Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-17-2023, 02:41 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default five related Requests regarding automation shortcomings

1) It would be nice if Reaper would offer optional block slicing per track / per container / per plugin in the same way (and maybe with the same dialog) as oversampling. This would help with plugins that do not support sample accurate automation (e.g. all VST2s, but also lazily done VST3s). Maybe as well static 1/n block size might be viable as dynamic according to parameter curve slope. (Same has been discussed some time ago, as there seem to be DAWs doing such.)

2) I seem to remember that I found that in Reaper sample accurate parameter modulation seems to work for envelopes but not for Midi-to-parameter link modulation. I did not check Parameter->Parameter link modulation. (I tested using JSFX.) This of course should be mended (if still true).

3) To me it's not appropriate that ctrl-shift drag up/down in a time selection on an envelope creates rectangular shapes instead of slopes. Such harsh parameter or volume modulation likely results in unwanted artifacts (see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=145 )

4) It seems that related issues can arise when rendering, as the buffer size used for rendering can be different than when auditioning. No idea how that could be mended, as auditioning buffer size might be depending on the currently attached audio interface, while rendering buffer size is a Reaper-set definition.

5) Regarding all this, it would be nice if the Rea plugins would be VST3 to comply to sample accurate parameter modulation.

(I could split this up into single threads if appropriate...)

Last edited by mschnell; 12-18-2023 at 12:53 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #2
Loulou92
Human being with feelings

+99999999999999999999999999999999999

Please Justin if you read this, don't discard VST2 as useless things of the past. VST2 are here to stay in many FX folders. they need some love. Some of them old VST2 don't have modern replacements. They can be crucial to some users work.

VST2 need smoother automation.

Same thing, I can 100% confirm that Reaper parameter modulation suffers from the same exact limitation regarding automations. It is a stepping artifact festival.

Reaper parameter modulations need smoother behavior.

Last edited by Loulou92; 12-17-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote