Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Martins
Human being with feelings

Default 7.1 Surround render problems

Hello there,

I am installing an 8 channel sound artwork for an exhibition in copenhagen, and as a 7.1 Surround and Reaper rookie, i am stuck at what to me seems like a rendering issue.

The mission is to get one single file to play 8 different tracks, routed to 8 different outputs, played from either Quicktime or VLC, so i guess the file format should be AIFF or FLAC.

I really hope that someone here can point out what i am doing wrong.

My playback sounds as it should, but whenever i render the master track i made, it seems that the same mono channel (think it might be track 1, 3 or 7) comes out of every output on my audio interface (ESI Gigaport HD+).

I've attached pictures to show how i have set it up and routed. I really hope that i just made some stupid noob mistake, easy fix. But maybe this just isn't possible?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 15.23.10.png (29.6 KB, 301 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 17.56.17.png (44.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 17.56.45.png (60.1 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 17.58.33.jpg (60.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 18.02.49.jpg (56.8 KB, 267 views)
Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Xenakios

The thing wrong appears to be your render source in Reaper, shouldn't that be the master mix and not "stems (selected tracks)"? I think with those render dialog settings you will get as many 8 channel files as you have selected tracks in the project.

(edit : also a possible reason : It's possible Quicktime and VLC do not properly support the kind of surround/multichannel playback you need.
)

Last edited by Xenakios; 08-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #3
Martins

The reason that i choose to render from selected stem (My created master mix) is that i've read and heard that the master in REAPER does not support multichannel and only stereo, but maybe this is not true? Whenever i use the master in REAPER, i get stereo out of the first two outputs, so it could seem that it is true.

I know for a fact that VLC and Quicktime supports 7.1, however VLC does not support AIFF and only FLAC in 5.1 surround. So i will be using quicktime, which supports 7.1 in AIFF.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:40 AM   #4
airon

The master supports multichannel just fine. Change the channel count on its I/O and its Hardware send.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Martins

It seems that removing the ReaSurround from the master channel has fixed my problem. I have no idea how tho, because as far as i know, atleast VLC (dont know about quicktime) needs a 7.1 setup for it to know where to route the outputs.

Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
semiquaver

I do this kind of thing often.

(reasurround was mixing the inputs together btw - that is its function)

also I would suggest .wav fwiw

quicktime can play multi-channel .wav - you need to "configure speakers" for your interface in audio midi setup to set the routing (button bottom . right)
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins View Post
It seems that removing the ReaSurround from the master channel has fixed my problem. I have no idea how tho, because as far as i know, atleast VLC (dont know about quicktime) needs a 7.1 setup for it to know where to route the outputs.
ReaSurround has nothing to do with the rendered output file, it's just a surround/multichannel panner, it's not a surround encoder or metadata source.