 743 views)

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon

Last edited by mr. moon; 06-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #162
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
File too large?
This (showing wrong stuff on the drop down slider) is probably because of this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36674

What's worrying me more is that it doesn't work for you. (Especially since it seems to be working for Pipe and Vulkanizer now...) Do you have another system to try it on?

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #163
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
This (showing wrong stuff on the drop down slider) is probably because of this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36674

What's worrying me more is that it doesn't work for you. (Especially since it seems to be working for Pipe and Vulkanizer now...) Do you have another system to try it on?

Regards,
- Jonas
I have 4 PCs I have it installed on, and they all are experiencing the same issue. Three WinXP and one Win64. Two are quad cores (one WinXP and one Win64), one is a dual core laptop, and the last is a dual core desktop (work rig).

I'm experiencing this with all of these systems.

The older version of Drum ReaPlacer (3a) works fine on all of them.

Let me know if there are any log files or anything that may help.

-mr moon

Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #164
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Mr Moon,

I really don't know what to make of this. None of the stuff below is likely but... here goes:

- The track isn't record armed I suppose? (That would break PDC...)

- Could you try re-downloading the DrumReaplacer-test-kit.zip and try again? (I sneaked in a few updates during the afternoon...)

- I assume it's the enclosed demo project you've tried it on? If not, what are the sample rates of: 1. the items on that track 2. the project (if specified in the project settings 3. the sample source file you are using?

- ..?

I gotta get something to eat now, just got home from a run, but I'll post again when and if I come up with any other possible reasons. Perhaps when more people try it we'll get more clues on what might cause this. I

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #165
mr. moon

Default FIXED!!!

...sort of.

Update:

Looks like it is possibly a sample rate issue. The new REAPER.INI file set it back to 44.1K, and when I reset it back to 96K, it no longer works.

Hi Jonas.

OK. Looks like my REAPER.INI files just had to be blown out of the water to make it work properly on my Internot computer.

On my laptop, I was able to delete the reapeak files, resave it once, and then it was good to go.

I would consider it fixed, and if anyone else happens to have the same issues I had, you can tell them to blow away their REAPER.INI file to try to get it to work.

-mr moon

Quote:
Mr Moon,

I really don't know what to make of this. None of the stuff below is likely but... here goes:

- The track isn't record armed I suppose? (That would break PDC...)

- Could you try re-downloading the DrumReaplacer-test-kit.zip and try again? (I sneaked in a few updates during the afternoon...)

- I assume it's the enclosed demo project you've tried it on? If not, what are the sample rates of: 1. the items on that track 2. the project (if specified in the project settings 3. the sample source file you are using?

- ..?

I gotta get something to eat now, just got home from a run, but I'll post again when and if I come up with any other possible reasons. Perhaps when more people try it we'll get more clues on what might cause this. I

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by mr. moon; 06-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #166
mr. moon

OK. I have replicated this across 3 of my 4 PCs. Any time I have the sample rate set at 96K, it fails with a "file too large" message. If I switch back to 44.1K, it works perfectly.

So, this is a deal killer for me right now, as I do all my projects at 96k.

Bummer...

-mr moon

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #167
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
OK. I have replicated this across 3 of my 4 PCs. Any time I have the sample rate set at 96K, it fails with a "file too large" message. If I switch back to 44.1K, it works perfectly.

So, this is a deal killer for me right now, as I do all my projects at 96k.
Ah, my bad. Then the problem actually is that the file gets too large after sample rate conversion. When DrumReaplacer loads a Sample source file it converts it (in RAM memory) to the samplerate of the project, which means that the higher the sample rate is the more memory will be used.

Now that wouldn't be a problem unless JS plug ins has a limitation in how much memory they can use - around 8 mb - which doesn't fit a lot of audio at 96k.

What you could do is 1. create an FR to lift that limitation (or at least set it higher), I know a few people who would support it : ) 2. Use smaller sample source files.

I suppose DrumReaplacer could do the sample rate conversion in the fly but that would mean a lot of work for the CPU...

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 06-30-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #168
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

For those of you wanting bleeding edge stuff, here's a new version which adds a few sliders to control the dynamic spread of a performance - I call i Solidify (as in a creating a solid performance).

What these sliders do in theory might be a bit confusing* but in practice it's dead easy:

Set the "Solidify above (dB)" so that all hits that should be hard hits are above it. Set the "Solidify below (dB)" so that all hard hits are below it. Now drag the "Solidify (%)"-slider to the right until the performance is as solid as it should be.

http://nejnas.se/audio/jsfx/DrumReaplacer-1.095.txt

Note that the orders of the sliders have changed so this version is *not* backwards compatible with older versions. (The slider called Velocity is exactly the same as the Dynamics-slider in previous verisons, just thought the new name for it was less confusing.)

Please let me know how it works and how you like it! Regards,
- Jonas

* What it they do is they take all hits that are inbetween the values set on the "Solidify above (dB)" and "Solidify below (dB)" slider and makes them stronger. How much is controlled by the "Solidify (%)"-slider. Setting it to 100% will make all hits in that zone peak at the value set by the "Solidify below (dB)"-slider, setting it to 50% will make all hits in that zone peak exactly inbetween their original strength and the value set by the "Solidify below (dB)"-slider.

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 07-01-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #169
mr. moon

Default My 96K workaround

OK, since 96K is not an option at this point, what I have figured I will do is import my kick tracks into a 44.1K Drum ReaPlacer Template project, use drum reaplacer to create and render a kick track using whatever sample I wish (at 44.1K), and then I will import that rendered kick track into my 96K project. I have tested this and it works really well, especially since I just want to add a bit or "THUUUUMP" to the kick tracks I already have. May do the same with the snares too, we'll see.

Thanks Jonas!!

BTW: 1.095 works really well!

-mr moon

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #170
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
OK, since 96K is not an option at this point, what I have figured I will do is import my kick tracks into a 44.1K Drum ReaPlacer Template project, use drum reaplacer to create and render a kick track using whatever sample I wish (at 44.1K), and then I will import that rendered kick track into my 96K project. I have tested this and it works really well, especially since I just want to add a bit or "THUUUUMP" to the kick tracks I already have. May do the same with the snares too, we'll see.

Thanks Jonas!!

BTW: 1.095 works really well!

-mr moon
Thanks for testing it!

If I'll find the time I'll try making a version that converts sample rate on the fly but that'll be at the expense of higher CPU usage. You could try smaller Sample source file (>8mb at 96k) if you want it to work in 96k directly...

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #171
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I got the reaplacer files up on my site if you get the chance to try them jonas
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #172
Pipes

What`s with Sweden and drums..
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #173
RRokkenAudio

Uploading 4 kicks and 2 snares to try out too, on pipes site.

~Rob.
RRokkenAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #174
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I got the reaplacer files up on my site if you get the chance to try them jonas
Did you mean the Metal madness ones? I tried those and the kick snare and low tom all work fine, the others are indicated as too large files - JS plugs can only use about 8 000 000 memory slots, which in this case means that the file can only contain about 8 000 000 samples = 90 seconds in 44.1k stereo. Maybe it's time we bug Justin about upping that limit? Great sounding toms btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipes View Post
What`s with Sweden and drums..
I'm guessing that you're referring to the Toontrack guys, right? We actually live in the same town : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRokkenAudio View Post
Uploading 4 kicks and 2 snares to try out too, on pipes site.

~Rob.
I only found .gogs, am I looking in the wrong place?

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 07-13-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #175
drillbit

Just popping in to see how this cool project is going.

Does is generate midi yet? (like the Reagate does). This is the killer feature I'm waiting for.

I would love to use it as a detector for BFD2.1
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #176
Pipes

Quote:
I'm guessing that you're referring to the Toontrack guys, right? We actually live in the same town : )
And XLN Audio...
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #177
jamieskeen

just wanted to say thank u Jonas for continuing to develop this, it has been very useful to me.
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #178
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Wow Jonas, this really is a wonderful plug!

I wonder if it might be possible to make a plug based on this which would work as a low latency drum sampler to replace incoming live audio?

I'm not particularly suggesting that you should accept the challenge, more asking if you think this might be possible in JS.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #179
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post

Does is generate midi yet? (like the Reagate does). This is the killer feature I'm waiting for.

And EZ Drummer - that would be killer, as far as ease of use.

Alternatively, is there a way I can import the EZDrummer sounds/wav files to be used with the ReaDrummer?
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #180
wickerman

Hi everyone... I'm a little late to the party... I have DrumReplacer on my snare track but I cannot load any samples into it... I tried pointing to a snare wav file but it won't point me there...

What am I missing???
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #181
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Sorry for me replying so late, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieskeen View Post
just wanted to say thank u Jonas for continuing to develop this, it has been very useful to me.
Thanks for your kind words - glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepipeline View Post
Wow Jonas, this really is a wonderful plug!

I wonder if it might be possible to make a plug based on this which would work as a low latency drum sampler to replace incoming live audio?

I'm not particularly suggesting that you should accept the challenge, more asking if you think this might be possible in JS.

Your thoughts?
It's possible - in fact the old SStillwell/Drumtrigger combined with a sampler does exactly this! Give it a try and see if it does what you need. It uses a simple way of deciding when to trigger MIDI notes but in my experience it works fine.

I might go down the road to develope sth like this myself (using transient detection rather then open/close threshold) but it might be a while before I'll find the time. Let me know if you want to give it a go, I'll help in any way I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
And EZ Drummer - that would be killer, as far as ease of use.

Alternatively, is there a way I can import the EZDrummer sounds/wav files to be used with the ReaDrummer?
DrumReaplacer does not output MIDI, I know quite a few people would like that so it's not impossible that I'll add it in the future. But in the meantime, see if SStillwells/Drumtrigger (included with Reaper) does the trick for you. I've used it with the Addictive drums demo with great results - here's me banging away on my knees:

http://nejnas.se/temp/Repis.mp3

I pointed one mic towards my left knee, one towards my right and one towards my right foot just tapping on the floor - worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
Hi everyone... I'm a little late to the party... I have DrumReplacer on my snare track but I cannot load any samples into it... I tried pointing to a snare wav file but it won't point me there...

What am I missing???
I'm not quite sure I understand your question but in general:
* All samples must be put in ...REAPER/Data/DrumReaplacer - is that where your snare sample is?
* There's a limit to how long big a sample can be (about 8 mb in the samplerate of your project) - is your snare smaller than 8 mb?
* There has to be at least 50 ms of digital silence between each hit in the sample source file
I hope that helps, if not post again and we'll figure it out! Regards,
- Jonas
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #182
Crucified

is this working in windows 7? i had it going on xp just fine, then i switched to windows 7 and it doesn't seem to want to load the sample we were using. it is in the correct folder.
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #183
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified View Post
is this working in windows 7? i had it going on xp just fine, then i switched to windows 7 and it doesn't seem to want to load the sample we were using. it is in the correct folder.
It should work in Windows 7, I haven't tried it but since all JS fx runs "inside" Reaper there shouldn't be a problem.

Does your sample file show in the drop-down-box?

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #184
caseyblu

Default Mac ppc?

Just tried downloading and installing. I have a mac power pc running Reaper 3.15. Copied the Jonas folder into ...Reaper\Effects; and the Drum Reaplacer folder to ...Reaper\Data and Reaper can't find the plug in upon launching the demo... Any help??

can't wait to check it out,
caseyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #185
Alex.W

Hey Jonas, mind if I try creating a GUI for Reaplacer?
Alex.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #186
caseyblu

Default mac ppc?

.... Copied into the wrong folder; I put it in ...library\applicationsupport\reaper etc etc.

works great!

thanks for the awesome plug in. It is saving a mix for me today!!
caseyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #187
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyblu View Post
.... Copied into the wrong folder; I put it in ...library\applicationsupport\reaper etc etc.

works great!

thanks for the awesome plug in. It is saving a mix for me today!!
So glad you like it! Do post a snippet of the song if that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.W View Post
Quite the opposite - I'm flattered. It would be great to have a scrolling waveform (rectified?) where the hits are shown. Let me know what I can do to help.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #188
jamieskeen

wow!!! i can't wait to see it!!!
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #189
boodolph

Default Mapex drum samples for DrumReaplacer

Hey guys
First of all, I want to thank Jonas for this amazing plugin that made my life much easier. Second, I read on Ultimate Metal about some drum samples that were available at http://usa.mapexdrums.com/index.asp. I checked them, and they sound nice to me so, I edited them to be used in DrumReaplacer. I want to share them here and make it available to anyone who may want to try or make use of them. Just remembering that THEY WERE NOT SAMPLED BY ME, I JUST EDITED THEM. I couldn't find anything in the Mapex site about not sharing this sounds and since they are available there for anyone who wants to download them, I think that I'm not breaking any laws by sharing this.
If so, please remove this post.
Here they are:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2L3DI1FH
ENJOY!!
boodolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #190
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

I suggest you use my sample library of acoustic drums with Drum reaplacer. It is formatted KT3, format "Battery3" from Native instruments until I find a free player as good as battery. It is a bank licensed under creative commons, you can use freely.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #191
d.bop

I have to admit that I never really looked into this until now. I'm working with a live venue and this is going to work PERFECTLY! (Now if only there was a VocalReaPlacer plugin for those times you have more drums than vocals in your mic...)

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #192
sightlessness

Ok, I read the whole thread, and it's all great and all. Thanks a bunch. Your KD sounds better than SD2's, :P The snare as well (it's like yours has life). Still, I was wondering... WHERE ARE THE SAMPLES? :P I got some of the links posted here, but still, there are just a few. Where I can get more? And I mean more in the sense of MultiSample format for your plugin. Ok. Thanks again a whole bunch for this great plugin.
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #193
d.bop

Pipelineaudio has some good ones for this.

http://pipelineaudio.net/kompound%20drums/index.html
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #194
boodolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
I suggest you use my sample library of acoustic drums with Drum reaplacer. It is formatted KT3, format "Battery3" from Native instruments until I find a free player as good as battery. It is a bank licensed under creative commons, you can use freely.
Can we have a link for your sample library please ?
boodolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #195
sightlessness

I went to his site, but nothig there, just a nice design but no content?
http://tchackpoum.free.fr/Samples.php
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #196
AdamWathan

Haven't used this plug in a long time because I've been converting drums to midi before triggering just to guarantee perfect replacement and DrumReaplacer can't accept MIDI input. But the plug I was using (apTrigga) doesn't support velocity sensitive multisamples and after failing to find a virtual instrument that would do what I wanted, I stumbled across DrumReaplacer again. Now I use apTrigga to trigger a really short "blip" sample from my MIDI, and it sends the blip to DrumReaplacer at the correct velocity based on the velocity of the MIDI note and I use DrumReaplacer to trigger the velocity sensitive multisamples instead. Works FLAWLESSLY! So thanks again for this plugin, real life saver. Wish there was a way to make it more CPU efficient though but I think that's a JS issue in general. I'm on a 2009 MacBook Pro with 2.53ghz core 2 duo and this plugin takes over 5% of my CPU with one instance :/ a bit scary! Haha... No big deal though because I always render my sample tracks right away.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #197
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Haven't used this plug in a long time because I've been converting drums to midi before triggering just to guarantee perfect replacement and DrumReaplacer can't accept MIDI input. But the plug I was using (apTrigga) doesn't support velocity sensitive multisamples and after failing to find a virtual instrument that would do what I wanted, I stumbled across DrumReaplacer again. Now I use apTrigga to trigger a really short "blip" sample from my MIDI, and it sends the blip to DrumReaplacer at the correct velocity based on the velocity of the MIDI note and I use DrumReaplacer to trigger the velocity sensitive multisamples instead. Works FLAWLESSLY! So thanks again for this plugin, real life saver. Wish there was a way to make it more CPU efficient though but I think that's a JS issue in general. I'm on a 2009 MacBook Pro with 2.53ghz core 2 duo and this plugin takes over 5% of my CPU with one instance :/ a bit scary! Haha... No big deal though because I always render my sample tracks right away.
Thanks for your story! I love to hear that people still use my little plug in! If you have the time please post or mail me a song or snippet of a track where you're using DrumReaplacer - that would make my day.

A midi player version of DrumReaplacer would probably use a bit less CPU but not much since most of the power goes to the "player" part of the code. And you're right that this is a JS limitation, memory handling isn't blazing fast. (Not complaining though, I love JS : )

Off (this) topic, lately I've been using DrumReaplacer to add ambience to my kick tracks. You ever noticed how the kick sounds great in the overheads? Sadly this great sound is most of the time drowned by snare, toms and cymbals when the whole kit is played. But once again, DrumReaplacer to the rescue : ) I just make a sample source file with a few kicks recorded through the overheads (takes only a couple of minutes) and use that file in DrumReaplacer. Now I can add as much "OH kick" as I want to the kit.

Regards,
- Jonas

BTW I'm also on a late 2009 MBP but with the 2.4 Ghz processor : )

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 04-04-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #198
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
I went to his site, but nothig there, just a nice design but no content?
http://tchackpoum.free.fr/Samples.php
Go to the home page for download the drum kit : here
Old 04-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #199
AdamWathan

Quote:
Thanks for your story! I love to hear that people still use my little plug in! If you have the time please post or mail me a song or snippet of a track where you're using DrumReaplacer - that would make my day.

A midi player version of DrumReaplacer would probably use a bit less CPU but not much since most of the power goes to the "player" part of the code. And you're right that this is a JS limitation, memory handling isn't blazing fast. (Not complaining though, I love JS : )

Off (this) topic, lately I've been using DrumReaplacer to add ambience to my kick tracks. You ever noticed how the kick sounds great in the overheads? Sadly this great sound is most of the time drowned by snare, toms and cymbals when the whole kit is played. But once again, DrumReaplacer to the rescue : ) I just make a sample source file with a few kicks recorded through the overheads (takes only a couple of minutes) and use that file in DrumReaplacer. Now I can add as much "OH kick" as I want to the kit.

Regards,
- Jonas

BTW I'm also on a late 2009 MBP but with the 2.4 Ghz processor : )
How hard would it be to create a version that accepts MIDI input? I have a decent background in computer programming and wouldn't mind taking a stab at it by amalgamating parts of your code with some other MIDI based JS plugs!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #200
Gadd23

Default Gracias !!!!

Thank you. Works beautiful!!
Gadd23 is offline   Reply With Quote