Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Ostrava
Human being with feelings

Default How increase length of midi item?

I've made a midi clip which is 8 bars long. However I want to increase this to 16 bars so I can draw in more notes into the clip. Dragging the clip only creates a copy of it.

Also if I double click on the clip so I can edit it a red vertical line appears that causes the clip to play from wherever I double clicked, is there any way I can stop that from happening?
Ostrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
JeffreyET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrava View Post
I've made a midi clip which is 8 bars long. However I want to increase this to 16 bars so I can draw in more notes into the clip. Dragging the clip only creates a copy of it.

Also if I double click on the clip so I can edit it a red vertical line appears that causes the clip to play from wherever I double clicked, is there any way I can stop that from happening?
My experience with MIDI is limited. You could copy & paste the item and edit it, but you probably already know that.

Why not create a KB shortcut that will open the MIDI editor the way you want it? (use the Action List menu)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Tod

Quote:
There are some settings somewhere that affect this but I'm not sure where they are. I have no problem LeftClicking on the right edge of a midi item and extending it. I believe it has something to do with looping.

Personally I'm not into looping so I make all my midi items full song length. That way I can open them to add to them or edit them without having to make or extend midi items. Also I use Record: MIDI overdub and I can record on them anywhere anytime.

Quote:
I don't have a clue what that's about, it don't happen here. Perhaps one of those Reaper settings.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
tls11823

Right-click the MIDI item and select item properties. Make sure that the "Loop source" entry is not checked. With that inactive, you should be able to stretch the item as you wish.

Under Preferences, do a find for "loop source". There are several boxes there that you can check or uncheck. I like to leave them unchecked, because I rarely need looping behavior. Others that use loops would want them checked.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Under Preferences, do a find for "loop source".
Thanks, this did the trick. I don't know why this isn't set as default.
Ostrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Win Conway

Quote:
Thanks, this did the trick. I don't know why this isn't set as default.
Because most people want a MIDI loop, and when you are in the MIDI editor it is easy to just drag the right edge and resize the item that way, no need to change loop properties

Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
ivansc

I used to insert a MIDI item and then select its properties & reset the length (usually using the beats setting rather than time of course) and THEN turned off looping.
Nowadays it is at least somewhat easier to do than before.

And I wonder if "most people" really do want to work with the "loop on" setting as default?

Personally, I start a project by bashing out a couple of bars of a suitable rhythm track and then deciding what I want to repeat/loop/cut`n`paste,etc. later.
But of course that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.
Dare say if I could be arsed to wade through the manual to find it, there is a way to reset the default behaviour, but frankly it has never impeded my workflow in MIDI enough to worry.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

The relevant settings are in Preferences -> Project -> Media Item Defaults.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
cyrilfb

Default extending 8 bar midi to 16 bar

Something that I find convenient it to simply drag it so that you get one loop. That's 16 bars. Now right click it and "Glue" it. It is now one 16 bar item and all the notes from the original are duplicated in the second 8 bars.
Often this is convenient to just make moderate changes to the original 8 bar tune.

I hope that makes sense.
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
JeffreyET

@tls
Thanks for the tip, I learned something from you too! Didn't know you could switch off looping when you stretch an item.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
Scoox

I've just noticed the new feature "automation items" which by the way is a game changer for me. Suddenly Reaper becomes a more viable option for electronic music production. Yay!

Does anyone know if there's a way to temporarily disable item looping by means of some moues modifier? I would have though the top part of the item edge could loop and the bottom one just resize, but that's not the case.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
Michael AD

Most folks know you can do this with an audio clip, but you can do the same thing with a Midi clip:
Hold the ALT key and grab the left or right edge to either stretch or condense the midi clip. Of course, you are also going to change the note lengths/locations too, but you may find this trick useful for certain situations.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote