Old 08-29-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default Insight izotope

can you please advice me on the questions on the image

also please advise is there phase issue in the image where i typed "Bad?" i think this occurs when background vocals kick in on right and left channels!

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insight.jpg (41.9 KB, 295 views)
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
can you please advice me on the questions on the image

also please advise is there phase issue in the image where i typed "Bad?" i think this occurs when background vocals kick in on right and left channels!

Thank you!
It's good that you're paying attention to which tracks might be causing the antiphase content...

It's not necessarily a problem, but it sort of depends. If it's in the low end (e.g. under around 100 or 200 Hz I would say, as a very rough rule of thumb) it might suck energy out the mix due to cancellation.

If it's in the higher frequencies it's probably less important. You said it's background vocals so it's not like an out-of-phase kick drum or something, so it's probably OK.

If you see a lot of antiphase associated with a particular track, it might imply that the track was accidentally recorded with a mic opposite the expected polarity, or a strange reflection issue, or excessive "stereo widening" or a mid/side mic pair with the side mic too hot, etc.

The main thing to ask is "does it sound OK". If so, you're probably fine. The gotcha you want to watch out for is what happens when the mix collapses to mono.

Total mono collapse doesn't generally happen, of course (especially now that FM radio isn't so important; apparently when reception is poor but listenable, FM becomes mono). But if you are playing a song through a small boombox, or one of those crappy tabletop speaker things people are so excited about these days, you're losing a lot of stereo image just due to the proximity of the speakers.

To simulate, I like to put a stereo width adjustment on the master track (or better, in the monitor FX chain) and reduce the width to like 20 or 30%. Then you can toggle it on and off and get an idea of what might happen when your mix comes out of a little boombox. Or, you know, play it on a little boombox to test it for real.

Sometimes reducing the stereo width of your mix will result in a nasty surprise: that "problem" track may suddenly get too quiet, etc. Sometimes it's fine.

But as long as we're not talking about the bass end, and as long as it sounds fine when you reduce the width, I'd not worry too much about it.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
clepsydrae

Addendum: stereo signals will just about always have some antiphase content. It's normal. Especially on wider stereo pairs of mics.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote