Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
mb945
Human being with feelings

Default Clicks on Playback Start (Need to clear plugin buffer)

I have been having a consistent problem with small clicks happening at the start of playback.
This only happens after audio has already been played and then I skip ahead and go back and play again.
I believe this is due to the audio not being cleared from the buffer before the playback begins.
Depending on the plugin used I can clearly hear that it was audio from the same point in the song that I stopped playback in before.
This causes the biggest problem when I use the Render Region Matrix and every song starts with a small click. This is a huge problem for mastering.
I imagine the solution would be to clear the buffer before playback (or going to the next region when rendering).

Below is a short list of some of the plugins that I have found have this problem. It is not all plugins that do this but many of them.
Melda MStereoProcessor (version 11)
Fabfilter Saturn (with HQ on)
Slate Verbsuite Classics and Trigger 2
Sknote Soundbrigade
Valhalla Shimmer & Ubermod (but not Room, Plate or VintageVerb)
Soundtoys Echoboy, Decapitator, Phase Mistress and Little AlterBoy (but not Little Plate or Tremolator)

To replicate:
1. Create a session and put a piece of audio on a track about a minute in to the session.
2. Add any of the plugins mentioned above and then play the track for a few seconds
3. Stop playback and quickly play in the session before the audio track starts, you should either hear or see a small click on your meters

You can see an illustration of this in the attached screenshot from Fabfilter Pro-L2.
In this image I played the song and then quickly played before the song and you can clearly see the small blip that should not be there.
(In the case of using Slate Trigger this sound will often cause false triggers/drum hits at the start of the song)

I have tried experimenting with every possible combination of buffer settings as well as running the plugins bridged with no luck.
I see the option to "Hard reset on playback start" when right clicking on a plugin in the FX browser but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
This has been happening as long as I can remember and it's causing me a lot of problems.
Please let me know if you have any questions/need any more info.
Thank you!!

mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
mschnell

It's a well known problem that VSTs are stopped in action when stopping playback and started at that point when starting playback o rendering.

(Some) VSTs (maybe a difference between VST v2 and v3 ?) don't see a reset on (re-) starting activity.

I doubt Reaper can do anything about that.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
JamesPeters

I have none of these plugins but I got a hint from the picture you posted, a direction this might be going. The "lookahead" feature means the plugin will have latency (at least while that feature is being used, possibly always). Plugin delay compensation (PDC) will counteract the effect such that things keep in sync, but the plugin does require some buffering.

With plugins that have latency, I've noticed if I enable/disable the plugin during playback it'll make a bit of a glitch in the sound as Reaper has to "change gears" to then buffer playback for the sake of PDC (or remove that buffer, if the effect is disabled). Maybe what you're experiencing is similar in that regard.

In the fx browser window, look at the bottom left. To the right of "CPU", it'll say "spls" ("samples" of latency). The higher the number you see, the more Reaper is going to have to "change gears" when enabling/disabling the plugin.

There might be a way to reduce this effect. I try to use plugins that have no latency as much as possible so I don't ever have to deal with this or any other issues which might arise. This means I haven't thought much about mitigating this particular issue. But this is probably a step in identifying what's happening.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
mb945

This does not happen in a predictable way based on if a plugin has latency or not. I have some plugins that have large latency (such as Slate VTM) that do not have this problem. I think it's something in the way the plugins were made and how they use the buffer. It would be better if it could just be fixed on Reaper's end quickly rather than trying to get a bunch of different companies to fix all of their plugins.
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
JamesPeters

It's a good idea to eliminate variables first.

Does this happen for any plugin--that you've noticed--which has no latency? If not, at least it's narrowed down to the plugins that do have latency (even if some plugins with latency don't have this behavior).

Then the plugins with latency don't cause this glitch can be used examples for comparison with other plugins which do cause this glitch. (By Reaper devs and/or by plugin makers.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:27 AM   #6
jackmilas

Hello, I am looking for a solution for this too!
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote