Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #161
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Now that it is almost 30 days since the free offer expiration, how many people that download it still have it installed?

I uninstalled mine today having to have the extra software just to have this eq is too much. Maybe if I had 10 apps that required it I might have kept it.
I still have it, plan to use it for some things (I like the SOLOing of freq bands, the sidechain pulling EQ values from other songs -- although when applied to my song it suggests crazy boosts in places I can't live with---), but currently sidetracked testing out the PTEq-X by Ignite Amps, which so far I'm enjoying. Something about not using my eyes as much, just enough nobs to get just enough variations for things that matter most, efficient when EQ instruments 'in the mix', and something about the sound - smoothness comes to mind? http://www.kvraudio.com/product/pteq-x-by-ignite-amps
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 AM   #162
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Me too - Frankly I really like and use ALL of my free Eventide plugs.
That 2016 room is a great baseline reverb or ambiance or whatever you want to call it. EQ is taking a little leasrning to get everything it ahs to offer though. Definitely not just another EQ plug.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #163
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Me too - Frankly I really like and use ALL of my free Eventide plugs.
That 2016 room is a great baseline reverb or ambiance or whatever you want to call it. EQ is taking a little leasrning to get everything it ahs to offer though. Definitely not just another EQ plug.
Yeah, I'm not using it a lot, but there are places where it's of real value. I've used it especially on acoustic guitars by having it match the sound of other acoustic guitars I really like. I'm always surprised at what it does, although I don't always use the results.

I also got "Elevate" the limiter, and it's also quite amazing. It's definitely more complicated and needs to be dialed in, but once I get it dialed in the results are great.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #164
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Now that it is almost 30 days since the free offer expiration, how many people that download it still have it installed?
I also have the free LittlePLate reverb by soundtoys, I actually use it so I have no problem with a couple small services running in the background for iLOK.

As for this EQ, so far I've only used it once for the Match feature on acoustic guitar track. I doubt I'll use it much otherwise because I hate the UI, I just can't concentrate. Edit I actually used the EQ yesterday and I guess the GUI is not all that bad after all, getting used to it, tho I'd still prefer just a plain old UI.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 12-03-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #165
EpicSounds

video on using it for guitar eq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtVGrqsKetk

Old 12-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #166
Jeffsounds

[QUOTE=EpicSounds;1920481]video on using it for guitar eq

Good video! Thanks, Jon. Can you make one that tells me why my plugin uses 10+ CPU while yours only hits 0.7?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #167
EpicSounds

try with the OpenGL button off. I saved my default preset to have that off and I think it helps.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #168
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
try with the OpenGL button off. I saved my default preset to have that off and I think it helps.
Still 10+ with button on or off.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #169
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
video on using it for guitar eq
Thanks for make this vid

I also tend to notch in that area (the pain frequencies) for guitars.

Your example really strengthens the point that EQing makes more sense while listening to the mix. You cut some harshness (nasties) in guitars that for some would not seem harsh/nasty at all. But, in your mix, which is very very harshless, these guitars could be considered harsh. Had your mix not been wrapped in a thick duvet blanket the guitars would probably need no treatment at all.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #170
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Still 10+ with button on or off.
Don't want to be Mr. Obvious (Oblivious is more like it), but what video card do you have? Are its drivers up-to-date?
TheMaartian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #171
Tod

Quote:
video on using it for guitar eq]
Good one Jon, you presented it well. There's one thing you didn't show, and that's how you can also adjust the frequencies up and down within the frequency band they occupy. Actually you can adjust them outside of their freq band, but I'm not sure what good that would be.

I also got Elevate, the limiter that goes with EQuivocate, and I really like it too.

I honestly haven't checked the CPU, I've not run into a problem with that yet. However, I have found with Elevate, it will cause latency when I'm playing midi from my keyboard, so I just bypass it then.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #172
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Thanks for make this vid

I also tend to notch in that area (the pain frequencies) for guitars.

Your example really strengthens the point that EQing makes more sense while listening to the mix. You cut some harshness (nasties) in guitars that for some would not seem harsh/nasty at all. But, in your mix, which is very very harshless, these guitars could be considered harsh. Had your mix not been wrapped in a thick duvet blanket the guitars would probably need no treatment at all.
bit confused if you liked the mix or not.

Not everyone liked my example, said I cut way too much out in solo (probably true), I think it just needs a slight volume boost which can be done now that there's less harshness.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #173
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
Don't want to be Mr. Obvious (Oblivious is more like it), but what video card do you have? Are its drivers up-to-date?
According to Win 7 Pro the drivers are up to date. Not that THAT means much...

Quote:
bit confused if you liked the mix or not.

Not everyone liked my example, said I cut way too much out in solo (probably true), I think it just needs a slight volume boost which can be done now that there's less harshness.
It's not your mixes or even you methods and techniques... you just need to sound more like Kenny.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #174
TheMaartian

Quote:
According to Win 7 Pro the drivers are up to date. Not that THAT means much...
That's what I wanted to check. I have heard of situations where the MS driver was causing problems (on nVidia; don't know about AMD). The solution was to install the latest driver from the card's manufacturer.

For example, I have an Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti. I go to Gigabyte's driver download site at least monthly and check for updates (which are posted regularly).

If your video card is old, and the manufacturer is no longer providing updates, you'll have a call to make. In my case, it was replacing the AMD card that came with my early 2012 Dell XPS 8500 with the Gigabyte. That solved a number of problems for me.

YMMV
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #175
Jeffsounds

Quote:
That's what I wanted to check. I have heard of situations where the MS driver was causing problems (on nVidia; don't know about AMD). The solution was to install the latest driver from the card's manufacturer.

For example, I have an Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti. I go to Gigabyte's driver download site at least monthly and check for updates (which are posted regularly).

If your video card is old, and the manufacturer is no longer providing updates, you'll have a call to make. In my case, it was replacing the AMD card that came with my early 2012 Dell XPS 8500 with the Gigabyte. That solved a number of problems for me.

YMMV
I just checked with the website and it appears I have the latest driver. I may have to change video cards to get rid of the problem. Any suggestions? I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3400 series video card.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #176
TheMaartian

Quote:
I just checked with the website and it appears I have the latest driver. I may have to change video cards to get rid of the problem. Any suggestions? I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3400 series video card.
Hate to see you buy a new video card if that turns out not to be the problem. That said, I've been really happy with my Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti. It takes 2 slots and you need to have a power supply with the proper power cable (most do), but it's not expensive and those 2 fans are very quiet under load.

The current 'version' of mine is the 1050. The 2 GB version is $120 on Amazon. The 4 GB version is $190. Not needed if you aren't gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gefo...dp/B01MG0733A/

All nVidia video cards are NOT created equal (nVidia makes the processor chip set). Stick to Gigabyte.

If you do wind up getting one, PM me and I'll give you some tips on the install (what part of the driver package to install and what not to).
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #177
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Hate to see you buy a new video card if that turns out not to be the problem. That said, I've been really happy with my Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti. It takes 2 slots and you need to have a power supply with the proper power cable (most do), but it's not expensive and those 2 fans are very quiet under load.

The current 'version' of mine is the 1050. The 2 GB version is $120 on Amazon. The 4 GB version is $190. Not needed if you aren't gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gefo...dp/B01MG0733A/

All nVidia video cards are NOT created equal (nVidia makes the processor chip set). Stick to Gigabyte.

If you do wind up getting one, PM me and I'll give you some tips on the install (what part of the driver package to install and what not to).
I've got it all for reference. Thanks! I don't do any gaming, I think it's an incredible waste of time so I just need something that works and doesn't affect Reaper or audio.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #178
EpicSounds

made a video on the matching mode as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcNTYQ_A74

Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #179
Edgemeal

Update - 1.5.0 - Release date: July 03, 2018
Added Range Parameter which will allow you to scale and invert the EQ curve, even after MATCH EQ is locked in.
Added Band Activate/Deactivate switches to allow you to hear the effect of each band in context.
Alt click now sets sliders to default in both DRAW CURVE on and off modes.
Updated some graphics
New UPDATE button will inform user when further updates are available

https://www.eventideaudio.com/suppor...598/installers
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #180
Judders

Thanks for the heads-up!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote