Old 09-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Amether
Human being with feelings

Default Sync with other programs...

OK, so let's say I'm going to be playing some music with some friends, and they're going to be using Ableton Live - and I want to be at the same tempo as them - hopefully so that anyone can update the tempo, which will be updated on everyone's machine.

I realise REAPER's not a live music system (yet, ahem) but tempo-synced effects and even loop regions would be good to have updated...

How do I do this? Other than shouting at eachother, that is?
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

I guess your friends will have to be slaves, and you'll be the master tempo, as Reaper doesn't have "receive midi clock" feature, nor "tap tempo", nor Rewire..
Live has all of this, so i would say that the "best" (ahem) solution is that you start to play at YOUR tempo, and your friends will use Live's taptempo feature...
Not the best, you won't be synced for long, but i had 2 friends that played live gigs during 2 years with 2 laptop running FL, synced only with tap tempo, and it was alright !
Some taptempo plugins exist, but Reaper doesn't support them.
THat is true that i would like both (one day) that REaper supports midi clock in, and also tap tempo (or tap tempo plugins, if no native tap tempo...).

An amazing thing woudl be that Reaper makes its own Rearoute_midi, gathering cross-app midi flow sharing AND transport/tempo infos, like REwire, but a lot more and better
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Amether

Right. Ok cool. I just thought maybe there was a hidden midi reeceive lurking somewhere... thanks!
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote