Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Jorock
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne ARA2 Editing (Noticeable Latency)

Hey friends, I have been working in Reaper v5.961+dev1103 using melodyne to edit timing and tuning of vocals. There is a noticeable latency to every single move I make. When I click to grab and move a blob up or down on the pitch timeline, it sometimes hangs for a brief second and then responds.

I can make a move even without visually seeing it precisely in that second, but whatever changes I make appear like about 1 second later. It's making it real tough. Of course I know this is just a developer build etc. but wondering if others are experiencing it? Are there settings that fix this?

It happens regardless of buffer setting. Happens on 2 different machines I have (laptop and desktop). CPU usage is quite low in either instance, so I believe its more of the communication between the two applications...

Any thoughts?! Thanks in advance!
Jorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
mirceablue

I've noticed that is much faster if you work only with one item (take) if you have multiple takes it is indeed very slow . I think it looks through all the item (takes) from that track. Not optimized yet. I think it needs more time from both sides to develop.
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Jorock

Yeah I’m working from a comp track so it is one take only for each region as opposed to multiple takes. If the latency is even worse with multiple takes it must be quite bad.

Last edited by Jorock; 12-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Jorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
funkycornwall

I'm not finding this and I don't have a state of the art fast computer. A new Beta was released a couple of days ago so you might check that out. I'm finding operation very smooth now. You used to have to click 'use project tempo' in melodyne but now no longer necessary as the tempo is picked up fine automatically.
funkycornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
mirceablue

Just tried it, indeed much smoother although it still has some quirkiness.
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
funkycornwall

I’m loving it. I find it amazingly brilliant that you can have so much fluid control over audio and all keeping in synch. When you save each time all the Melodyne edits are also saved. Then when I have completed my edit I freeze the track to a new one which mutes the old edited one. I can now remove Melodyne from the previously edited track and hide that track with the Track Manager. I have used ARA2 quite a bit now and grown more adept with experience. Vocals and backing vocals are real fun now. Of course you are not restricted to vocals with ARA2.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycornwall View Post
I’m loving it. I find it amazingly brilliant that you can have so much fluid control over audio and all keeping in synch. When you save each time all the Melodyne edits are also saved. Then when I have completed my edit I freeze the track to a new one which mutes the old edited one. I can now remove Melodyne from the previously edited track and hide that track with the Track Manager. I have used ARA2 quite a bit now and grown more adept with experience. Vocals and backing vocals are real fun now. Of course you are not restricted to vocals with ARA2.
So I'm still using Melodyne 2 from years ago (which surprisingly still gets it done). I've always held off from any upgrades because I just take my vocal into Mel, make all the edits, save the new .wav and use that in Reaper.

So now that it sounds like it's close to actually working in Reaper, I'll probably upgrade but can someone tell me how it works in Reaper? I assume you add it like a plugin and then? Does it copy the wave file or bring the actual wave file into the plugin? Is freezing it, after the changes, the preferred way (only way?) to get it back to a track? Can you save your Reaper progress in Melodyne and open it up tomorrow and then make additional edits to the vocal (something my current method won't allow)?
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

its a little slow atm but that could be just how melodyne is.

Some of the stuff is flawless.

If you record a new take, it melodynes it immediately if you have melodyne on the track.

if you switch takes, it preserves your edits and allows you to switch takes...

if you move a clip, it moves in melodyne.

but the tempo detection and tempo marker creation is way off atm during ARA2 usage, but not if you export from the standalone. This needs to be fixed.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
funkycornwall

It works very simply really. Just load Melodyne on a vocal track (or whatever) and it synchs directly. You used to have to click the 'use project tempo' in Melodyne as sometimes it was not accurately synched. Now in the latest beta this seems to be resolved and it comes in always synched. You can make your edits and yes as long as you save when you open REAPER next time those edits are saved too. I tested this out yesterday by just editing the first three notes. I saved then closed and reopened REAPER and those notes were still correctly edited and Melodyne opened up on the track ready for continuing editing. I normally freeze the track once I am happy with it and it will then have the track name plus stem. You can then hide the original track and remove the Melodyne on that track. Now you could edit this new stem track again with Melodyne if you need to. Once happy this stem can be frozen and it will now be the track name plus stem stem. I generally hide any tracks no longer needed using the Track Manager.

If you are doing vocal harmony plus lead vocal you can have Melodyne placed on each track. Now when you edit in one track you will also be able to see edit the other vocal tracks which is great for timing and note ends and so on. I think you can lock a track in case you edited it by mistake but leave the other tracks editable.

Overall ARA2 is brilliant and really fun to use. Like you I used to take tracks out into Melodyne and edit and then put them back into REAPER. There's just no need to do this now with ARA2 and it is so much better to be able to edit in context of the whole track.

Last edited by funkycornwall; 12-05-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Jae.Thomas

you have to watch your project settings too - like offsets and such. ARA doesnt account for this, apparently. Keep it simple/default
Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
wolfdogg

Thanks a ton for that explanation. Really helps. I think I'll be finally upgrading my Melodyne.. and probably this evening!!

Are you using Melo Studio and is that required for putting Melo on multiple tracks (I was just planning on buying Editor but might have to reconsider if that's the case)?

Is this working in Beta only? And if that's the case.. Can a regular Joe like myself download Reaper Betas?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Jae.Thomas

but again, the tempo mapping doesn't work as effectively as exporting the tempo from standalone. That's one major flaw atm.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
but again, the tempo mapping doesn't work as effectively as exporting the tempo from standalone. That's one major flaw atm.
Got it. I'm thinking (hoping) that wouldn't affect what I'm doing. I do a lot of vocal/guitar performances to tracks so I'm assuming the track (with a preset bpm) wouldn't create any challenges? Or is there still an issue in this case if the track changes tempo?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Jae.Thomas

The tempo mapping I'm referring to is more like if you have a track that doesn't conform to a click but you want to create a tempo map FOR it or perhaps align it to a grid. I don't think reaper has this part down yet.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
wolfdogg

Quote:
The tempo mapping I'm referring to is more like if you have a track that doesn't conform to a click but you want to create a tempo map FOR it or perhaps align it to a grid. I don't think reaper has this part down yet.
Got it. That's what I thought you were saying. That would affect the stems from my band (obviously) but sounds like I can still do my track work while I wait for this to get worked out. Really appreciate the advice. I'd have probably been banging my head on something a while before realizing this was happening.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Jae.Thomas

I have a feeling the developers will address this before they release it officially. So keep your eyes peeled!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
In fact I am considering to buy Melodyne mainly for tempo mapping. I don't need other features (even if those might be fun ), and of course I need to see it working decently before...

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote