Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #81
Ralphm773
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Thank you ST. Worth every moment knowing others are getting use out of it. Enjoy!
Thank you so much, This was such a big help!
Ralphm773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #82
0ri0n

Quote:
It may be possible to compile for mac but I'm not sure how. I'll poke around the next chance I get but it may or may not be possible.
I just picked up a faderport last week and would love to try this out on my mac. If 'reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll' can be compiled as a dylib instead of dll, you should be able to throw it into the Reaper.app Contents/Plugins directory and hopefully get the same functionality...easier said than done, I'm sure as I'm not sure how the ini file would factor into that.
0ri0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #83
Ralphm773

Default Footswitch

Hey karbo, I have the BOSS FS-6 Dual Foot Switch, down the road can you let me know if there is a Action ID to activate both switches?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOSS FS-6 Dual Foot Switch.jpg (21.7 KB, 778 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #84
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphm773 View Post
Hey karbo, I have the BOSS FS-6 Dual Foot Switch, down the road can you let me know if there is a Action ID to activate both switches?
With the Faderport only having a single footswitch input, it would have no way to know the difference between two switches. However, the Lodigy UMI3 works great for this and you can assign individual actions to any/all of its three footswitches. It doesn't even require the Faderport, its USB. I use it along with the faderport.

http://logidy.com/
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #85
Ralphm773

Quote:
With the Faderport only having a single footswitch input, it would have no way to know the difference between two switches. However, the Lodigy UMI3 works great for this and you can assign individual actions to any/all of its three footswitches. It doesn't even require the Faderport, its USB. I use it along with the faderport.

http://logidy.com/
Awesome thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #86
Bigopigo

Default Track selecting.

Great 2013 to all!

Just one simple question: how can i get faderport to control the track i select with the mouse?

Have it for 2 months and never really could do that.

Thanks!
Bigopigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #87
Ralphm773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post
Great 2013 to all!

Just one simple question: how can i get faderport to control the track i select with the mouse?

Have it for 2 months and never really could do that.

Thanks!
I've only been using the FP a few days, I do know that using the channel select arrows "on the FaderPort" selects the track, highlights it and then controls it. At least on mine it does.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #88
Bigopigo

That is the way vive been using it.
But i have a friend tha selects traço with mouse and it becomes active on FP.
Same w7, firmware, driver, etc...
Strange, right?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #89
karbomusic

Quote:
That is the way vive been using it.
But i have a friend tha selects traço with mouse and it becomes active on FP.
Same w7, firmware, driver, etc...
Strange, right?
If you explicitly select a track with the mouse, the fader on the Faderport should now operate that track's volume fader. You do have the FP installed as a control surface, not a midi device right?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #90
Bigopigo

If i try to use it as control surface í get the midi port opening error.
Happens with both the normal and the xt selection.

Actualy i get the same error when trying to enable in/out in midi devices.

Last edited by Bigopigo; 01-02-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Complete info
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #91
karbomusic

Quote:
If i try to use it as control surface í get the midi port opening error.
Happens with both the normal and the xt selection.

Actualy i get the same error when trying to enable in/out in midi devices.
If you haven't already....

Make sure you completely disable any Faderport references in Preferences > Midi devices. Those cannot be enabled; they can be in the list but must be <disabled>.

Now go to Preferences > Control Surfaces and add the faderport there and make the input/output there as faderport.

Faderport will not work properly if any midi options are enabled in the normal midi device settings. You'll actually get weired unexpected behavior.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #92
Bigopigo

The settings i have are like you said.
I cant make a video bu if you see the pick with the tracks, the selected one is trk2 but FP onnly moves the master. The only way to move tr2 fader is to use FP Channel Select swithes and surf there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MidiMenu.jpg (59.2 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg CtrSurfMenu.jpg (34.8 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg TrkSel.jpg (26.2 KB, 631 views)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #93
karbomusic

Quote:
The settings i have are like you said.
I cant make a video bu if you see the pick with the tracks, the selected one is trk2 but FP onnly moves the master. The only way to move tr2 fader is to use FP Channel Select swithes and surf there.
Weird, do you know which FP firmware version you are using?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #94
Bigopigo

The latest from here: http://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort/downloads
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #95
karbomusic

Quote:
If you have 1.3.5 as noted in your link, you'll need the 1.3.8 patch below. 1.3.5 introduces of all things, fader issues:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=71

Why they don't note this in the main link is beyond me.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #96
Bigopigo

Just flash it and no go. Every thing works except that select with mouse thing. Crazy...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #97
karbomusic

Quote:
Just flash it and no go. Every thing works except that select with mouse thing. Crazy...
So if you had three tracks 1,2,3.

Track 1 is at -10dB
Track 2 is at 0dB
Track 3 is at +10dB

As you click on tracks and switch between them, the faderport fader doesn't follow? I could be wrong but that sounds like one of the issues in the 1.3.5 firmware but don't quote me. So, I guess as a last ditched effort redo everything one final time when you have time just to make sure:

-> Remove faderport from reaper.
-> Confirm the firmware is 1.3.8.
-> Delete reaper_csurf.dll and keep the XT dll instead.
-> Reboot, add everything back as FaderPortXT (double check the very first post in this thread in case I forgot anything).

If that doesn't do it, I'm out of ideas for the moment.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #98
Bigopigo

No. Just did everything again and FP works great... without jumping to mouse selected track (except with bank select on fp)

Like i said, strange as hell.

Can you please check if your driver says same as mine (pic)?

Thanks for your pacience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FPW7driver.JPG (37.8 KB, 748 views)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #99
karbomusic

Quote:
No. Just did everything again and FP works great... without jumping to mouse selected track (except with bank select on fp)

Like i said, strange as hell.

Can you please check if your driver says same as mine (pic)?

Thanks for your pacience.
I'll check just not at home right now. I don't "think" that driver will matter as that is just the underlying windows USB driver if I'm reading it correctly. I'm on Win8 nowadays so it may be different version anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #100
Bigopigo

Just tested FP with my notebook, same os/reaper, and it runs ok.

Crazy...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #101
Airmann

Default Awesome !

Hey Karbo,

thanks for this driver. I'm happy to see that the Reaper Faderport implementation gets some updates

I'm using Renoise+Reaper as DAW's. Some time ago I also implemented a FaderPort driver for Renoise.

http://code.google.com/p/airmann-faderport-driver/

Though it has a slightly different feature set, the main features are the same as in Reaper. I also wrote a PDF manual which covers the complete Faderport MIDI command set and some Faderport-related troubleshooting.

Maybe this can be helpfull in any way ?

See also:

Controlling Renoise Pre-/Postmixer with Faderport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKPukAepyg

Controlling VST Effects with Faderport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXXOdGBc_gs
Airmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #102
DuX

That's a very well implemented driver for FaderPort under Renoise, Airmann, to say the least. Excellent. You can even control the FX so easily. Wow! I can bet you can write synth/fx parameters automation in Renoise with it. So far we can't do that in Reaper, unfortunately. Just volume/pan automation. So I have to use another [less precise, only 0-128] controller for writing synth/fx automation. That's a shame. I'm always looking at this fader thinking "grrrr, why can't I use this instead??". It's mostly Presonus to blame. They support Cubase/Nuendo, ProTools, their Studio One, and pretty much nothing else. That sucks. And HUI protocol works pitifully pitiful with FaderPort. This is my first and last purchase of something Presonus. I never liked that company anyway... their products are known to fail a lot. I'm happy that FaderPort is working as it is with Reaper, and it's great, no problems of any kind, thankfully.

I think I know what the problem is with your Reaper, Bigopigo, but I can't remember any more what setting you should "tick". There are so many settings... something about the "selected track with a mouse" somewhere in "Preferences", I think. Oh, I think this is it, under "editing behaviour>mouse": check "mouse click on volume/pan faders and track buttons changes track selection". Well, that should be ticked anyway.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 01-14-2013 at 02:51 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #103
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmann View Post
Hey Karbo,

thanks for this driver. I'm happy to see that the Reaper Faderport implementation gets some updates

I'm using Renoise+Reaper as DAW's. Some time ago I also implemented a FaderPort driver for Renoise.

http://code.google.com/p/airmann-faderport-driver/

Though it has a slightly different feature set, the main features are the same as in Reaper. I also wrote a PDF manual which covers the complete Faderport MIDI command set and some Faderport-related troubleshooting.

Maybe this can be helpfull in any way ?

See also:

Controlling Renoise Pre-/Postmixer with Faderport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKPukAepyg

Controlling VST Effects with Faderport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXXOdGBc_gs
Sorry I missed this but looks like great work! I'll take a look at the code next time I have some free time as I have been buried lately.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #104
Schöpke

Default New user with a question

Hello and good morning,

this is my first post in the forum, I just discovered Reaper and have experimented with it for a couple of days now. I have been sitting over the DAW/DAW controller combination problem for quite a while now. Reaper/Faderport does look like a viable solution to me; also, Reaper is not only the most customizable, but also the most beautiful DAW out there.

I have a couple of questions for you, karbomusic: Is it possible to *scrub* with your Faderport X driver? someone in the thread said it was so. Is it maybe even possible to "fast scrub"?

Background: I'd like to record voice-overs, and I'd want the text to be in the foreground and the DAW in the background (That's why I am looking for a controller solution btw). In case of a mistake, I would scrub back a bit till silence occurs (meaning beginning of faulty sentence), then start recording from there with some additional pre-roll. With some exercise I should be able to achieve decent recordings right fast. Reaper can do this. But can this also be done with Faderport and Reaper in the background?

Best wishes and thanks for your terrific work,
Schöpke

Last edited by Schöpke; 01-16-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Schöpke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #105
Airmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
That's a very well implemented driver for FaderPort under Renoise, Airmann, to say the least. Excellent. You can even control the FX so easily. Wow! I can bet you can write synth/fx parameters automation in Renoise with it. So far we can't do that in Reaper, unfortunately. Just volume/pan automation. So I have to use another [less precise, only 0-128] controller for writing synth/fx automation. That's a shame. I'm always looking at this fader thinking "grrrr, why can't I use this instead??". It's mostly Presonus to blame.
Hey thanks man, yes it's possible to read, write, touch, latch all intern Renoise parameters and also VSTi/e, AU, etc. stuff. That's because all parameters are handled in (almost) the same way inside Renoise.

@Blame Presonus:
My driver is more complex than the original Reaper FaderPort driver from Justin. This means in the case of Presonus: it actually would cost time and money to develop a similar driver for Reaper - preassumed that Reaper provides the necessary parameter control interfaces (not sure about that). And this is probably a Reason why Presonus doesn't provide a specific driver: it's just to expensive to do that for every DAW out there.

Nonetheless, I informed Presonus about my driver, posted in the forum, emailed to several Presonus people etc., but there was never a reply nor any kind of reaction. That is a bit frustrating, especially because I never demanded money and everything is OpenSource.

That all said Faderport is actually a totally dumb midi controller. The fader and pan pot included. The only problem with the fader is: it has a resolution of 1024 discrete values, whereas midi standard is 128 values. So for transmitting the values there are two seperate midi messages necessary. And thus it is difficult to "map/bind" the fader via midi learning etc. to a specific parameter. Instead the mapping mechanism must be explicitly coded.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #106
Airmann

Quote:
Sorry I missed this but looks like great work! I'll take a look at the code next time I have some free time as I have been buried lately.
Cool, maybe the PDF manual is even more interesting than the LUA code, since it's also a kind of devel/architecture manual.
See http://code.google.com/p/airmann-fad...nual_1_0_2.pdf. Especially Section "Controls in Detail"
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #107
DuX

Thank you for the insight, Airmann. Yeah, Presonus is not really interested in developing a better and more functional driver for everything. It would be a "waste of resources". But they're glad to sell it to you. For sure. I cannot hate more all this "friendship" within the chosen companies, so the products work with only the "chosen DAWs". Hail sacred capitalism, and it's monopolistic followers. Anyway, thanks to generous people like Karbomusic, we can control Reaper with it, and in a very comfortable way. I do have an additional controller now for synth automation, but it does feel a little bit too excessive to have to have another controller for that. Faderport could have been used for everything, and they should have provided us with all that. It's not nuclear science... just a little driver to "transcribe" the Faderport's commands into the DAW commands. I could make a driver like that in a few days, not even that, so shame on them for releasing a great product without a great software support. Sadly, I'm the one who always says to people: "watch out for the support and driver, don't get blinded by the hardware". LOL

In the end, that hardware can become just a piece of equipment lying somewhere in your studio if it's unsupported, and then you can wipe your bum with it. But they made a sale. Earned money. It makes the user look stupid. And yes we are, all the way.

For example, wouldn't it be logical to control the media player with this, too? I would like it to. It's a product that's got transport commands on it, so why not? But nooooo... it's only restricted to the DAW you use. I cannot really understand that, and I'm really, really angry right now at Presonus. I've heard horrible stories about their preamps, and I will never even consider buying one from them. I'm perfectly satisfied with my DIY ones, and the TC Konnekt ones, anyway.

Sisters of Mercy: First and Last and Always. LOL The fader is great, and feels almost like the ones on a console I sometimes work with [Soundcraft Spirit]. I love this fader.

Last edited by DuX; 01-22-2013 at 02:54 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #108
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmann View Post
Cool, maybe the PDF manual is even more interesting than the LUA code, since it's also a kind of devel/architecture manual.
See http://code.google.com/p/airmann-fad...nual_1_0_2.pdf. Especially Section "Controls in Detail"
Thanks, most anything Reaper related is at the mercy of what events and interfaces reaper exposes via its API for Faderport to consume. I haven't looked lately but I don't think everything is avaiable in Reaper's external interface. Control of automation lanes comes to mind but could be wrong as I don't typically spend that much time with it, a couple hours here and there at most but IIRC most or all exposed functions are at least defined in the base csurf SDK.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #109
Airmann

Quote:
Thanks, most anything Reaper related is at the mercy of what events and interfaces reaper exposes via its API for Faderport to consume. I haven't looked lately but I don't think everything is avaiable in Reaper's external interface. Control of automation lanes comes to mind but could be wrong as I don't typically spend that much time with it, a couple hours here and there at most but IIRC most or all exposed functions are at least defined in the base csurf SDK.
obviously the API seems to be the main limiting factor. That was partly the same in Renoise, but they really provide a nice scripting API in the meanwhile. Also the developers implemented some functions that I missed. Especially they provide a decent Observer-Notify model for almost everything.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #110
Bigopigo

Default Another clue.

If i select Hui instead of faderport in contrl surfaces it activates FP in the track i select with mouse...

Back to faderport and it doesnt anymore.

Any clue?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #111
JM56

Reaper Control Surface Error:

Control Surface Error opening MIDI inputs and outputs.

I have tried enabling the in port for control messages, and not.

Error occurs with reaper dll and XT dll.

Any clues?

Last edited by JM56; 03-04-2013 at 06:24 AM.
JM56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #112
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM56 View Post

Error occurs with reaper dll and FX dll.

Any clues?
Make sure you enable it under preferences Control Surfaces and DISABLE in Midi Devices? It won't work if treating like a standard MIDI device, must be added under control surfaces.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #113
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM56 View Post

Error occurs with reaper dll and FX dll.

Any clues?
I had problems after following Presonus advice to upgrade my firmware, found a link (here i believe) to the correct version and ran it so mine's been OK since.. Sorry if it's no help (I didn't read the whole thread)..
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #114
Andy_bt

Hi, is it some way to control the "dual knobs" pan conf. with the Faderport (like shift + pan to tweak the right pot), the standard Reaper template doesn't seem to allow that and I couldn' get the linked files to work with v4.33...? user error?
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #115
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Hi, is it some way to control the "dual knobs" pan conf. with the Faderport (like shift + pan to tweak the right pot), the standard Reaper template doesn't seem to allow that and I couldn' get the linked files to work with v4.33...? user error?
A.
That isn't available, the pan knob just controls the main pan knob (or scrolls through tracks if you have the latest faderportxt installed and the option set in the ini file).
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #116
Andy_bt

Quote:
That isn't available, the pan knob just controls the main pan knob (or scrolls through tracks if you have the latest faderportxt installed and the option set in the ini file).
Thanks Karbomusic!
So I really need a -3/-4.5dB "stereo" pan mode! hehe
A.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #117
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Thanks Karbomusic!
So I really need a -3/-4.5dB "stereo" pan mode! hehe
A.
It might be possible for me to code it in (shift+pan) but I'm sure it may be awhile as I'm pretty slammed right now. However, I'll take a peek next time I pull the code up.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #118
Andy_bt

Quote:
It might be possible for me to code it in (shift+pan) but I'm sure it may be awhile as I'm pretty slammed right now. However, I'll take a peek next time I pull the code up.
Great, thanks man!
Fingers crossed!
A.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #119
jaaypeso

Hey Karbo,
AMAZING work making Reaper work with the faderport. I've been using reaper for years and i'm looking into getting a faderport for my Windows 7 64 bit system (running 64 bit reaper). I didn't see anybody reporting any known issues with the 64 bit reaper, but please let me know if any exist.

I read every post in this great thread, and thought it would be helpful to me (when I buy the faderport today or tomorrow) and others to have the instructions all compiled in one post. I compiled these instruction from your previous posts in hopes of giving a step by step all in one place for myself and others...is there anything else to be added/changed?

INSTALLATION
Download: FaderportXT_2012_Beta_1.zip (found on pg. 2 of this thread)
1. Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll and reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to \Reaper\Plugins
2. In reaper go to Options > Preferences > Control Surfaces
3. Highlight and remove the existing PreSonus FaderPort Control Surface in the list (if you already had Faderport installed previously).
4. Click Add and choose "Presonus FaderPort XT" from the list. If this exact choice isn't in the list, make sure the dll is in the \reaper\plugins directory and Reaper has been restarted!
5. Choose FaderPort for both the MIDI Input and MIDI Output and click OK twice.
6. The XT version of FaderPort is now ready to use.

For issues with faderport firmware (such as 1.3.5 known to have issues):
-> Remove faderport from reaper.
-> Confirm the firmware number: If its not 1.3.8 go to the following link.
See link for version 1.3.8 http://support.presonus.com/entries/...fader-solution
-> Delete reaper_csurf.dll and keep the XT dll instead.
-> Reboot, add everything back as FaderPortXT

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Also Karbo, is it still the case, as I read in a post somewhere that when installing new versions of reaper the reaper_csurf.dll file is reinstalled into the plugins folder, and needs to be removed or has that been addressed somehow?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #120
karbomusic

Hi jaaypeso,

Yes you still need to go back and manually delete the default csurf.dll and the instructions you listed should work, just let us know how it goes.