Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
studer58
Human being with feelings

Default Unable to make custom actions attach to shortcut keystroke

I'm running Reaper 5.62 on a 2010 Macbook Pro with 10.6.8, and all's running fine, except for a problem I have with custom actions. I am using the latest SWS Extensions pack

I'm using the Source-Destination editing custom actions, as created by Pelleke here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...27&postcount=1

At the bottom of his post is the Keymap for editing process, and I've imported these

When I bring up the Actions dialogue box, the 3 actions with their associated keystroke shortcuts are listed.

If I highlight a particular action and click Run at the bottom of the Actions box, the action is performed fine ! However if I hit that particular shortcut key (F10..which performs the edit) the action doesn't take place.

So it would seem that, despite having imported the Keymap, the custom actions (although installed correctly into the Actions folder) haven't successfully 'stuck' or attached themselves to the keystroke shortcuts ?

If you have any ideas as to why this is occurring, I'd be very happy to hear your suggestions...and Thank You in advance !

PS....I'm wondering if it's as simple as F10 already controlling the Macbook's speaker mute ?

Last edited by studer58; 12-07-2017 at 07:27 PM.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
jrengmusic

on macOS by default, pressing one of these keys performs the special feature indicated by the icon printed on the key. For example, pressing the keys with speaker icons adjusts the volume.

If you want to use one of these keys as a standard function key, hold the Fn key (usually in the lower-left corner of the keyboard) while pressing the function key. For example, pressing Fn-F10 (speaker icon) performs the function assigned to the F10 key instead of toggling mute on or off.

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:
  • Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  • Click Keyboard.
  • Click the Keyboard tab if it's not already highlighted.
  • Select "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"
With this option enabled, the keys on the top row act as standard function keys (F1–F12). To use a feature indicated by the icon printed on a key, hold Fn while pressing the key.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
studer58

Thank you JReng, I'll give that a try....although I've now been able to use F10 by adding it as a "Special Key" entry via the Actions > Add procedure...but it's great to know about that Fn toggling feature too...very handy indeed !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote